Sign in with
Your question

Xbox360: WRT54G (or other Router) vs MS Wireless Adapter

Last response: in Video Games
October 31, 2008 6:37:54 AM

I just got an Xbox 360, and I'd like to go wireless. From what I understand, a $50 router (such as the WRT54G plus DD-WRT firmware) can replace the $100 MS Adapter.

However, I'm not as worried about the price, as I am about the time / aggravation factor in setting this up, and the performance I get in the end.

• Is the router setup usually quick and painless ?

• Is the MS Adapter a simple plug and play setup, or can it cause as many setup problems as a 3rd party router?

I'd really like to get as many opinions as possible.

• Also, is there any performance difference between these two setups?

Many Thanks
    November 1, 2008 7:24:15 PM

I got a 360 prenium about 4 weeks ago and have been using the microsoft wireless adapter, which installs easily - plug it in and go - although it has stopped working twice and needed to be unplugged and plugged back in ( a pain for me as my 360 is tucked away in a hifi rack). The performance on the microsoft adapter seems at least comaparable to the netgear card on my pc and is totally fine for online gaming, however streaming movies takes a few seconds to buffer and scanning through is tediously slow.

Using a router / range extender is definitely an option, but the hassle of setting it up can sometimes be difficult, i suspect it may be less reliable than the microsoft solution and there is no performance to be gained unless you use two MIMO / 802.11n routers - which would be expensive.

The good old ethernet cable is the cheapest, fastest and most reliable method in my opinion, however another option to consider may be a home powerline networking solution - I'm looking into this at the moment connecting one to my router and one to my xbox - unless I win the lottery tonight; then its a new house with more CAT5 than you can imagine....
    !