You buy hardware and software locally or online?

At the store or off the internet?

• store

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • internet

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

urban_black_redneck

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Here in California the 8. something percent tax often is less than the basic shipping costs and the better online retailers like Tiger Direct and Newegg are based in this state, so you pay both tax and shipping when buying online most likely. I get instant shipping in the store at no extra charge, I make sure my stuff gets home safe and sound, if I get a dead product I don't have to ship it out I just take a 10 min drive around town ( even with $5/gal gas it is more cost effective), and it forces me to get some fresh air in the city. Unlike in the country I need a reason to go outside now.... I miss being able to get fresh rabbit meat at the cost of a pellet shot at ~800FPS from my RWS 48 and dirtbiking without making travel arrangements :(.

Overall I feel more comfortable going out and buying what I want versus online purchases.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Here in the UK you have to get stuff on-line and you still get screwed!! I even have stuff air-freighted from the US 'cause that is cheaper sometimes... (shipping vs. 17.5% VAT + UK markup) :cry:

Bob

joshthor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
i buy hardware online, i can find much cheaper prices online than in stores here in washington. however software it depends. games ill buy in stores, cause online its usually at max 10 dollars cheaper, and i still have to pay shipping, so its not worth the 3-5 day wait. software like photoshop or something i get online though, cause i can get a student discount for being in college (yay)

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007

I live in the channel islands, so VAT ceases to exist! however, shipping charges take the most obscene jump (how does £50 for ANYTHING to be delivered sound?)

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007

Well what do you expect, the postie can't just cycle across the water can he..... :lol:

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I buy most of my PC hardware from online retailers like newegg, tigerdirect, and zipzoomfly, but I buy almost all of PC and console games at stores like Gamestop and Best Buy. With digital distribution becoming pretty popular, I have quite a few titles purchased on Steam, and I've purchased a few full games on PSN.

urban_black_redneck

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Fallout 3 is listed for $49.99 on Steam. In my opinion that is a rip off compared to the hard copy for the same price. If I didn't live walking distance from a Gamestop that sold PC games I would rather order the disc off the internet and wait for a week. That's just me, though.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Yeah, maybe I wasn't exactly clear. When I say I purchase games on Steam, they're usually Valve titles. I usually like to own the physical copies of games if possible depending on what types of copyright protection is needed.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I actually prefer to get my games off Steam whenever possible. I don't have to worry about storing the damn box that way, and I don't have to worry about losing the dvd, or damaging it. You don't have to pay taxes or shipping on what you buy. Valve has pretty good customer service (at least in my experiences with them).

If it comes between ordering one of a website and having it shipped or going to the nearest best buy or gamestop, I'd rather just go to the store and get it right away.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
www.newegg.com : probably 90% of my hardware / software purchases.

I buy locally if there is a good sale at frys or if I need something right away.

Newegg has fallout 3 for 44.99 w\ free shipping + no tax.

I buy most of my stuff on-line, but I still buy some stuff in a store; especially if it is on sale in a nearby store and is cheaper than online.

One thing I will never buy online are Verbatim 8.5GB DL blank DVDs. Those I only buy from BestBuy. There are two sources India and Singapore; based on many user opininons those disk from India have a higher failure rate than from Singapore. I happen to agree since I had write failures with the ones from India. The vast majority of Verbatim 8.5GB blanks that I have used (80%+) are from Singapore, and I never had an issue with them.

I bought Fallout 3 from BestBuy since I had a $50 gift certificate.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Newegg for hardware, gamestop or amazon usually for software preorders, Steam or Impulse for software downloads, and occasionally I'll actually buy something at the store.

thehelo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
i'm pretty lucky and i have a tiger direct retail location about 15 minutes away from where i live. I still use newegg though for as much as i can seeing as the shipping is cheap and fast, the prices are generally lower than tiger's, and there is no tax for me.

clay12340

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I prefer to buy locally, but often with hardware the selection and cost make buying locally impossible or impractical.

I just really like the experience of walking into a store and handling the retail box before I decide to buy it. It's like a little trip back to the pre-internet days when you had to actually leave the house to buy things. Now my problem is when I leave the house I have to fight with UPS or Fedex to get the packages I wasn't there to sign for.

computerninja7823

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
i buy most of my stuff from newegg, though there is a microcenter store (an amazing store!) about 1 1/4 hours from my house and about 1/2 an hour from my grandparents house (i can be found thier often). anyways microcenter has prices sometime cheaper than newegg...and they have a selection as broad as newegg also!

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Heya,

I buy quite a bit at NewEgg. However, I also buy locally at my local BestBuy because that's all that there is locally that sells the things I seek. I generally buy cables, mice, keyboards, speakers, monitors, cases, etc, locally. I buy things like PC components from NewEgg because it's a lot cheaper. But a lot of the external/periphreal devices I get/use are near the same price, so I like to be able to see them as I buy them rather than buy & wait. For example, my local BestBuy has the Antec 900 case for the same price as on NewEgg. Kind of cool to be able to buy something like that at a local store for the same cost. I can open it and see it right there before taking it home to find out it's bent to hell.

I buy software locally. I see no reason to buy it online unless it's a download-only type software purchase (like Fraps).

Cheers,

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
computer parts - buy online
software/games - buy locally (i like having them straight away)

i live in the uk and use the following sites:

www.scan.co.uk
www.misco.co.uk
www.cclcomputers.com
www.aria.co.uk

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
www.ebuyer.co.uk to that list as well. Might be a few pounds more on some products but they have AMAZING service.
+1 to Aria, can vouch for them.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Boo to not allowing me to edit, apologies for double post.

I always buy Hardware online. Software is 50/50, i ebay quite a few old titles, new ones i will go retail.