CD-RW/DVD-ROM integrated

can some one please tell me the difference beteen CD-RW/DVD-ROM
combo-integrated and only DVD-RW integrated what is integrated mean?
2 answers Last reply
More about integrated

    thank you ted so very much i am going bonkers trying to buy a new notebook
    and want to know all i can about the way the describe it i have a desktop
    now want a wireless notebook eek!! hope i do well any advice on the averatec
    model AV3250px?

    "sunlover61" wrote:

    > can some one please tell me the difference beteen CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    > combo-integrated and only DVD-RW integrated what is integrated mean?

    Don't you just love all those computer abbreviations? This will help you
    out:

    ROM means 'read only memory'. The key part of that is "read only". A CD-ROM
    or a DVD-ROM is a CD or DVD that can be read, but not written to. A standard
    music CD or a movie on DVD are examples of disks that can be read only, but
    not written to.

    A CD-ROM drive is a drive that can read CDs, but cannot write CDs. Same
    thing with a DVD-ROM drove. In advertising, the word "drive" is often left
    off.

    Are you with me so far? It's about to get interesting.

    A CD-R is a CD that can be written to once only. A CD-RW is a CD that can be
    erased and re-written ("RW"), up to 1,000 times. Any drive that can write to
    a CD-RW can also write to a CD-R. (But not vice versa.) And any drive that
    can write to a CD can read a CD. Same thing with DVD-R and DVD-RW.

    So here goes:
    1) A "CD-RW/DVD-ROM" drive can write to CD-Rs and CD-RWs and can read CDs.
    In addition, it can read DVDs, but not write to them. Obviously, combo means
    'combined' and 'integrated' is stuck in there for people who think combo is
    something you do to your hair.
    2) A "DVD-RW" drive can write to DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs and can read DVDs. But
    any drive that can write and read DVDs can also write and read CDs. So a
    DVD-RW drive does it all.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "sunlover61" <sunlover61@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > can some one please tell me the difference beteen CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    > combo-integrated and only DVD-RW integrated what is integrated mean?

DVD Drives Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP