Intel Celeron 2ghz - what motherboard?

gurunaif

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Hi, i'm wanting to build a low cost system with an intel celeron 2ghz cpu but was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, cost effective motherboard? I'd also like to know what kind of memory the motherboard would require (ddr possible with celeron?). Ideally the board would have chipset audio+graphics (system not going to be used for gaming).

Many thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DDR is a possibility, and fast boards start at around $100, but you really should consider a low speed "Northwood" core (512k) P4 instead. The 1.6/512k CPU will run circles around the Celeron 2.0GHz. And it's overclockable to 2.4GHz.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
As Crash said forget the celeron. Try a low end northwood p4 or better yet get an athlon. You should be able to get a 2100 T-Bred B Athlon for the same price as a 2gighz celeron. And the 1600 Athlon has been shown to outperform a celeron at 3gighz in some cases so you can only imagine what the 2100 will do to a 2gighz celeron. Plus the T-bred B Athlon should be very possible to overclock to 2800 speeds with no problems. Which in theory (Providing they scale even) would be pretty close to a celeron at 5-6 gighz. All for the same price of that crappy celeron 2gighz.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

nickursis

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
I just built a 2.0 ghz Celeron (84.00) and ECS P4S5ADX+ mobo (64.00) machine that benchmarks at/near a P4 1.6A. It only loses in the math heavy testing, but overall it is a good, fast, quality system. Remember, the Celeron is a Willamette core with half the cache diasbled. That means it is a P4 internally, it just may need to go to memmory to get routine data for certain transactions. You can find a P4 1.8A (northwood)(512Kcache) processor for 118.00 on Pricewatch, so for 38.00 (50% more) you can have the P4 with larger cache.So you need to decide if you want a system that is really capable of anything, or one that may lag a little in certain areas, but cost less intially. The beauty of the board is it will allow an upgrade to a 533 mghz fsb processor later. LOL.

Backup my harddrive? How the hell do I get it in reverse?

andy_78

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
DON'T BUY A CELERON.REGARDING THE BOARD,A GIGABYTE GA-8PE667 (NOT "PRO" OR "ULTRA") WOULD BE A GOOD CHOICE.THE PERFORMANCES ARE REALLY CLOSE TO A "PRO" OR "ULTRA", BUT IT HAS NO MANY EQUIPMENT INTEGRATED LIKE THE OTHER TWO. I HAVE ONE OF THIS AT HOME AND IT WORKS PRETTY GOOD.IT IS VERY STABLE AND IT IS ALSO FAST ENOUGH FOR A LOW-COST SYSTEM.
THE PRICE (RETAIL) IS UNDER 95 US$.
GOOD LUCK.

gurunaif

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Thanks for the great info guys. In the end I heeded to your advice and went for an AMD chip instead (xp 2000+). Was the same price as the 2.0 Celereron.