• PC gaming
  • Computers
  • Games
  • Fallout
  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
October 29, 2008 12:41:22 AM

Okay, I just bought and installed Fallout 3. I played for about an hour, then the game stopped responding. I exited and went to bring it back up, only to realize it decided to now "detect my hardware" for the "first time," a process I already went through. I loaded up the game and found that it hadn't saved ANYTHING, even though I had been telling it to save. Now, I went to play COD2 and now that game won't last 10 mins without not responding, a problem I've never had before. What's going on? Are these things related?

Also, there was a weird popup when I first loaded Fallour that said I need to sign in and choose a storage device, something requried on the 360 but not on the PC. I signed it with my live gamertag, but still got the message about the storage device. Weird?

More about : fallout ruins computer

October 29, 2008 1:58:50 PM

To clarify - PC or Xbox360 software? (i assume 360?)
October 29, 2008 6:18:08 PM

pr2thej said:
To clarify - PC or Xbox360 software? (i assume 360?)

Did you read the title of the post? It says "Fallout 3 Ruins Computer?"
If you read the first line of the OP, he said "installed". You do not "install" on the 360. So I think its safe to assume its a PC.
Related resources
October 29, 2008 6:19:14 PM

It sounds like a bizarre issue, I really hope this doesn't happen to me.
October 29, 2008 10:42:51 PM

Well, I can at least play it now. It seems that I have to log in under live in order to save, extremely weird. It still freezes up every 15 mins or so, I've learned to time my saves appropriately. I think it has to do with the fact that my processor runs at 55 idle, and right after I exit the game it says 90C. I have a cooler coming in soon from newegg which might help solve the problem. Are processors like graphics cards where it slows itself down when it detects its overheating? Its a Q6600 with a stock cooler currently.
October 29, 2008 10:52:29 PM

We'll soon find out in like 2 days after i got it to work on win2K.
hopefully it works right.
A old but golden hint is always.. have a program that backs up your registry , either automatic daily , or manual , that way if anything happens , theres a like 80% chance with the backup you can restore your system settings again.
I have learned the hard way , playing a game that crashed and corrupted the NTcore something , wich seems to be the sofware CPU from your OS or so the errors says :/ ., whereafter you gotto reinstall windows again , unless you back up something . i am so happy i backup 2 times a week haha , it saved my ass more as once
:D 
October 30, 2008 6:11:28 AM

It may have nothing to do with the problem, but i choose to blame SecuRom!! :D 
October 30, 2008 7:46:35 AM

/offtopic

To answer Trialsking, yes i did read it...3 times in fact and was still confused.
But i guess i must have missed all those Live Gamertags on the PC -_-
October 30, 2008 8:14:32 AM

Yes, it is freezing because your CPU is too hot! :non: 
If you are OCing, back it off until you get new cooler. If you are at stock speed, your heatsink has come loose on 1 or more corners. You may be able to reattach, or you may have to remove, clean and apply fresh thermal compound. When attaching the 4th pin, the opposite one can often come loose.

Mike.
October 30, 2008 9:16:13 PM

The saddest part is that im not even overclocking. Just a really bad stock CPU cooler. I have a new one coming in a few days that will hopefully fix the problem. Freezer pro 7 or something like that. I'm looking at coretemps right now, with only Firefox running, and on average they're all 57 C. When I was doing a macaffee scan last night, they all went up to 90C.
October 30, 2008 9:43:06 PM

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
Duh!! You have badly FITTED stock cooler, or no airflow through your case, which will prevent new cooler working also. :pt1cable: 
Quote:
If you are at stock speed, your heatsink has come loose on 1 or more corners. You may be able to reattach, or you may have to remove, clean and apply fresh thermal compound. When attaching the 4th pin, the opposite one can often come loose.

Mike.
October 30, 2008 9:44:29 PM

^ +1. Reset the heatsink (or wait for the new one) and make sure to clean the old thermal paste off and apply some new paste
October 30, 2008 9:47:46 PM

It could be hidden drivers from SecuRom conflicting with other existing drms. :p 
October 30, 2008 11:46:57 PM

dagger said:
It could be hidden drivers from SecuRom conflicting with other existing drms. :p 

well, if hes getting 57 idle and 90 load, i doubt it has anything to do with drm.
October 31, 2008 6:38:59 AM

It always has something to do with DRM.
DRM is the new Gremlin of the 50's.
TV went out... DRM!
Car won't start... DRM!!!
Computer Game won't run right.... EA!!! Ohh wait... I meant... Oh hell... EA and DRM are the same thing aren't they?
October 31, 2008 5:17:41 PM

it's clearly your CPU - my advice is leave it until you get your new cooler, then use your pc. You don't want to fry it just for the sake of a couple of days' gamimg....... What case have you got btw? It's v. important because it could be giving really low air circulation or letting in too much dust which is clogging up your psu fan, cpu fan, mobo and ram. Have a look - clean off the dust with compressed air. If it's air circulation, tidy up your wiring to improve flow. Good luck mate!
October 31, 2008 11:11:11 PM

I didn't think fallout 3 was a drm game..
October 31, 2008 11:53:12 PM

It is. Initally they said it wouldn't ship with any DRM on it, but once it shipped out low and behold SecuRom was present.... Lousy bethesda.

However there is good news that i just stumbled upon:
http://bethblog.com/index.php/2008/10/30/fallout-3-uses...
Supposedly they will only be using SecuRom for a disk check when you install / play the game. You still have to deal with the rootkit like software being installed on your system without your knowledge. However there will be no limit to the installs
November 2, 2008 2:48:11 PM

My case is the NZXT Zero. Here is a link if you want to look at it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't think this is the problem, as the system usually runs around 38C on load, which I think is okay. Does anyone know any good system temperature monitors? I used to use AI Suite, but that stopped working so now I don't know how to monitor case temperatures.

The graphics card is an 8800GTX, if that helps.
November 2, 2008 4:45:53 PM

Your heatsink isn't properly mounted, thats the problem (unless you fixed it and didn't post that). Your going to have to reseat your heat sink to get your cpu temps under control
!