Difference between power schemes?

What't the difference between turning off the monitor or hdd after a set
time *and* the system going on either standby or hybernate?

--
PRNole
--------------------------------------

"Standby is a state in which your monitor and hard disks turn off,
so that your computer uses less power. When you want to use the
computer again, it comes out of standby quickly, and your desktop
is restored exactly as you left it. Use standby to save power when
you will be away from the computer for a short time while working.
Because Standby does not save your desktop state to disk, a power
failure while on Standby can cause you to lose unsaved information."

"Hibernation is a state in which your computer shuts down to save
power but first saves everything in memory on your hard disk.
When you restart the computer, your desktop is restored exactly
as you left it. Use hibernation to save power when you will be
away from the computer for an extended time while working."

Above info copied from XP's excellent "Help and Support Center".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"PRNole" wrote:

| What't the difference between turning off the monitor or hdd after a set
| time *and* the system going on either standby or hybernate?
|
| --
| PRNole
| --------------------------------------
| For email reply, please remove the 195

I should say I understand what standby and hibernate modes are and what
they do. I just don't know what is different about these options and
"turning off" the monitor or hdd via the power scheme settings.

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> "Standby is a state in which your monitor and hard disks turn off,
> so that your computer uses less power.

But, then, the power scheme setting have the options to either go on
"standby" -- or -- "turn off" the hdd and/or monitor.

So, what's the difference when one selects "standby" (when the monitor
and hdd turn off) or simply "turn off" either monitor or hdd?

--
PRNole
--------------------------------------

Perhaps Carey meant to give you a general understanding of what Standby is
because, in truth, it's a very complicated subject. There are several types
of Standby, which vary in the degree to which power is reduced to the
computer. Suffice it to say that, generally speaking Standby is the
equivalent of cutting the power to your monitor and hard disk, but there's
more to it than that.

Ted Zieglar

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:21:30 GMT, PRNole wrote:

> I should say I understand what standby and hibernate modes are and what
> they do. I just don't know what is different about these options and
> "turning off" the monitor or hdd via the power scheme settings.

Some hard drives are slow to spin back up again (increased wait time before
work can resume) - or - you may have strong feelings about not reducing and
increasing power to the drive repeatedly. In these cases, you would extend
the amount of time before the hard drive is allowed to "rest." Example:
You often leave the computer during a single work session. Setting the
monitor at 5-10 minutes and the drive to 30 minutes would lessen the number
of times (and the amount of time) of waiting for the hard drive to get back
into action.

On an older system, I had a hard drive that did not wake up well from
standby - usually got an error on resume and often had to restart to
recover. I was glad for those extra settings in Power Options and used them
to set this hard drive to "never" but could still let the monitors standby.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User