index.dat - can it be cleared?

Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.
37 answers Last reply

    You may find third party applications that clear index.dat (or claim to).
    But the truth is: There is no need to clear the indexes. This is one of the
    most enduring myths on the Internet.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
    > Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
    > --
    > Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    But what if I want to remove information about how I used a computer
    from a machine that others may have access to?

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    Others users can't see your indexes.

    > But what if I want to remove information about how I used a computer from
    > a machine that others may have access to?
    >
    > Ted Zieglar wrote:
    >> You may find third party applications that clear index.dat (or claim to).
    >> But the truth is: There is no need to clear the indexes. This is one of
    >> the most enduring myths on the Internet.
    >>
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >>
    >> "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
    >>> Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
    >>> --
    >>> Remove the "Delany" to reply.
    >>

    > --
    > Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    Yes use Cleancache from www.buttuglysoftware.com (it is free) You can see my
    review of the product either by clicking on the review link on the buttugly
    software website or visiting my web site at:

    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm

    click on the Review button on my web site and then click the CleanCache
    option.

    I use this application every day and find it very useful.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm

    "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
    > Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
    > --
    > Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    Thank you very much for your reply.

    If you don't mind, might I ask two more related questions:

    1. This may sound silly, but is the program truly SAFE to use with XP?
    I ask this because I once used with XP two cleaning programs that I used
    without difficulty in Windows 98. I ended up with a system crash ("NTLDR
    Is Missing" ) that was very difficult to recover from (and required much
    phone time with manufacturer's technical support). Is this program truly
    made for XP?

    2. I'm not sure I understand the need for ".NET Framework". If I
    remember correctly, ".Net" is a Microsoft program that has something to
    do with "Passport" and is used to enter passwords and such. Please
    correct me if I am wrong about this. If this is what ".Net" refers to,
    I elected to not install it. Why is ".Net" required for CleanCache to
    work? Is ".Net" a safe program to install?

    Thank you very much for your time and expertise.

    > 2. I'm not sure I understand the need for ".NET Framework". If I
    > remember correctly, ".Net" is a Microsoft program that has something
    > to do with "Passport" and is used to enter passwords and such. Please
    > correct me if I am wrong about this. If this is what ".Net" refers
    > to, I elected to not install it. Why is ".Net" required for
    > CleanCache to work? Is ".Net" a safe program to install?
    >
    > Thank you very much for your time and expertise.

    ..NET Framework is needed to run programs written with the .NET tools like
    DBXpress (www.oehelp.com).

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    ..Net sounds harmless enough. I may have mistaken is for something else,
    like "Passport".

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
    > "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >

    >> 2. I'm not sure I understand the need for ".NET Framework". If I
    >> remember correctly, ".Net" is a Microsoft program that has something
    >> to do with "Passport" and is used to enter passwords and such. Please
    >> correct me if I am wrong about this. If this is what ".Net" refers
    >> to, I elected to not install it. Why is ".Net" required for
    >> CleanCache to work? Is ".Net" a safe program to install?
    >>
    >> Thank you very much for your time and expertise.
    >

    > .NET Framework is needed to run programs written with the .NET tools
    > like DBXpress (www.oehelp.com).

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    I, too, am not keen on downloading software to do such things. When I do
    this, I log on as Administrator and then delete the index.dat from the
    relevant <username>. Ideally, I'd like to do this automatically (perhaps
    via a script which runs at logon or shutdown) every 2 - 4 weeks. I've
    searched for this (and seen postings on scripting NGs) but to no avail. I
    think I'll have to continue doing it manually.

    Were you aware that Windows XP clears the index when you remove Temporary
    Internet Files?

    Ted Zieglar

    "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    > I, too, am not keen on downloading software to do such things. When I do
    > this, I log on as Administrator and then delete the index.dat from the
    > relevant <username>. Ideally, I'd like to do this automatically (perhaps
    > via a script which runs at logon or shutdown) every 2 - 4 weeks. I've
    > searched for this (and seen postings on scripting NGs) but to no avail. I
    > think I'll have to continue doing it manually.

