index.dat - can it be cleared?

Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.

You may find third party applications that clear index.dat (or claim to).
But the truth is: There is no need to clear the indexes. This is one of the
most enduring myths on the Internet.

Ted Zieglar

"Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
> Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
> --
> Remove the "Delany" to reply.

But what if I want to remove information about how I used a computer
from a machine that others may have access to?

--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.

Others users can't see your indexes.

> But what if I want to remove information about how I used a computer from
> a machine that others may have access to?
>
> Ted Zieglar wrote:
>> You may find third party applications that clear index.dat (or claim to).
>> But the truth is: There is no need to clear the indexes. This is one of
>> the most enduring myths on the Internet.
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>
>> "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
>>> Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
>>> --
>>> Remove the "Delany" to reply.
>>

> --
> Remove the "Delany" to reply.

Yes use Cleancache from www.buttuglysoftware.com (it is free) You can see my
review of the product either by clicking on the review link on the buttugly
software website or visiting my web site at:

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm

click on the Review button on my web site and then click the CleanCache
option.

I use this application every day and find it very useful.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm

"Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
> Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
> --
> Remove the "Delany" to reply.

Thank you very much for your reply.

If you don't mind, might I ask two more related questions:

1. This may sound silly, but is the program truly SAFE to use with XP?
I ask this because I once used with XP two cleaning programs that I used
without difficulty in Windows 98. I ended up with a system crash ("NTLDR
Is Missing" ) that was very difficult to recover from (and required much
phone time with manufacturer's technical support). Is this program truly
made for XP?

2. I'm not sure I understand the need for ".NET Framework". If I
remember correctly, ".Net" is a Microsoft program that has something to
do with "Passport" and is used to enter passwords and such. Please
correct me if I am wrong about this. If this is what ".Net" refers to,
I elected to not install it. Why is ".Net" required for CleanCache to
work? Is ".Net" a safe program to install?

Thank you very much for your time and expertise.

> 2. I'm not sure I understand the need for ".NET Framework". If I
> remember correctly, ".Net" is a Microsoft program that has something
> to do with "Passport" and is used to enter passwords and such. Please
> correct me if I am wrong about this. If this is what ".Net" refers
> to, I elected to not install it. Why is ".Net" required for
> CleanCache to work? Is ".Net" a safe program to install?
>
> Thank you very much for your time and expertise.

..NET Framework is needed to run programs written with the .NET tools like
DBXpress (www.oehelp.com).

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

..Net sounds harmless enough. I may have mistaken is for something else,
like "Passport".

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
> "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
>

>> 2. I'm not sure I understand the need for ".NET Framework". If I
>> remember correctly, ".Net" is a Microsoft program that has something
>> to do with "Passport" and is used to enter passwords and such. Please
>> correct me if I am wrong about this. If this is what ".Net" refers
>> to, I elected to not install it. Why is ".Net" required for
>> CleanCache to work? Is ".Net" a safe program to install?
>>
>> Thank you very much for your time and expertise.
>

> .NET Framework is needed to run programs written with the .NET tools
> like DBXpress (www.oehelp.com).

--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.

I, too, am not keen on downloading software to do such things. When I do
this, I log on as Administrator and then delete the index.dat from the
relevant <username>. Ideally, I'd like to do this automatically (perhaps
via a script which runs at logon or shutdown) every 2 - 4 weeks. I've
searched for this (and seen postings on scripting NGs) but to no avail. I
think I'll have to continue doing it manually.

Were you aware that Windows XP clears the index when you remove Temporary
Internet Files?

Ted Zieglar

"Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
> I, too, am not keen on downloading software to do such things. When I do
> this, I log on as Administrator and then delete the index.dat from the
> relevant <username>. Ideally, I'd like to do this automatically (perhaps
> via a script which runs at logon or shutdown) every 2 - 4 weeks. I've
> searched for this (and seen postings on scripting NGs) but to no avail. I
> think I'll have to continue doing it manually.

Can I do any unintentional damage by simply deleting the entire
index.dat file? Can it even be done? I was under the impression that
since the file is always in use, it cannot be deleted.

Tosca wrote:
> I, too, am not keen on downloading software to do such things. When I do
> this, I log on as Administrator and then delete the index.dat from the
> relevant <username>. Ideally, I'd like to do this automatically (perhaps
> via a script which runs at logon or shutdown) every 2 - 4 weeks. I've
> searched for this (and seen postings on scripting NGs) but to no avail. I
> think I'll have to continue doing it manually.

--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.

I was not aware of this. Does this mean that when I clear usage tracks
with Spybot or with AdAware, the Index.dat is removed also?

