Asus A7N8X Deluxe: where's the damn HDD connector?

OuT

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
Just got my Asus A7N8X Deluxe hooked up and working perfectly, but I could never find where the hard drive activity light connects to on the motherboard. There is a small pin that says MLED, I have the led connected to it and it doesn't work. (Damn, now that I think about it, I might need to just flip the connector around, I'll have to try that when I get home.)

Well anyway, if that isn't the connector and you know where it is (as the instruction manual doesn't refer to any other led except for the power), do you mind helping me? Thanks...

andlcs

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
I had the same problem when I built my system. On my Asus board the HDDLED (2-pin) is not at the front panel connector and not in the same page of the manual as the others front panel connectors. Look your MOBO manual again.

OuT

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
I've read the manual several dozen times (this was my first build, I didn't want to screw anything up.)

Well anyway, I did a search for a downloadable manual, and the one I found has the location of the IDE LED connector (the one I received with the board doesn't.) Can't wait to get home to fix that little bastard!

Gonna have to keep this manual since its alot better and more in-depth(and in color.)

Thanks again!

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
It's down there about an inch from the front panel connectors. Look at your quick reference sheet that came with your motherboard.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2200+, A7N8X, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, Geforce3 Ti-500, Audigy Platinum, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro, and more neon than a ghetto sled </font color=purple>

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
Motherboard manuals always seem to be less then accurate and complete, therefore I tend to always look at the area of the mobo that appears to be the front panel connectors. Usually, printed in small white lettering you'll find the IDE LED words written.

I'm sort of judgemental about the manuals because of how bad they traditionally have. I'm in awe, at times, at people that figured some of this stuff out considering the state of the manuals.

From as far back as I can remember most mobos used to have the ide led connector as part of the front panel connector. Hehe, it is a front panel connector after all. But on most recent boards the front panel connectors have been moved off the front panel connector to a set of pins just near it.