Re-Install XP-Home

I have been running XP-H for about 1 year. I believe that XP is better than
prior versions at keeping itself clean but I also believe that a complete
re-install will clean up a bunch of small items.

Can I just do a re-install Win-XP from the CD or do I need to wipe the HD
and re-install XP then all my other programs?

see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year
"I'm_A_Victim" <rwmarbleAT@yahooDOT.com> wrote in message
|I have been running XP-H for about 1 year. I believe that
XP is better than
| prior versions at keeping itself clean but I also believe
that a complete
| re-install will clean up a bunch of small items.
|
| Can I just do a re-install Win-XP from the CD or do I need
to wipe the HD
| and re-install XP then all my other programs?

Wouldn't it be so much easier to address your "small items"? What are they?

Ted Zieglar

I'm_A_Victim wrote:
> I have been running XP-H for about 1 year. I believe that XP is
> better than prior versions at keeping itself clean but I also believe
> that a complete re-install will clean up a bunch of small items.
> Can I just do a re-install Win-XP from the CD or do I need to wipe
> the HD and re-install XP then all my other programs?

XP doesn't need to be peoridically reinstalled. What problems are you
having?
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

Jim, Ted & Michael,

No real problems but I use my PC to download numerous drivers & programs
that I use when rebuilding other computers. I was figuring that the registry
was becoming loaded. Also there are many files 35+ such as
$NtServicePackUninstall$ and I thought that a fresh install then SP2 would
make a cleaner system.
I checked Jim's link to a KB file and am reading it.
I take it you are suggesting I don't need and won't gain anything ( like I
did with Win9x & ME).

"Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
> I'm_A_Victim wrote:
>> I have been running XP-H for about 1 year. I believe that XP is
>> better than prior versions at keeping itself clean but I also believe
>> that a complete re-install will clean up a bunch of small items.
>> Can I just do a re-install Win-XP from the CD or do I need to wipe
>> the HD and re-install XP then all my other programs?
>
> XP doesn't need to be peoridically reinstalled. What problems are you
> having?
> --
> Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
> xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
> http://michaelstevenstech.com
> For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

"I take it you are suggesting I don't need and won't gain anything ( like I
did with Win9x & ME)."

Correct. The only people who need to wipe everything out and start from
scratch are those who have been unable to keep viruses and spyware from
infecting their computers. Furthermore, with today's disk imaging software,
it's easy to restore your computer to a known good state in literally
minutes.

Download as many drivers and programs as you like. This has no affect at all
on your computer, besides occupying disk space, and your registry certainly
doesn't get "loaded". The $NtServicePackUninstall$ files are the
uninstallers for the updates you installed from Windows Update. And you
rebuild computers?

Ted Zieglar

> Jim, Ted & Michael,
>
> No real problems but I use my PC to download numerous drivers & programs
> that I use when rebuilding other computers. I was figuring that the
> registry was becoming loaded. Also there are many files 35+ such as
> $NtServicePackUninstall$ and I thought that a fresh install then SP2 would
> make a cleaner system.
> I checked Jim's link to a KB file and am reading it.
> I take it you are suggesting I don't need and won't gain anything ( like I
> did with Win9x & ME).
>
> "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
>> I'm_A_Victim wrote:
>>> I have been running XP-H for about 1 year. I believe that XP is
>>> better than prior versions at keeping itself clean but I also believe
>>> that a complete re-install will clean up a bunch of small items.
>>> Can I just do a re-install Win-XP from the CD or do I need to wipe
>>> the HD and re-install XP then all my other programs?
>>
>> XP doesn't need to be peoridically reinstalled. What problems are you
>> having?
>> --
>> Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
>> xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com
>> For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

Yes Ted I re-build computers. Self taught and I understood that that file
was associated with uninstalling a service pack. The only way to learn is to
ask questions.

Most of the stuff I rebuild is Pen II 266 and down w/ lots of Pen I 166.
Lots of orphan equipment and cards so I spend a lot of time searching for
and testing drivers etc.

A lot of the stuff I do is for those on fixed income or for donation as
working systems for those with no PC.

My personal is AMD 3200+ etc and I like to keep it clean and up to date.

Thanks for the info and lesson.