    Can I do any unintentional damage by simply deleting the entire
    index.dat file? Can it even be done? I was under the impression that
    since the file is always in use, it cannot be deleted.

    Tosca wrote:
    > I, too, am not keen on downloading software to do such things. When I do
    > this, I log on as Administrator and then delete the index.dat from the
    > relevant <username>. Ideally, I'd like to do this automatically (perhaps
    > via a script which runs at logon or shutdown) every 2 - 4 weeks. I've
    > searched for this (and seen postings on scripting NGs) but to no avail. I
    > think I'll have to continue doing it manually.

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    I was not aware of this. Does this mean that when I clear usage tracks
    with Spybot or with AdAware, the Index.dat is removed also?

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > Were you aware that Windows XP clears the index when you remove
    > Temporary Internet Files?
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> I, too, am not keen on downloading software to do such things. When I do
    >> this, I log on as Administrator and then delete the index.dat from the
    >> relevant <username>. Ideally, I'd like to do this automatically (perhaps
    >> via a script which runs at logon or shutdown) every 2 - 4 weeks. I've
    >> searched for this (and seen postings on scripting NGs) but to no
    >> avail. I
    >> think I'll have to continue doing it manually.

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    hi i too have some problems relating to this index.dat files. Even after
    clearing the temp internet files, index.dat exists in some folders which cant
    be deleted.
    Any help is highly appreciated

    "Babel17delany" wrote:

    > Can I do any unintentional damage by simply deleting the entire
    > index.dat file? Can it even be done? I was under the impression that
    > since the file is always in use, it cannot be deleted.
    >
    > Tosca wrote:
    > > I, too, am not keen on downloading software to do such things. When I do
    > > this, I log on as Administrator and then delete the index.dat from the
    > > relevant <username>. Ideally, I'd like to do this automatically (perhaps
    > > via a script which runs at logon or shutdown) every 2 - 4 weeks. I've
    > > searched for this (and seen postings on scripting NGs) but to no avail. I
    > > think I'll have to continue doing it manually.
    > >

    > --
    > Remove the "Delany" to reply.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    No - I moved from 98SE recently and couldn't delete the index.dat easily in
    98SE. I recall that I had to delete it by using some script in the
    autoexec.bat file (I think that's how it was done!). I was under the
    impression that it couldn't be deleted in XP Pro when logged in as the user
    who's index.dat I was trying to delete. I've never tried it though, as I
    assumed that XP wouldn't allow me to do that.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    CleanCache is perfectly safe to use on XP I use it daily.
    Your second question has been answered elsewhere. .NET framework is needed
    because CleanCache is written using >NET framework.
    As for index.dat files they hold all the information contained in temporary
    internet files/history etc. Simply deleting the contents of the temporary
    internet files etc does *not* delete the relevant index.dat. I suggest you
    try it. On a newly installed copy of xp the index.dat files register 16k.
    when empty. As they are utilised the space increases. you may find that
    yours are 32 or 64k. On deleting the temporary internet files from your pc
    the files does not go back to 16k and is therefore not cleansed. Index dat
    files can be deleted using dos commands which is basically what cleancache
    does. This is done as your pc restarts, by using cleancache regularly you
    always start with a 'clean' index dat file.
    As I stated in my earlier post cleancache is free so why bother with scripts
    when this application will do 'exactly what it says on the tin'
    As a journalist it takes a lot to impress me where software is concerned and
    I certainly don't recommend software lightly. I have tried dozens of so
    called 'cleaners' and each time I come back to cleancache.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
    "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Thank you very much for your reply.
    >
    > If you don't mind, might I ask two more related questions:
    >
    > 1. This may sound silly, but is the program truly SAFE to use with XP? I
    > ask this because I once used with XP two cleaning programs that I used
    > without difficulty in Windows 98. I ended up with a system crash ("NTLDR
    > Is Missing" ) that was very difficult to recover from (and required much
    > phone time with manufacturer's technical support). Is this program truly
    > made for XP?
    >
    > 2. I'm not sure I understand the need for ".NET Framework". If I remember
    > correctly, ".Net" is a Microsoft program that has something to do with
    > "Passport" and is used to enter passwords and such. Please correct me if
    > I am wrong about this. If this is what ".Net" refers to, I elected to not
    > install it. Why is ".Net" required for CleanCache to work? Is ".Net" a
    > safe program to install?
    >
    > Thank you very much for your time and expertise.
    >
    > John Barnett MVP wrote:
    >> Yes use Cleancache from www.buttuglysoftware.com (it is free) You can see
    >> my review of the product either by clicking on the review link on the
    >> buttugly software website or visiting my web site at:
    >>
    >> http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
    >>
    >> click on the Review button on my web site and then click the CleanCache
    >> option.
    >>
    >> I use this application every day and find it very useful.
    >>

