Windows explorer / Search

Having done a complete software install onto another hard disk I tried to
use Windows explorer / Search to find a couple of files (address book and a
word template) to transfer over. I searched on *.wab and normal.dot which
didn't return the files I was looking for. I found them eventually buried
in Documents and settings but I was rather disappointed that search didn't
find these files.

Does anyone know why these files were not found and if there is a way of
getting search to include all files. (Windows Explorer / Folder options /
View is set to show all hidden files and folders).

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway
4 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer search

    On 17/12/2004 Bill Ridgeway wrote:

    > Having done a complete software install onto another hard disk I
    > tried to use Windows explorer / Search to find a couple of files
    > (address book and a word template) to transfer over. I searched on
    > *.wab and normal.dot which didn't return the files I was looking for.
    > I found them eventually buried in Documents and settings but I was
    > rather disappointed that search didn't find these files.
    >
    > Does anyone know why these files were not found and if there is a way
    > of getting search to include all files. (Windows Explorer / Folder
    > options / View is set to show all hidden files and folders).
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway

    There are some options on the search dialog, left hand panel towards
    the bottom, with double chevrons/arrows.

    Click on 'More Advanced Options' and see what's selected, you can
    choose to search for hidden files/folders and include/exclude sub
    folders.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

    Hello!

    Try Google Desktop Search!

    WBR, Tom Frisch
    HideIt! - The best wizard to hide secret files
    http://www.guard-software.com/

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:20:35 GMT, Bill Ridgeway wrote:

    > Having done a complete software install onto another hard disk I tried to
    > use Windows explorer / Search to find a couple of files (address book and a
    > word template) to transfer over. I searched on *.wab and normal.dot which
    > didn't return the files I was looking for. I found them eventually buried
    > in Documents and settings but I was rather disappointed that search didn't
    > find these files.
    >
    > Does anyone know why these files were not found and if there is a way of
    > getting search to include all files. (Windows Explorer / Folder options /
    > View is set to show all hidden files and folders).
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway

    May need to go back to Folder Options> View and remove the check from "Hide
    system protected files and folders." It's a few lines down the list from
    the other change that you made.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Windows Explorer Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP