My experiences with the Nforce2, Bad

R1a

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003
Lets start off with, I was expecting a Kick Ass board that is super stable and fast in games as well as sound that works.
I am currantly using a Shuttle AK35GT2 and I love this board, I have optamized all the settings and its Fast and Super stable and has Very good on board sound, Cmedia.

I went and purchased the Soltek SL75FRN-L expecting a small increase in performance and a Kick Ass board.
After installing it and updating all drivers I noticed a lot
of hitching and the sound was Horrible.
No matter what I did I always got a terrible static, I reduced it by updating to DX9 but it was always there.
The in game performance was terrible compared to the AK35GT2. When in UT2003 the Nforce board was hitching all the time and even just cutting out completely.
I think I just got a Really BAD board its being RMAd as I write this.
Hopefully Ill get a new one, if I dont Im staying away from Nvidias MOBOs all together.
I have read a number of reviews on the Soltek and no mention of my Really bad problems so Im crossing my fingers.
The AK35GT2 was a little trickier to optimize but once I got all the settings right I cant complain at all.
I updated both bios's to the new revisions and I found the Solteks 1.3 bios was making the hitching and crashes more pronounced and more often.
The weird thing was on the UT2003 bench mark the differnce in FPS was only 1 or 2 FPS faster for the AK35GT2 compared to the 75FRN-L so the highs were higher and the lows were REALLY LOWER on the 75FRN-L.
In game you would think the AK35GT2 was out performing the 75FRN-L by quit a bit but that wasnt the case it just kept the FPS in a MUCH more consistant smoother rate.
There were almost no dropped frames by the AK35GT2 compared to the 75FRN-L which was dropping to 0 often. WAY more stable for the AK35GT2.
All of that was VERY dissapointing for the 75FRN-L.

I started from scratch three times with the Nforce2 and just
formatted to go back with the KT333 and still no problems with the AK35GT2.

Has anyone else had a really bad experiance with an Nforce2 board and an Extreamly plesant one with the KT333 Chipsets.

My specs are
Windows 98se
Antec 1000 AMG
Antec Truepower 480
5 Antec fans
GF2 PRO 64meg (Upgrading next month to a 9500 or 9700)
Maxtor 40 gig 7200 2 meg
XP2000+ Palamino
Vantec Areoflow
OCZ PC2700 rev 3.2
Shuttle AK35GT2 (and a Soltek 75FRN-L RMAd)
Teac 24X burner
Sony floppy
Dlink lan
ATA 133 cables.

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Why are you still running Win98? Either get XP or keep your old system.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2200+, A7N8X Deluxe, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, Geforce3 Ti-500, Audigy Platinum, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled </font color=purple>

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
haha. nforce2 doesn't work well with 98. When you think about it, that operating system is almost 5 years old. What other program do you use that is almost 5 years old? Get xp or windows 2000 and your nforce2 will own. It won't with windows 98 no matter what you do