need 802.11 on laptop for internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 26, 2004 9:31:09 PM

I am really new to wireless. I have a laptop and a wifi card. The wifi card
is setup and operational in the laptop although I don't have a signal to
check it with. Can somebody point me to somewhere I can learn how to set up
an internet connection with IE/Outlook express, so when I go on the road I
can use the laptop/ wifi to check my email.

thanks

More about : 802 laptop internet

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 26, 2004 9:32:51 PM

sorry I forgot, I'm running XP pro.

"yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
> I am really new to wireless. I have a laptop and a wifi card. The wifi
card
> is setup and operational in the laptop although I don't have a signal to
> check it with. Can somebody point me to somewhere I can learn how to set
up
> an internet connection with IE/Outlook express, so when I go on the road I
> can use the laptop/ wifi to check my email.
>
> thanks

August 27, 2004 1:33:37 AM

I'm a little confused on what you are asking. Do you expect to stop at
Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve your email, or do you expect
it to work wherever you are? If the former, then if your wifi card is
integral to the laptop, it should recognize the signal and if passwords or
configuration is needed, you'll get that info at the hotspot. It won't work
wherever you are at.

"yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
> I am really new to wireless. I have a laptop and a wifi card. The wifi
card
> is setup and operational in the laptop although I don't have a signal to
> check it with. Can somebody point me to somewhere I can learn how to set
up
> an internet connection with IE/Outlook express, so when I go on the road I
> can use the laptop/ wifi to check my email.
>
> thanks

a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 27, 2004 1:33:38 AM

Sorry, I know that I have to have a signal like Starbucks or Flying J etc.
What I'm referring to is how to link OE and IE to the WiFi card. Right now I
have dialup and satellite download, so I have to use a proxy server setting
in IE or Firefox and OE on my desktop.

My question is. How do I set up OE and IE or Firefox to accept the WiFi
connection? DO I set it up as a proxy? Since I have never had internet on my
laptop and I go to OE or IE it wants to know my dialup connection, phone
number etc. Obviously that isn't what I have to do to make them accept the
connection.

Do you expect to stop at Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve your
email YES

thanks

"Scott" <swgreen@wowway.com> wrote in message
> I'm a little confused on what you are asking. Do you expect to stop at
> Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve your email, or do you expect
> it to work wherever you are? If the former, then if your wifi card is
> integral to the laptop, it should recognize the signal and if passwords or
> configuration is needed, you'll get that info at the hotspot. It won't
work
> wherever you are at.
>

> "yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
> > I am really new to wireless. I have a laptop and a wifi card. The wifi
> card
> > is setup and operational in the laptop although I don't have a signal to
> > check it with. Can somebody point me to somewhere I can learn how to set
> up
> > an internet connection with IE/Outlook express, so when I go on the road
> > can use the laptop/ wifi to check my email.
> >
> > thanks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 27, 2004 2:12:59 AM

OE and IE will detect your network.

> Sorry, I know that I have to have a signal like Starbucks or Flying J etc.
> What I'm referring to is how to link OE and IE to the WiFi card. Right now
> have dialup and satellite download, so I have to use a proxy server
setting
> in IE or Firefox and OE on my desktop.
>
> My question is. How do I set up OE and IE or Firefox to accept the WiFi
> connection? DO I set it up as a proxy? Since I have never had internet on
my
> laptop and I go to OE or IE it wants to know my dialup connection, phone
> number etc. Obviously that isn't what I have to do to make them accept the
> connection.
>
> Do you expect to stop at Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve
your
> email YES
>
> thanks
>
> "Scott" <swgreen@wowway.com> wrote in message
> > I'm a little confused on what you are asking. Do you expect to stop at
> > Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve your email, or do you
expect
> > it to work wherever you are? If the former, then if your wifi card is
> > integral to the laptop, it should recognize the signal and if passwords
or
> > configuration is needed, you'll get that info at the hotspot. It won't
> work
> > wherever you are at.
> >

> > "yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
> > > I am really new to wireless. I have a laptop and a wifi card. The wifi
> > card
> > > is setup and operational in the laptop although I don't have a signal
> > > check it with. Can somebody point me to somewhere I can learn how to
set
> > up
> > > an internet connection with IE/Outlook express, so when I go on the
road
> > > can use the laptop/ wifi to check my email.
> > >
> > > thanks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 27, 2004 3:48:36 AM

ok thank you, I guess I should find a hotspot and try it.

"Carol Carrot" <CarolCarrot@sofsof.net> wrote in message
> OE and IE will detect your network.
>
> "yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
> > Sorry, I know that I have to have a signal like Starbucks or Flying J
etc.
> > What I'm referring to is how to link OE and IE to the WiFi card. Right
now
> > have dialup and satellite download, so I have to use a proxy server
> setting
> > in IE or Firefox and OE on my desktop.
> >
> > My question is. How do I set up OE and IE or Firefox to accept the WiFi
> > connection? DO I set it up as a proxy? Since I have never had internet
on
> my
> > laptop and I go to OE or IE it wants to know my dialup connection, phone
> > number etc. Obviously that isn't what I have to do to make them accept
the
> > connection.
> >
> > Do you expect to stop at Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve
> your
> > email YES
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > "Scott" <swgreen@wowway.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm a little confused on what you are asking. Do you expect to stop
at
> > > Starbucks or some other "hotspot" to retrieve your email, or do you
> expect
> > > it to work wherever you are? If the former, then if your wifi card is
> > > integral to the laptop, it should recognize the signal and if
passwords
> or
> > > configuration is needed, you'll get that info at the hotspot. It
won't
> > work
> > > wherever you are at.
> > >

> > > "yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
> > > card
> set
> > > up
> road

August 28, 2004 4:38:32 PM

In order to make it quicker to find those hot spots you should
download and install a free program called "Network Stumbler"

!