    > --
    > Remove the "Delany" to reply.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I don't know what "usage tracks" means, and I don't consider myself
    qualified to answer questions about "Spybot" or Ad-Aware.

    The indexes are cleared when your clear TIF either manually or automatically
    with the close of each browser session. Both can be done through Internet
    Explorer > Tools > Internet Options or Control Panel > Internet Options.

    In the 9x versions of Windows, the indexes were not always completely
    cleared when TIF was cleared, and so index.dat used to grow and grow,
    sometimes to several MB in size. Thus, people used to include commands in
    autoexec to delete index.dat during startup, before Windows loaded.

    The index.dat problem has been fixed in Windows XP, but apparently old
    habits die hard. Windows XP also incorporates NT-style user accounts. When
    these are setup correctly, users cannot see each others documents, among
    them the indexes.

    >I was not aware of this. Does this mean that when I clear usage tracks
    >with Spybot or with AdAware, the Index.dat is removed also?
    >
    > Ted Zieglar wrote:
    >> Were you aware that Windows XP clears the index when you remove Temporary
    >> Internet Files?
    >>
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >>
    >> "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I, too, am not keen on downloading software to do such things. When I
    >>> do
    >>> this, I log on as Administrator and then delete the index.dat from the
    >>> relevant <username>. Ideally, I'd like to do this automatically
    >>> (perhaps
    >>> via a script which runs at logon or shutdown) every 2 - 4 weeks. I've
    >>> searched for this (and seen postings on scripting NGs) but to no avail.
    >>> think I'll have to continue doing it manually.
    >>>

    > --
    > Remove the "Delany" to reply.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "On deleting the temporary internet files from your pc the files does not go
    back to 16k and is therefore not cleansed."

    As one who used to delete the indexes during my Windows 9x days, I was
    interested to see if this was still needed in XP. After 2.5 years of using
    XP, I have never noticed the indexes increasing in size beyond the default.

    Ted Zieglar

    "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.nospam> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> remember correctly, ".Net" is a Microsoft program that has something to
    >> do with "Passport" and is used to enter passwords and such. Please
    >> correct me if I am wrong about this. If this is what ".Net" refers to, I
    >> elected to not install it. Why is ".Net" required for CleanCache to
    >> work? Is ".Net" a safe program to install?
    >>
    >> Thank you very much for your time and expertise.
    >>
    >> John Barnett MVP wrote:
    >>> Yes use Cleancache from www.buttuglysoftware.com (it is free) You can
    >>> see my review of the product either by clicking on the review link on
    >>> the buttugly software website or visiting my web site at:
    >>>
    >>> http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
    >>>
    >>> click on the Review button on my web site and then click the CleanCache
    >>> option.
    >>>
    >>> I use this application every day and find it very useful.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Where do I download ".Net" from, which the CleanCache site says I need
    to be able to operate their software?

