Steph

I'm running a WinXPpro system and after setting up a new User in -Control
Panel | User Accounts- I found that the new User can't logon from the Welcome
screen.
(Neither can the 'Guest' by the way)
Shouldn't there be a User Profile automatically created in Documents and
Settings? as I couldn't find it there.

"steph13" wrote:
> I'm running a WinXPpro system and after setting up a new User
> in -Control
> Panel | User Accounts- I found that the new User can't logon
> from the Welcome
> screen.
> (Neither can the 'Guest' by the way)
> Shouldn't there be a User Profile automatically created in
> Documents and
> Settings? as I couldn't find it there.

I don’t think any files are created there until the user logs in for
the first time. I know by default the guest account is disabled. Did
you add a password for the new user? What error do you get when you
try to log in?

Rob

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/New-Users-User-Profiles-ftopict238964.html

Steph

So far that no files are created until the user logs on for the first time I
got in the meantime myself, thanx anyway. The Guest account is enabled (and
must be, otherwise there wouldn't be any button on the Welcome screen). I
have no passwords set up for any of the accounts in question. As for Error
messages, I don't get any for the User account, but the following for the
Guest account:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1521
Date: 2004/12/21
Time: 10:51:01 AM
User: BLUEYONDER\Guest
Computer: BLUEYONDER
Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is
attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will
not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible causes of this error
include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem
persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The system cannot find the path specified.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1511
Date: 2004/12/21
Time: 10:51:03 AM
User: BLUEYONDER\Guest
Computer: BLUEYONDER
Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary
profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1500
Date: 2004/12/21
Time: 10:51:09 AM
User: BLUEYONDER\Guest
Computer: BLUEYONDER
Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that
you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning
correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified.

NOTE! this machine of mine is NOT on a network (I have checked again and
again, disabled network cards and ran the NetworkWizard to specify that it is
a stand alone computer, i.e. an ordinary workstation.

When following the Link for further Information, I get this:

Details

We're sorry
There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event
Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use the links
in the Support area to determine whether any additional information might be
available elsewhere.

Thank you for searching on this message; your search helps us identify those
areas for which we need to provide more information.

"steph13" wrote:
> [...]
> areas for which we need to provide more information.
>

> "roboco302" wrote:
>
> > "steph13" wrote:
>  > > I'm running a WinXPpro system and after setting up
> a new User
>  > > in -Control
>  > > Panel | User Accounts- I found that the new User
> can't logon
>  > > from the Welcome
>  > > screen.
>  > > (Neither can the 'Guest' by the way)
>  > > Shouldn't there be a User Profile automatically
> created in
>  > > Documents and
>  > > Settings? as I couldn't find it there.
> >
> > I don’t think any files are created there until the user
> logs in for
> > the first time. I know by default the guest account is
> disabled. Did
> > you add a password for the new user? What error do you get

Yes, the links that Microsoft gives you for errors are pretty much
useless. There is never an answer when you follow the link. I don’t
know why they don’t get rid of that function or at least fix it!!!

So you are now able to get in with your new user account but not with
the guest account? Is your new account an admin account? Do you need
to use the guest account or could you just create a similar one to fix
your problem? That error message is a strange one since you are not on
a network...

When you check the advanced properties for the guest account do you
see it pointing anywhere for the profile path or is it blank?

Rob

--
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=731297