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> Were you aware that Windows XP clears the index when you remove
> Temporary Internet Files?
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
>
>> I, too, am not keen on downloading software to do such things. When I do
>> this, I log on as Administrator and then delete the index.dat from the
>> relevant <username>. Ideally, I'd like to do this automatically (perhaps
>> via a script which runs at logon or shutdown) every 2 - 4 weeks. I've
>> searched for this (and seen postings on scripting NGs) but to no
>> avail. I
>> think I'll have to continue doing it manually.

--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.

hi i too have some problems relating to this index.dat files. Even after
clearing the temp internet files, index.dat exists in some folders which cant
be deleted.
Any help is highly appreciated

"Babel17delany" wrote:

> Can I do any unintentional damage by simply deleting the entire
> index.dat file? Can it even be done? I was under the impression that
> since the file is always in use, it cannot be deleted.
>
> Tosca wrote:
> > I, too, am not keen on downloading software to do such things. When I do
> > this, I log on as Administrator and then delete the index.dat from the
> > relevant <username>. Ideally, I'd like to do this automatically (perhaps
> > via a script which runs at logon or shutdown) every 2 - 4 weeks. I've
> > searched for this (and seen postings on scripting NGs) but to no avail. I
> > think I'll have to continue doing it manually.
> >

> --
> Remove the "Delany" to reply.

No - I moved from 98SE recently and couldn't delete the index.dat easily in
98SE. I recall that I had to delete it by using some script in the
autoexec.bat file (I think that's how it was done!). I was under the
impression that it couldn't be deleted in XP Pro when logged in as the user
who's index.dat I was trying to delete. I've never tried it though, as I
assumed that XP wouldn't allow me to do that.

CleanCache is perfectly safe to use on XP I use it daily.
Your second question has been answered elsewhere. .NET framework is needed
because CleanCache is written using >NET framework.
As for index.dat files they hold all the information contained in temporary
internet files/history etc. Simply deleting the contents of the temporary
internet files etc does *not* delete the relevant index.dat. I suggest you
try it. On a newly installed copy of xp the index.dat files register 16k.
when empty. As they are utilised the space increases. you may find that
yours are 32 or 64k. On deleting the temporary internet files from your pc
the files does not go back to 16k and is therefore not cleansed. Index dat
files can be deleted using dos commands which is basically what cleancache
does. This is done as your pc restarts, by using cleancache regularly you
always start with a 'clean' index dat file.
As I stated in my earlier post cleancache is free so why bother with scripts
when this application will do 'exactly what it says on the tin'
As a journalist it takes a lot to impress me where software is concerned and
I certainly don't recommend software lightly. I have tried dozens of so
called 'cleaners' and each time I come back to cleancache.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
"Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Thank you very much for your reply.
>
> If you don't mind, might I ask two more related questions:
>
> 1. This may sound silly, but is the program truly SAFE to use with XP? I
> ask this because I once used with XP two cleaning programs that I used
> without difficulty in Windows 98. I ended up with a system crash ("NTLDR
> Is Missing" ) that was very difficult to recover from (and required much
> phone time with manufacturer's technical support). Is this program truly
> made for XP?
>
> 2. I'm not sure I understand the need for ".NET Framework". If I remember
> correctly, ".Net" is a Microsoft program that has something to do with
> "Passport" and is used to enter passwords and such. Please correct me if
> I am wrong about this. If this is what ".Net" refers to, I elected to not
> install it. Why is ".Net" required for CleanCache to work? Is ".Net" a
> safe program to install?
>
> Thank you very much for your time and expertise.
>
> John Barnett MVP wrote:
>> Yes use Cleancache from www.buttuglysoftware.com (it is free) You can see
>> my review of the product either by clicking on the review link on the
>> buttugly software website or visiting my web site at:
>>
>> http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
>>
>> click on the Review button on my web site and then click the CleanCache
>> option.
>>
>> I use this application every day and find it very useful.
>>

> --
> Remove the "Delany" to reply.

I don't know what "usage tracks" means, and I don't consider myself
qualified to answer questions about "Spybot" or Ad-Aware.

The indexes are cleared when your clear TIF either manually or automatically
with the close of each browser session. Both can be done through Internet
Explorer > Tools > Internet Options or Control Panel > Internet Options.

In the 9x versions of Windows, the indexes were not always completely
cleared when TIF was cleared, and so index.dat used to grow and grow,
sometimes to several MB in size. Thus, people used to include commands in
autoexec to delete index.dat during startup, before Windows loaded.

The index.dat problem has been fixed in Windows XP, but apparently old
habits die hard. Windows XP also incorporates NT-style user accounts. When
these are setup correctly, users cannot see each others documents, among
them the indexes.