    John Barnett MVP wrote:
    > Yes use Cleancache from www.buttuglysoftware.com (it is free) You can see my
    > review of the product either by clicking on the review link on the buttugly
    > software website or visiting my web site at:
    >
    > http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
    >
    > click on the Review button on my web site and then click the CleanCache
    > option.
    >
    > I use this application every day and find it very useful.

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I was able to delete index.dat from 98SE with a downloaded program - it
    cost me about $20 and worked well. Unfortunately, I believe that when I
    transferred the program to XP it may have been the cause of a major crash.

    Tosca wrote:
    > No - I moved from 98SE recently and couldn't delete the index.dat easily in
    > 98SE. I recall that I had to delete it by using some script in the
    > autoexec.bat file (I think that's how it was done!). I was under the
    > impression that it couldn't be deleted in XP Pro when logged in as the user
    > who's index.dat I was trying to delete. I've never tried it though, as I
    > assumed that XP wouldn't allow me to do that.

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&DisplayLang=en

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Thank you very much for your reply. I will download ".Net" (from the
    Microsoft site?) and then download CleanCache next weekend (weekends are
    the only time I have to do much other than pick up e-mail on the computer).

    John Barnett MVP wrote:
    > CleanCache is perfectly safe to use on XP I use it daily.
    > Your second question has been answered elsewhere. .NET framework is needed
    > because CleanCache is written using >NET framework.
    > As for index.dat files they hold all the information contained in temporary
    > internet files/history etc. Simply deleting the contents of the temporary
    > internet files etc does *not* delete the relevant index.dat. I suggest you
    > try it. On a newly installed copy of xp the index.dat files register 16k.
    > when empty. As they are utilised the space increases. you may find that
    > yours are 32 or 64k. On deleting the temporary internet files from your pc
    > the files does not go back to 16k and is therefore not cleansed. Index dat
    > files can be deleted using dos commands which is basically what cleancache
    > does. This is done as your pc restarts, by using cleancache regularly you
    > always start with a 'clean' index dat file.
    > As I stated in my earlier post cleancache is free so why bother with scripts
    > when this application will do 'exactly what it says on the tin'
    > As a journalist it takes a lot to impress me where software is concerned and
    > I certainly don't recommend software lightly. I have tried dozens of so
    > called 'cleaners' and each time I come back to cleancache.

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Usage Tracks" is how SpyBot refers collectively to Cache, History and
    Temporary Internet Files.

    Now what you have just explained is very different from what others have
    said on this thread. Perhaps I should, next weekend, check the size of
    index.dat before and after I close Internet Explorer.

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
    > Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
    > --
    > Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    You can delete it without using any software other than Windows. Log out of
    you user profile and login as "Administrator" (or a different user account
    with administrator rights). Then navigate through Windows Explorer to
    something similar to: C:\Documents and Settings\{user profile name}\Local
    Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 You can safely delete
    *everything* in this directory which includes the index.dat file.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hey Johnny u mentioned about da content.IE5 file. i get all da files listed
    directly in da temp internet files folder. But i do try to remove index.dat
    but in vain.yesterday i downloaded a software CCleaner & tried to erase da
    index file. but it did not work. i hv index files in C:\Documents and
    Settings\Administrator\Cookies. pls help

    "Johnny Lingo" wrote:

    > "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > > Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
    > > Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
    > > --
    > > Remove the "Delany" to reply.
    >
    > You can delete it without using any software other than Windows. Log out of
    > you user profile and login as "Administrator" (or a different user account
    > with administrator rights). Then navigate through Windows Explorer to
    > something similar to: C:\Documents and Settings\{user profile name}\Local
    > Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 You can safely delete
    > *everything* in this directory which includes the index.dat file.

