• Good
  • 91 %
  • Bad
  • 10 %
October 30, 2008 8:46:23 PM

Has anyone tried Red Alert 3 yet? What do you think of it? :p 

More about : red alert

October 30, 2008 9:14:02 PM

Playing it now. I played the MP beta for several weeks and loved it. Big fan of the new units and the addition of the Japanese faction. I started the single player campaign and it's good so far, not great. Stay tuned for more, review should be online next week.
October 30, 2008 9:18:48 PM

Dune 2000 was the first real computer game I ever played, Tiberiun Sun and RA2 were second and third. This series means a lot to me and i can't wait for RA3 to come out. Regardless of the reviews, I will buy this game.
Related resources
October 30, 2008 9:30:27 PM

I like it a lot so far. I think that the presentation style, graphics engine and feel are all very well done. I like it much more than command and conquer 3, which I didn't dislike. This should do well to hold me over until Starcraft 2.

Best,

3Ball
October 30, 2008 11:23:47 PM

i dont like it, i gave it a quick shot, and it feels unbalanced to me....

japanese are far to powerful. - i used 4 mech to bring down an entire base, and there superweapon is overly powered.

allys require too much micro management - uve got to put men in the defense structures and in some vechiles to change the gun type that structure/unit has, takes to long when your being attacked. - also noticed that they feel alot like gdi, infact the airport is basically a copy of the one used in tiberium wars.

soviets are the most balanced.

ive played 3 skirmishes and 5 soviet missions, im happy to report that the difficulty in a skirmish is similiar to RA2 very difficult lol.
October 31, 2008 8:27:18 AM

Japanese eh?! .\ /.

Do they come with the latest iPod's and force you to participate in "Super Wiggle GOGO Dance Party 7" ?
October 31, 2008 4:23:42 PM

well house of the rising sun or whatever they are called...

i found a bug today, while playing as rising sun and you build two MCV the walls will no longer work they just refuse to link up.
October 31, 2008 5:46:33 PM

Limited installs = DO NOT WANT
October 31, 2008 6:40:23 PM

snarfies1 said:
Limited installs = DO NOT WANT

Something tells me that the whole secuROM has something to do with Blu-ray.

Yeah, most major games released next year will likely be on Blu-ray, such as PC version of RAGE, Crysis 2 bundle with Crysis and Warhead, and Starcraft II Complete Trilogy. They will all come with secuROM. It sucks, but the alternative is to stick with older games released before last year. Just like how CS 1.6 communities do.

How fast can you render CS 1.6 on GTX 280?
October 31, 2008 10:16:30 PM

I'll probably buy it when the price is more in line with what a long term rental should cost. If they want me to buy the game then they should let me keep the game. Simple as that.
October 31, 2008 10:24:39 PM

The alternative is using crack on it. :p 
October 31, 2008 10:28:55 PM

I would probably crack it anyway. It is simply the principle of the matter. I won't pirate it and I won't give them money thus encouraging more of this reprehensible behavior. I will simply wait until the uncracked product is at an exchange rate that I consider reasonable.
October 31, 2008 10:33:15 PM

infornography42 said:
I would probably crack it anyway. It is simply the principle of the matter. I won't pirate it and I won't give them money thus encouraging more of this reprehensible behavior. I will simply wait until the uncracked product is at an exchange rate that I consider reasonable.

What price would you consider reasonable?
October 31, 2008 10:46:02 PM

It's a C&C and no matter what I'll always get it.

Sucks to get treated like this but whatever, this one I'm not going to fight.

C&C1 was my first computer game. Well I actually got the bundle that came with I think cover op's but the hours on that was it for me. Bought all the C&C no matter what and even installed C&C 1 on my work laptop just for the hell of it and it's still a great game.

At lunch I picked up the Premier Edition of it. I'm # 55593. I freaking got like 100 for C&C 3, bah.
October 31, 2008 10:48:48 PM

It depends on several factors.
1. How long has the game been out? If it takes 10 years for it to hit $20 then I might not ever bother to pick it up. If it hits $20 in 6 months I would probably avoid it because the market has spoken and it does not want.

2. How good were the reviews/demo? For RA 3 things are looking very promising, but for other games like Farcry 2 ... a bit less so.

3. Do I care about the multiplayer experience? If so then the game's value will decrease much faster because within a couple of years of a game coming out, the community has mostly moved on to the next big game.

4. Has a better game come along that has thoroughly scratched the itch that game would have?

Assuming that none of those factors modify it much, about $20 to $30 is what I would consider, probably leaning more towards the $20 range.
November 3, 2008 11:52:08 AM

my rule of thumb is dont spend more that 25pound on a game, any game. i live right next to town and can normally pickup brand new titles for about 25 with manager specials and things, but i see any more money than that as a complete rip....

i generally think every hour of gameplay should be about a pound, so if a game cost 40 quid i should get 40 hours of gameplay.
November 4, 2008 10:52:14 AM

I'm considering getting this game, but could anyone tell me if it has the 30 fps cap like C&C3? I sure as heck hope it doesn't, because that drove me up a wall...
November 4, 2008 11:38:01 AM

SnareSpectre said:
I'm considering getting this game, but could anyone tell me if it has the 30 fps cap like C&C3? I sure as heck hope it doesn't, because that drove me up a wall...

Yes, the cap is there. :p 
November 4, 2008 4:57:42 PM

Anyone know of a way to take it off? I can understand a cap at 60, but it's very easy for me to tell a difference between 30 and 60, and I can't think of a single good reason to cap at that frame rate...it only serves to irritate the crap outta me!
November 5, 2008 7:35:34 AM

Found this:

"Couldn't tell you but I do know things in the game are linked directly to frame rate so if you increase frame rate, the game will play much much faster while if fram rate drops, everything goes slower.

It's also, I believe, how multiplayer RTS keeps in synch with ever player. The game runs at the speed of the slowest PC/connection. Otherwise, you would have one player building and moving much faster than the person with the slower computer."
November 5, 2008 8:19:54 AM

makes sense i suppose, personally i cant tell the 30fps limit in a rts, however if you said FPS or car racing or just about any other game i would agree.

i wont be getting Red Alert 3 i just found out that you cant play Co-op over the network, only online.
November 5, 2008 12:24:54 PM

I can't tell the 30 fps limit either...when I'm just watching the buildings build or the units fight. However, i can tell a huge difference when I'm scrolling around the map. Everything looks jumpy to me at 30. However, it IS something I got used to in C&C3 after a little while.
November 5, 2008 12:49:40 PM

Reading it again it actually seems a bit silly.

So some chap wants to try and beat me after i spend hundreds of pounds on the perfect rig and he has a old P4....my game is limited because he cant or isnt willing to upgrade.

Its balancing having a fair game against a good gaming experience.

What would you prefer?
November 5, 2008 4:05:09 PM

Obviously the game balance would be preferable...but I don't understand why the game can't run on both machines at different frame rates but at the same speed. Obviously people who play FPS games like COD4 don't have this issue at different frame rates, or even other RTS games. It just drives me up a wall to have a frame rate cap at HALF of what the human eye can perceive. Really it ought to be at 60...then everyone's happy!
Anonymous
September 12, 2009 1:25:41 PM

i always play RA3 but as you see in youtube.com, their comments in RA3 are very insulting.they say that RA3 sucks and tiberium wars rock,but i don't believe that!I love RA3!
February 5, 2010 7:10:14 PM

it is a good game
February 6, 2010 1:41:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!