need 802.11 on laptop for internet

I am really new to wireless. I have a laptop and a wifi card. The wifi card
is setup and operational in the laptop although I don't have a signal to
check it with. Can somebody point me to somewhere I can learn how to set up
an internet connection with IE/Outlook express, so when I go on the road I
can use the laptop/ wifi to check my email.

thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about need laptop internet

    sorry I forgot, I'm running XP pro.

    "yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
    > I am really new to wireless. I have a laptop and a wifi card. The wifi
    card
    > is setup and operational in the laptop although I don't have a signal to
    > check it with. Can somebody point me to somewhere I can learn how to set
    up
    > an internet connection with IE/Outlook express, so when I go on the road I
    > can use the laptop/ wifi to check my email.
    >
    > thanks

    I'm a little confused on what you are asking. Do you expect to stop at
    Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve your email, or do you expect
    it to work wherever you are? If the former, then if your wifi card is
    integral to the laptop, it should recognize the signal and if passwords or
    configuration is needed, you'll get that info at the hotspot. It won't work
    wherever you are at.

    "yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
    > I am really new to wireless. I have a laptop and a wifi card. The wifi
    card
    > is setup and operational in the laptop although I don't have a signal to
    > check it with. Can somebody point me to somewhere I can learn how to set
    up
    > an internet connection with IE/Outlook express, so when I go on the road I
    > can use the laptop/ wifi to check my email.
    >
    > thanks

    Sorry, I know that I have to have a signal like Starbucks or Flying J etc.
    What I'm referring to is how to link OE and IE to the WiFi card. Right now I
    have dialup and satellite download, so I have to use a proxy server setting
    in IE or Firefox and OE on my desktop.

    My question is. How do I set up OE and IE or Firefox to accept the WiFi
    connection? DO I set it up as a proxy? Since I have never had internet on my
    laptop and I go to OE or IE it wants to know my dialup connection, phone
    number etc. Obviously that isn't what I have to do to make them accept the
    connection.

    Do you expect to stop at Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve your
    email YES

    thanks

    "Scott" <swgreen@wowway.com> wrote in message
    > I'm a little confused on what you are asking. Do you expect to stop at
    > Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve your email, or do you expect
    > it to work wherever you are? If the former, then if your wifi card is
    > integral to the laptop, it should recognize the signal and if passwords or
    > configuration is needed, you'll get that info at the hotspot. It won't
    work
    > wherever you are at.
    >

    > "yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
    > > I am really new to wireless. I have a laptop and a wifi card. The wifi
    > card
    > > is setup and operational in the laptop although I don't have a signal to
    > > check it with. Can somebody point me to somewhere I can learn how to set
    > up
    > > an internet connection with IE/Outlook express, so when I go on the road
    > > can use the laptop/ wifi to check my email.
    > >
    > > thanks

    OE and IE will detect your network.

    > Sorry, I know that I have to have a signal like Starbucks or Flying J etc.
    > What I'm referring to is how to link OE and IE to the WiFi card. Right now
    > have dialup and satellite download, so I have to use a proxy server
    setting
    > in IE or Firefox and OE on my desktop.
    >
    > My question is. How do I set up OE and IE or Firefox to accept the WiFi
    > connection? DO I set it up as a proxy? Since I have never had internet on
    my
    > laptop and I go to OE or IE it wants to know my dialup connection, phone
    > number etc. Obviously that isn't what I have to do to make them accept the
    > connection.
    >
    > Do you expect to stop at Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve
    your
    > email YES
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > "Scott" <swgreen@wowway.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm a little confused on what you are asking. Do you expect to stop at
    > > Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve your email, or do you
    expect
    > > it to work wherever you are? If the former, then if your wifi card is
    > > integral to the laptop, it should recognize the signal and if passwords
    or
    > > configuration is needed, you'll get that info at the hotspot. It won't
    > work
    > > wherever you are at.
    > >

    > > "yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
    > > > I am really new to wireless. I have a laptop and a wifi card. The wifi
    > > card
    > > > is setup and operational in the laptop although I don't have a signal
    > > > check it with. Can somebody point me to somewhere I can learn how to
    set
    > > up
    > > > an internet connection with IE/Outlook express, so when I go on the
    road
    > > > can use the laptop/ wifi to check my email.
    > > >
    > > > thanks

    ok thank you, I guess I should find a hotspot and try it.

    "Carol Carrot" <CarolCarrot@sofsof.net> wrote in message
    > OE and IE will detect your network.
    >
    > "yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
    > > Sorry, I know that I have to have a signal like Starbucks or Flying J
    etc.
    > > What I'm referring to is how to link OE and IE to the WiFi card. Right
    now
    > > have dialup and satellite download, so I have to use a proxy server
    > setting
    > > in IE or Firefox and OE on my desktop.
    > >
    > > My question is. How do I set up OE and IE or Firefox to accept the WiFi
    > > connection? DO I set it up as a proxy? Since I have never had internet
    on
    > my
    > > laptop and I go to OE or IE it wants to know my dialup connection, phone
    > > number etc. Obviously that isn't what I have to do to make them accept
    the
    > > connection.
    > >
    > > Do you expect to stop at Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve
    > your
    > > email YES
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > "Scott" <swgreen@wowway.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm a little confused on what you are asking. Do you expect to stop
    at
    > > > Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve your email, or do you
    > expect
    > > > it to work wherever you are? If the former, then if your wifi card is
    > > > integral to the laptop, it should recognize the signal and if
    passwords
    > or
    > > > configuration is needed, you'll get that info at the hotspot. It
    won't
    > > work
    > > > wherever you are at.
    > > >

    > > > "yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
    > > > card
    > set
    > > > up
    > road

    In order to make it quicker to find those hot spots you should
    download and install a free program called "Network Stumbler"

    "yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message news:<10itf8s52nlpn5c@corp.supernews.com>...
    > ok thank you, I guess I should find a hotspot and try it.
    >

    > "Carol Carrot" <CarolCarrot@sofsof.net> wrote in message
    > > OE and IE will detect your network.
    > >
    > > "yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
    > > > Sorry, I know that I have to have a signal like Starbucks or Flying J
    > etc.
    > > > What I'm referring to is how to link OE and IE to the WiFi card. Right
    > now
    > > > have dialup and satellite download, so I have to use a proxy server
    > setting
    > > > in IE or Firefox and OE on my desktop.
    > > >
    > > > My question is. How do I set up OE and IE or Firefox to accept the WiFi
    > > > connection? DO I set it up as a proxy? Since I have never had internet
    > on
    > my
    > > > laptop and I go to OE or IE it wants to know my dialup connection, phone
    > > > number etc. Obviously that isn't what I have to do to make them accept
    > the
    > > > connection.
    > > >
    > > > Do you expect to stop at Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve
    > your
    > > > email YES
    > > >
    > > > thanks
    > > >
    > > > "Scott" <swgreen@wowway.com> wrote in message
    > at
    > expect
    > passwords
    > or
    > won't
    > work

    > wifi
    > card
    > signal
    > set
    > up
    > road

Laptops Wireless WiFi and Home Networking Internet Wireless Networking