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Ted my cookies index.dat file stands at 32kb as we speak. So does my temp
    internet file and history. As soon as I use cleancache they will be deleted
    and returned to 16kb. If I've left them long enough they have gone even
    higher than 32kb.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
> [...]
    >>>
    >>> 1. This may sound silly, but is the program truly SAFE to use with XP? I
    >>> ask this because I once used with XP two cleaning programs that I used
    >>> without difficulty in Windows 98. I ended up with a system crash ("NTLDR
    >>> Is Missing" ) that was very difficult to recover from (and required much
    >>> phone time with manufacturer's technical support). Is this program truly
    >>> made for XP?
    >>>
    >>> 2. I'm not sure I understand the need for ".NET Framework". If I
    >>> remember correctly, ".Net" is a Microsoft program that has something to
    >>> do with "Passport" and is used to enter passwords and such. Please
    >>> correct me if I am wrong about this. If this is what ".Net" refers to,
    >>> I elected to not install it. Why is ".Net" required for CleanCache to
    >>> work? Is ".Net" a safe program to install?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you very much for your time and expertise.

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I'm not sure where you're going with that point. My index.dat has never gone
    above 32kb, and that size is the inevitable result of storing cookies. I
    suppose I could refuse all cookies, but that's not an option for me.

    As I recall from my 9x days, deleting the indicies broke the link to cookies
    and internet history. Users who deleted the indicies were advised to clear
    their cookies and history since, without an index, they were pretty much
    useless. The few cookies I keep are really handy to have around.

    In any case, the limited users on my computer can't even get to my
    index.dat.

    Index.dat bloat was a frequently observed problem in the 9x versions of
    Windows. I have personally not read of index.dat bloat being an issue with
    XP. Of course I would be interested in reading otherwise.

    Where a user has two or more admin accounts on the same computer, or where
    all users share the same account, there are larger privacy issues. And if a
    user is so concerned that other users on the computer will want to spy on
    them, there are problems substantially more serious than index.dat!

    I am personally not aware of any exploit where the intruder's goal was to
    glean information from the user's indicies, but like I say, I would be
    interested to learn otherwise.
    --

    > Ted my cookies index.dat file stands at 32kb as we speak. So does my temp
    > internet file and history. As soon as I use cleancache they will be
    deleted
    > and returned to 16kb. If I've left them long enough they have gone even
    > higher than 32kb.
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
    > > "On deleting the temporary internet files from your pc the files does
    not

    > > As one who used to delete the indexes during my Windows 9x days, I was
    > > interested to see if this was still needed in XP. After 2.5 years of
    using
    > > XP, I have never noticed the indexes increasing in size beyond the
    > > default.
    > >
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > >
    > > "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.nospam> wrote in message
    > >> CleanCache is perfectly safe to use on XP I use it daily.
    > >> Your second question has been answered elsewhere. .NET framework is
    > >> needed because CleanCache is written using >NET framework.
    > >> As for index.dat files they hold all the information contained in
    > >> temporary internet files/history etc. Simply deleting the contents of
    the
    > >> temporary internet files etc does *not* delete the relevant index.dat.
    > >> suggest you try it. On a newly installed copy of xp the index.dat files
    > >> register 16k. when empty. As they are utilised the space increases. you
    > >> may find that yours are 32 or 64k. On deleting the temporary internet
    > >> files from your pc the files does not go back to 16k and is therefore
    not
    > >> cleansed. Index dat files can be deleted using dos commands which is
    > >> basically what cleancache does. This is done as your pc restarts, by
    > >> using cleancache regularly you always start with a 'clean' index dat
    > >> file.
    > >> As I stated in my earlier post cleancache is free so why bother with
    > >> scripts when this application will do 'exactly what it says on the tin'
    > >> As a journalist it takes a lot to impress me where software is
    concerned
    > >> and I certainly don't recommend software lightly. I have tried dozens
    of
    > >> so called 'cleaners' and each time I come back to cleancache.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> John Barnett MVP
    > >> Associate Expert
    > >> http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
    > >> "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message

