what is everyone's fav old pc game?

ironsung

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
hello all...

i was wondering what everyone's fav pc game was.... but with the following constraints:

must be:
- older game
- able to run on xp
- able to run on 800mhz and 190mb RAM
- fun

please state what genre it belongs to (rpg, first person shooter, action, puzzle, etc....) and the game title and perhaps a little description if you'd like...

i want to know what game to play since my garbage laptop is so slow.... and i want a game to hold me over until i build my desktop system this christmas....

so far i have deus ex and counterstrike

IM BORED... HELP ME!

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
With a computer like that I'd probably settle for Baldur's Gate, Mech Commander 1, Magic the Gathering for single player and maybe Neverwinter Nights 1 and Navy Field for multiplayer. 190mb RAM might not be enough for NWN 1, though.

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Morton and Dagger's suggestions, plus X-Wing Versus TIE Fighter, Diablo 2, Half-Life, System Shock 1 & 2, Freespace 2, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, Homeworld, Dungeon Keeper 2, Ground Control, Ultima 7/Forge of Virtue/Silver Seed, Deus Ex, wow..., just realized how much of my youth was spent in front of a 15" CRT. I think most of those will run with your specs.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Fallout 1 and 2, maybe Arcanum. Freelancer. Baldur's Gate 2. Also most of the other suggestions here are definitely good ones.

There are tons of great games from that era.

gelde3001

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Ive just replayed CHASER through - massive FPS game, very good....anyone said about the original quakes 1/2 and possibly the original Unreal....

Also RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 !........

BUT DEFINITLY Magic Carpets - 1, 2 and the plus pack is freely available as its now abandonware - Try HOTU - Home Of The Underdogs for older games - excellent site.......

That reminds me of populous - then Mega-lo-Mania !.....

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007

Couldn't agree more, that game is probably my favorite game of all time.

Other FPS games that would be good are Half-Life and Quake 2, which you can still find people playing online.

I think Civilization II was pretty good as well.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Heya,

Diablo II, Lord of Destruction. (Free online play, RPG/Hack&Slash)
Fallout 1 & 2. (Post apocalyptic RPG series and not for kiddies)
Baldur's Gate II. (Amazingly long and immersive RPG that probably is second to none to date)
Raiden II. (Fun arcade style space shooting game, non stop action, simple and challenging)
Quake II CTF (Free online capture the flag the way Quake II defined every variant to date, so fun still)

Cheers, :)

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Hardwar - sandbox flight / space trading sim
The Settlers - didnt see it mentioned, civ building, strategy, wars
+1 for X-Wing Vs T.I.E. Fighter
Unreal - classic oldschool shooter still very much worth a playthrough. Avoid the sequel though >.<

You wont get a good Deus Ex on that system, its graphical requirements were way ahead of its time. It may be "playable" though.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Deus Ex's system requirements are as follows
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM PC REQUIREMENTS
Pentium II
300MHz
64MB RAM
DirectX 7.0a compliant 3D accelerated video card
DirectX 7.0a compliant sound card
DirectX 7.0a or higher (included)
4X CD-ROM drive
150MB hard drive space
Keyboard, Mouse
RECOMMENDED
AMD Athlon or Pentium III
128MB RAM
3D accelerator with 16MB VRAM
8X CD-ROM drive
750MB hard drive space
EAX or A3D compliant audio card

His system should be able to handle that easily.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Go run Crysis on the recommended specs (another game graphically ahead of its time).

Yes he can run it, but it will not be anywhere near as smooth as the other games listed which is the point i wanted to make.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I played Deus Ex originally with these specs:

Celeron 466
Voodoo 3 3000 (16MB of RAM I believe)
either 64 or 128 MB of RAM (I can't remember)
Creative Soundblaster Live!

I played at 1024x768 and the game ran smooth as silk.

sithkiller

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
X-Com ! Turn based. Though it's old enough I have no idea if it runs on XP.

There's a lot of great games already named in this thread, but X-Com is one of my old time favorites.

ironsung

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
wow so many replies! thank you all for your suggestions... special thanks for those who listed the genre's too..... as that will reduce my researching time in half! hahaaha...

i have deus ex and it runs pretty choppy... although it does work...

i have only so much of disk space... thats why im being so picky... thanks a lot guys for all your responses...

anymore suggestions are welcome!