>I was not aware of this. Does this mean that when I clear usage tracks
>with Spybot or with AdAware, the Index.dat is removed also?
>
> Ted Zieglar wrote:
>> Were you aware that Windows XP clears the index when you remove Temporary
>> Internet Files?
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>
>> "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I, too, am not keen on downloading software to do such things. When I
>>> do
>>> this, I log on as Administrator and then delete the index.dat from the
>>> relevant <username>. Ideally, I'd like to do this automatically
>>> (perhaps
>>> via a script which runs at logon or shutdown) every 2 - 4 weeks. I've
>>> searched for this (and seen postings on scripting NGs) but to no avail.
>>> think I'll have to continue doing it manually.
>>>

> --
> Remove the "Delany" to reply.

"On deleting the temporary internet files from your pc the files does not go
back to 16k and is therefore not cleansed."

As one who used to delete the indexes during my Windows 9x days, I was
interested to see if this was still needed in XP. After 2.5 years of using
XP, I have never noticed the indexes increasing in size beyond the default.

Ted Zieglar

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.nospam> wrote in message
> [...]
>> remember correctly, ".Net" is a Microsoft program that has something to
>> do with "Passport" and is used to enter passwords and such. Please
>> correct me if I am wrong about this. If this is what ".Net" refers to, I
>> elected to not install it. Why is ".Net" required for CleanCache to
>> work? Is ".Net" a safe program to install?
>>
>> Thank you very much for your time and expertise.
>>
>> John Barnett MVP wrote:
>>> Yes use Cleancache from www.buttuglysoftware.com (it is free) You can
>>> see my review of the product either by clicking on the review link on
>>> the buttugly software website or visiting my web site at:
>>>
>>> http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
>>>
>>> click on the Review button on my web site and then click the CleanCache
>>> option.
>>>
>>> I use this application every day and find it very useful.

Where do I download ".Net" from, which the CleanCache site says I need
to be able to operate their software?

John Barnett MVP wrote:
> Yes use Cleancache from www.buttuglysoftware.com (it is free) You can see my
> review of the product either by clicking on the review link on the buttugly
> software website or visiting my web site at:
>
> http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
>
> click on the Review button on my web site and then click the CleanCache
> option.
>
> I use this application every day and find it very useful.

--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.

I was able to delete index.dat from 98SE with a downloaded program - it
cost me about $20 and worked well. Unfortunately, I believe that when I
transferred the program to XP it may have been the cause of a major crash.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&DisplayLang=en

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Thank you very much for your reply. I will download ".Net" (from the
Microsoft site?) and then download CleanCache next weekend (weekends are
the only time I have to do much other than pick up e-mail on the computer).

John Barnett MVP wrote:
> CleanCache is perfectly safe to use on XP I use it daily.
> Your second question has been answered elsewhere. .NET framework is needed
> because CleanCache is written using >NET framework.
> As for index.dat files they hold all the information contained in temporary
> internet files/history etc. Simply deleting the contents of the temporary
> internet files etc does *not* delete the relevant index.dat. I suggest you
> try it. On a newly installed copy of xp the index.dat files register 16k.
> when empty. As they are utilised the space increases. you may find that
> yours are 32 or 64k. On deleting the temporary internet files from your pc
> the files does not go back to 16k and is therefore not cleansed. Index dat
> files can be deleted using dos commands which is basically what cleancache
> does. This is done as your pc restarts, by using cleancache regularly you
> always start with a 'clean' index dat file.
> As I stated in my earlier post cleancache is free so why bother with scripts
> when this application will do 'exactly what it says on the tin'
> As a journalist it takes a lot to impress me where software is concerned and
> I certainly don't recommend software lightly. I have tried dozens of so
> called 'cleaners' and each time I come back to cleancache.

--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.

"Usage Tracks" is how SpyBot refers collectively to Cache, History and
Temporary Internet Files.

Now what you have just explained is very different from what others have
said on this thread. Perhaps I should, next weekend, check the size of
index.dat before and after I close Internet Explorer.

--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.

"Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
> Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
> --
> Remove the "Delany" to reply.

You can delete it without using any software other than Windows. Log out of
you user profile and login as "Administrator" (or a different user account
with administrator rights). Then navigate through Windows Explorer to
something similar to: C:\Documents and Settings\{user profile name}\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 You can safely delete
*everything* in this directory which includes the index.dat file.

Hey Johnny u mentioned about da content.IE5 file. i get all da files listed
directly in da temp internet files folder. But i do try to remove index.dat
but in vain.yesterday i downloaded a software CCleaner & tried to erase da
index file. but it did not work. i hv index files in C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Cookies. pls help

"Johnny Lingo" wrote:

> "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
> > Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
> > --
> > Remove the "Delany" to reply.
>
> You can delete it without using any software other than Windows. Log out of
> you user profile and login as "Administrator" (or a different user account
> with administrator rights). Then navigate through Windows Explorer to
> something similar to: C:\Documents and Settings\{user profile name}\Local
> Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 You can safely delete
> *everything* in this directory which includes the index.dat file.

TRENDING THREADS