    CleanCache

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

> [...]
    >>>
    >>> 1. This may sound silly, but is the program truly SAFE to use with XP? I
    >>> ask this because I once used with XP two cleaning programs that I used
    >>> without difficulty in Windows 98. I ended up with a system crash ("NTLDR
    >>> Is Missing" ) that was very difficult to recover from (and required much
    >>> phone time with manufacturer's technical support). Is this program truly
    >>> made for XP?
    >>>
    >>> 2. I'm not sure I understand the need for ".NET Framework". If I
    >>> remember correctly, ".Net" is a Microsoft program that has something to
    >>> do with "Passport" and is used to enter passwords and such. Please
    >>> correct me if I am wrong about this. If this is what ".Net" refers to,
    >>> I elected to not install it. Why is ".Net" required for CleanCache to
    >>> work? Is ".Net" a safe program to install?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you very much for your time and expertise.

    My index.dat (Windows XP Pro) constantly grows in size. It is currently at
    over 600k even after purging all temp internet files and cookies!
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Johnny Lingo" <johnnylingo@spammenot.com> wrote in message

    > My index.dat (Windows XP Pro) constantly grows in size. It is
    > currently at over 600k even after purging all temp internet files and
    > cookies!

    See
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "Johnny Lingo" <johnnylingo@spammenot.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> My index.dat (Windows XP Pro) constantly grows in size. It is
    >> currently at over 600k even after purging all temp internet files and
    >> cookies!
    >
    > See
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    Thanks, but I already know how to delete it. I was just commenting to a
    poster that stated that the index.dat resizes after deleting Temp Internet
    files and cookies. Mine and all of those that I have worked on has an
    index.dat file that continually grows in size until it is deleted and
    automatically replaced by a new default one.
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Babel17delany Wrote:
    > Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
    > Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
    > --
    > Remove the "Delany" to reply.
    THIS REMOVES INDEX.DAT FOR EVERY USER ON AN XP SYSTEM:

    1. Create text file C:\WINDOWS\WINSTOP.CMD which contains the
    following:
    :begin
    if .%1==. goto loop
    goto path

    :loop
    cd /d %AllUsersProfile%\..
    for /d %%f in (*.*) do call %SystemRoot%\winstop.cmd %%f
    exit

    :path
    cd %1
    del Cookies\index.dat
    del "Local Settings\History\index.dat"
    del "Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat"
    del "Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat"

    :end
    cd ..
    2. Open your Scheduled Tasks control panel & add the new task to run
    C:\WINDOWS\WINSTOP.CMD scheduled at logon.

    3. Logoff & then logon again to activate the schedule. *
    This will erase INDEX.DAT for all users each time you log on, or you
    can disable the schedule & use it only as needed. Technically you are
    logged on when this happens, although the folks at SpyBot maintain
    these need a reboot to safely remove. (For some reason the Scheduled
    Task works better than using logon/logoff scripts in Group Policy.)*

    --
    alan.1
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi Alan.1,
    I dont have the OP's text to respond to, and beg your pardon to linking to
    your reply.
    I use a good free program called "ID Suite", and can be downloaded from
    www.it-mate.co.uk
    Rob.
    "alan.1" <alan.1.1j1hpo@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    | Babel17delany Wrote:
    | > Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows XP?
    | > Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
    | > --
    | > Remove the "Delany" to reply.
    | THIS REMOVES INDEX.DAT FOR EVERY USER ON AN XP SYSTEM:
    |
    | 1. Create text file C:\WINDOWS\WINSTOP.CMD which contains the
    | following:
    | :begin
    | if .%1==. goto loop
    | goto path
    |
    | :loop
    | cd /d %AllUsersProfile%\..
    | for /d %%f in (*.*) do call %SystemRoot%\winstop.cmd %%f
    | exit
    |
    | :path
    | cd %1
    | del Cookies\index.dat
    | del "Local Settings\History\index.dat"
    | del "Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat"
    | del "Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat"
    |
    | :end
    | cd ..
    | 2. Open your Scheduled Tasks control panel & add the new task to run
    | C:\WINDOWS\WINSTOP.CMD scheduled at logon.
    |
    | 3. Logoff & then logon again to activate the schedule. *
    | This will erase INDEX.DAT for all users each time you log on, or you
    | can disable the schedule & use it only as needed. Technically you are
    | logged on when this happens, although the folks at SpyBot maintain
    | these need a reboot to safely remove. (For some reason the Scheduled
    | Task works better than using logon/logoff scripts in Group Policy.)*
    |

    | --
    | alan.1
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I use that program also. :-)

