Need help with Internet Printing. Server 2008 / Win 7

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
Hey everyone,

I can't seem to get IPP working on a new server 2008 box. I have added the IIS Role and Internet Printing Features. Am I missing something?

My understanding is that from a client machine, such as my Windows 7 device, I should be able to go to IE and browse to: "http:/[My Server Name or IP]/Printers" and I should be able to map anyone of the printers installed on that file/print server to my machine.

When I attempt to put that URL into IE, I get the following IIS error:

"Server Error
404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

Dozza_04

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I get the same problem, did you manage to fix it???

I'd love to know how you overcome it if you did.

jswingen

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Definitely added role a long time ago. Even deleted and re-installed. Did not help. On my server the default site is where the printers directory is located. I can put a "dummy" html page in the windows/web/printers directory and see it fine. However when issuing the http://www.servername.com/printers URL I get a 404 error. Default page is set correctly too in IIS Manager. I wonder if this has something to do with the security vulnerability that was discovered. MS may have shut this capability down.

Not using proxy. What do you mean about SNMP being configured properly? What needs to change from default config?

Thanks

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

How Internet Printing Communicates with Sites on the Internet

The Internet printing process is as follows:
A person connects to a print server over the Internet by typing the URL for the print device.

The HTTP request is sent over the Internet to the print server.

The print server requires the client to provide authentication information. This ensures that only authorized users print documents on the print server.

After the server authenticates the user, the server presents status information to the user by using Active Server Pages (ASP), which contain information about currently available printers.

When the user connects to any of the printers on the Internet printing Web page, the client (running, for example, Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008) first tries to find a driver for the printer locally. If an appropriate driver cannot be found, the print server generates a cabinet file (.cab file, also known as a setup file) that contains the appropriate printer driver files. The print server downloads the .cab file to the client computer. The user on the client computer is prompted for permission to download the .cab file.

The client computer downloads printer drivers and connects to the printer using either Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) or a remote procedure call (RPC), depending on the security zone that the printer share is in. The security zone is configured on the client computer through Internet Options in Control Panel. With a Medium-high or Medium security zone, IPP is used, and with a Medium-low security zone, RPC is used.

After users connect to an Internet printer, they can send documents to the print server.

Communication for Internet printing uses IPP or RPC with HTTP (or HTTPS) over any port that the print server has configured for this service. Because the service is using HTTP or HTTPS, this is typically port 80 or port 443. Because Internet printing supports HTTPS traffic, communication can be encrypted, depending on the user’s Internet browser settings.

By default, a computer running Windows Server 2008 can act as a client computer that uses Internet printing. Users of the computer who make print requests must be authenticated by the print server, however, before they can use any of the printers connected to that server. To enable a computer running Windows Server 2008 to act as a server supporting Internet printing, you must install the Web Server (IIS) role, the Print Services role, and the Internet Printing role service in the Print Services role.

TRENDING THREADS