    But, be cautious about deleting >>>

    \WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\index.dat.

    This index.dat does not get recreated. The loss of this particlar file will
    cripple System Information (msinfo32.exe). This index.dat actually does
    something besides growing to a huge size.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eyo25OV$EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Rob <xxxx@beer.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Alan.1,
    > I dont have the OP's text to respond to, and beg your pardon to
    > linking to your reply.
    > I use a good free program called "ID Suite", and can be downloaded
    > from www.it-mate.co.uk
    > Rob.
    > "alan.1" <alan.1.1j1hpo@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Babel17delany Wrote:
    >>> Is there an easy way to clear the content of Index.dat in Windows
    >>> XP? Are there downloadable programs to do this for XP?
    >>> --
    >>> Remove the "Delany" to reply.
    >> THIS REMOVES INDEX.DAT FOR EVERY USER ON AN XP SYSTEM:
    >>
    >> 1. Create text file C:\WINDOWS\WINSTOP.CMD which contains the
    >> following:
    >>> begin
    >> if .%1==. goto loop
    >> goto path
    >>
    >>> loop
    >> cd /d %AllUsersProfile%\..
    >> for /d %%f in (*.*) do call %SystemRoot%\winstop.cmd %%f
    >> exit
    >>
    >>> path
    >> cd %1
    >> del Cookies\index.dat
    >> del "Local Settings\History\index.dat"
    >> del "Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat"
    >> del "Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat"
    >>
    >>> end
    >> cd ..
    >> 2. Open your Scheduled Tasks control panel & add the new task to run
    >> C:\WINDOWS\WINSTOP.CMD scheduled at logon.
    >>
    >> 3. Logoff & then logon again to activate the schedule. *
    >> This will erase INDEX.DAT for all users each time you log on, or you
    >> can disable the schedule & use it only as needed. Technically you
    >> are logged on when this happens, although the folks at SpyBot
    >> maintain these need a reboot to safely remove. (For some reason the
    >> Scheduled Task works better than using logon/logoff scripts in Group
    >> Policy.)*
    >>

    >> --
    >> alan.1
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Sorry for jumping in but are you saying that this particular index.dat
    shouldn't be deleted via the software mentioned? I'm not an expert when it
    comes to batch files or VBS but I don't think that this will be deleted at
    startup if the winstop.cmd is created as suggested. I had thought about
    using this but modifying it so it only ran once a week to clear the
    index.dat files. If it does delete files other than those which can be
    deleted safely, I'll give it a miss!!!
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    \WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\index.dat Should not be deleted in
    any way.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23UxaAch$EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Tosca <no-spam@thank-you.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Sorry for jumping in but are you saying that this particular index.dat
    > shouldn't be deleted via the software mentioned? I'm not an expert
    > when it comes to batch files or VBS but I don't think that this will
    > be deleted at startup if the winstop.cmd is created as suggested. I
    > had thought about using this but modifying it so it only ran once a
    > week to clear the index.dat files. If it does delete files other
    > than those which can be deleted safely, I'll give it a miss!!!
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thank you. I'll look further into using the procedure that was posted then.
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I just ran Index.dat Suite. I saved the results of Find. Index.dat Suite
    saves these results in a file called results.ini located in C:\Program
    Files\Index.dat Suite.

    Index.dat Suite combined with me blindly using it was the culprit, in my
    case, for deleting the wrong index.dat file. I have nothing against
    Index.dat Suite, it was only recently discovered and posted that the the
    deletion of this index.dat file was the cause of the msinfo32 opening in
    Help and support. There are other work arounds, but replacing the missing
    file is the best bet.

    Note that C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OFFLIN~1\index.dat
    is the Short File Name (8.3 Name format) version of
    C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\index.dat

    Here are those results...

    C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\History\History.IE5\MSHIST~1\index.dat -
    32.00KB
    C:\DOCUME~1\WESLEY~1.VOG\Cookies\index.dat - 16.00 KB
    C:\DOCUME~1\WESLEY~1.VOG\LOCALS~1\History\History.IE5\index.dat - 16.00 KB
    C:\DOCUME~1\WESLEY~1.VOG\LOCALS~1\History\History.IE5\MSHIST~1\index.dat -16
    ..00 KB
    C:\DOCUME~1\WESLEY~1.VOG\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\index.dat - 32.00 KB
    C:\DOCUME~1\WESLEY~1.VOG\MYDOCU~1\COMPUT~1\MSINFO\WINDOW~1.DAT\index.dat -84
    ..76 KB
    C:\DOCUME~1\WESLEY~1.VOG\UserData\index.dat - 16.00 KB
    C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OFFLIN~1\index.dat - 84.76 KB
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM~1\Cookies\index.dat - 16.00 KB
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM~1\LOCALS~1\History\History.IE5\index.dat -
    32.00 KB
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM~1\LOCALS~1\History\History.IE5\MSHIST~1\in
    dex.dat - 32.00 KB
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM~1\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\index.dat
    - 32.00 KB

    Index.dat Suite has an option to not select any index.dat files. Do not
    select >>
    C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OFFLIN~1\index.dat

    Also has an option to automatically generate the batch file. You should not
    use that option.

    You can also edit the batch file to exclude

    In news:e%2309I6u$EHA.1908@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Tosca <no-spam@thank-you.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thank you. I'll look further into using the procedure that was
    > posted then.
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I just downloaded, installed and ran the latest version of Index.dat Suite,
    ver 2.7.0.5.

    \WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache is in RED text and UNChecked by
    default.

    Steven was way ahead of us. ;-)

    From Index.dat Suite Frequently Asked Questions

    Q. What are the checkboxes for on the main IDFinder window?

    A. The checkboxes allow you to exclude items from the generated .bat file.
    All items CHECKED will be included, UNCHECKED items will be excluded.

    Note: If you have enabled the option labelled "Use default file generation
    routine to remove all index.dat files", this setting will be ignored, and
    all items included, regardless of whether they are checked or unchecked.
    ----

    Index.dat Suite
    Settings and Options - General

    The following settings are available on the General tab.

    General
    Mark items in red that may not be safe to delete

    By default this setting is enabled, and allows Index.dat Suite to
    automatically mark and exclude items that have been detected but are known
    to cause problems when deleted.

    Items with the following in their paths, are automatically marked during the
    scan;

    PPSRIN~1 (PPSRIndex.dat - Pest Patrol data file)
    HELPCTR (index.dat -Microsoft Windows Help Center)

    At present, we are unsure as to why deleting the HELPCTR index.dat file
    would cause problems. However, we have checked it's contents, and confirmed,
    it is not the same kind of index.dat file as those used by Internet Explorer
    or Windows.

    Reccomendation: Leave checked
    ---

    Always verify batch file contents after file generation

    When enabled, Index.dat Suite will perform a scan on the generated batch
    file, to check for invalid or potentially dangerous commands (e.g. deltree
    /y *.*)

    Reccomendation: Should only be disabled if user is experiencing persistent
    IDSE0500 errors
    ----

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:e%2309I6u$EHA.1908@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Tosca <no-spam@thank-you.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thank you. I'll look further into using the procedure that was
    > posted then.

Microsoft Windows XP