Can some one tell me why?

Can some one tell me why Outlook express is such a pain in the ass in windows
XP.....
today it works tommorow it dont the next day maybe!
whats up with this, its driving me %$#@ing nuts.
Im so sick of this OS, the bad thing is once they get all the bugs out of it
there will be a new one forced upon us as this one was.
and if you think its bad now, just setback and see.

Win 98 all the way baby!!!

Works fine here.
TonySper

"LostinXP" <LostinXP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Can some one tell me why Outlook express is such a pain in the ass in
windows
XP.....
today it works tommorow it dont the next day maybe!
whats up with this, its driving me %$#@ing nuts.
Im so sick of this OS, the bad thing is once they get all the bugs out
of it
there will be a new one forced upon us as this one was.
and if you think its bad now, just setback and see.

Win 98 all the way baby!!!

"LostinXP" <LostinXP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can some one tell me why Outlook express is such a pain in the ass in
> windows XP.....
> today it works tommorow it dont the next day maybe!
> whats up with this, its driving me %$#@ing nuts.
> Im so sick of this OS, the bad thing is once they get all the bugs
> out of it there will be a new one forced upon us as this one was.
> and if you think its bad now, just setback and see.
>
> Win 98 all the way baby!!!

I have no problems with OE on WinXP.
What do you mean by not working?
If you get any error message give us the complete message.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

papa

Windows XP and OE consistently work fine on all 4 of my computers, and they
all have SP2 installed. Really, they are very good tools. Why don't you
provide some details and then someone in this forum may be able to help you
correct the problem.

martin

LostinXP wrote:
> Can some one tell me why Outlook express is such a pain in the ass in windows
> XP.....
> today it works tommorow it dont the next day maybe!
> whats up with this, its driving me %$#@ing nuts.
> Im so sick of this OS, the bad thing is once they get all the bugs out of it
> there will be a new one forced upon us as this one was.
> and if you think its bad now, just setback and see.
>
> Win 98 all the way baby!!!

Do a Google for Thunderbird!! best mail and news program around, and its free.
--
Best Wishes from Martin

So many questions, so few answers.

LostinXP wrote:
> Can some one tell me why Outlook express is such a pain in the ass in
> windows XP.....
> today it works tommorow it dont the next day maybe!
> whats up with this, its driving me %$#@ing nuts.
> Im so sick of this OS, the bad thing is once they get all the bugs
> out of it there will be a new one forced upon us as this one was.
> and if you think its bad now, just setback and see.
>
> Win 98 all the way baby!!!

And your problems are?

Better newsgroup for OE :-

Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

the first 3 lines:

"Kath Adams" wrote:

> LostinXP wrote:
> > Can some one tell me why Outlook express is such a pain in the ass in
> > windows XP.....
> > today it works tommorow it dont the next day maybe!
> > whats up with this, its driving me %$#@ing nuts.
> > Im so sick of this OS, the bad thing is once they get all the bugs
> > out of it there will be a new one forced upon us as this one was.
> > and if you think its bad now, just setback and see.
> >
> > Win 98 all the way baby!!!
>
> And your problems are?
>
> Better newsgroup for OE :-
>
> --
> Kath Adams
> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

That is more of a feeling.
You have given no details to work with so no real suggestions can be given
other than take this to the correct group which you seem to have rejected.

Since from your pose Windows XP seems to be working and OE is not, the other
newsgroup is clearly the correct place.
OE works fine on my Windows XP computers...every day.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

> the first 3 lines:
> Can some one tell me why Outlook express is such a pain in the ass in
> windows XP.....
> today it works tommorow it dont the next day maybe!
>

> "Kath Adams" wrote:
>
>> LostinXP wrote:
>> > Can some one tell me why Outlook express is such a pain in the ass in
>> > windows XP.....
>> > today it works tommorow it dont the next day maybe!
>> > whats up with this, its driving me %$#@ing nuts.
>> > Im so sick of this OS, the bad thing is once they get all the bugs
>> > out of it there will be a new one forced upon us as this one was.
>> > and if you think its bad now, just setback and see.
>> >
>> > Win 98 all the way baby!!!
>>
>> And your problems are?
>>
>> Better newsgroup for OE :-
>>
>> --
>> Kath Adams
>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

here is the error i get:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.xxxxxxxxx.com',
Server: 'pop.xxxxxxxxxx.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I know its not XP or OE its a bad file or a bad install of the OS.
the computer is two months old and has had this trouble since the day it was
taken out of the box and pluged in.
Im not sure why!
and by the way it is a DELL and i have called support.
the trouble with dell support is your talking to someone in some third world
country. ( that is when you can make out what there saying )
DELL support has gone way down from the first one i bought. ( JMO )

"Papa" wrote:

> Windows XP and OE consistently work fine on all 4 of my computers, and they
> all have SP2 installed. Really, they are very good tools. Why don't you
> provide some details and then someone in this forum may be able to help you
> correct the problem.

The age of the computer is not relevant.
The fact you have had the problem from the beginning may be.

Do you have a firewall other than the Windows firewall?
If so, first activate the Windows firewall:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283673
Then disable/bypass any other firewall.
If all is now OK, your problem is with the firewall.

Have you contacted your ISP and verified your settings are correct?

Otherwise check with the Outlook Express newsgroup.

--

> here is the error i get:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.xxxxxxxxx.com',
> Server: 'pop.xxxxxxxxxx.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
> Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> I know its not XP or OE its a bad file or a bad install of the OS.
> the computer is two months old and has had this trouble since the day it
> was
> taken out of the box and pluged in.
> Im not sure why!
> and by the way it is a DELL and i have called support.
> the trouble with dell support is your talking to someone in some third
> world
> country. ( that is when you can make out what there saying )
> DELL support has gone way down from the first one i bought. ( JMO )
>
> "Papa" wrote:
>
>> Windows XP and OE consistently work fine on all 4 of my computers, and
>> they
>> all have SP2 installed. Really, they are very good tools. Why don't you
>> provide some details and then someone in this forum may be able to help
>> you
>> correct the problem.

"LostinXP" <LostinXP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> here is the error i get:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.xxxxxxxxx.com',
> Server: 'pop.xxxxxxxxxx.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
> No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> I know its not XP or OE its a bad file or a bad install of the OS.
> the computer is two months old and has had this trouble since the day
> it was taken out of the box and pluged in.
> Im not sure why!
> and by the way it is a DELL and i have called support.
> the trouble with dell support is your talking to someone in some
> third world country. ( that is when you can make out what there
> saying )
> DELL support has gone way down from the first one i bought. ( JMO )

Error 0x800ccc0e, Socket Err 10061 (Outlook or Outlook Express & Exchange)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191687

If that isn't it turn off email scanning in your anti-virus. It provides no
added protection.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

ricardo

LostinXP wrote:
> Can some one tell me why Outlook express is such a pain in the ass in windows
> XP.....
> today it works tommorow it dont the next day maybe!
> whats up with this, its driving me %$#@ing nuts.
> Im so sick of this OS, the bad thing is once they get all the bugs out of it
> there will be a new one forced upon us as this one was.
> and if you think its bad now, just setback and see.
>
> Win 98 all the way baby!!!
SSL on a pop3 account uses port 995 try using port 110 with SSL de-selected.

as of now its working i think the auto update is the trouble.
seems that after i had it set up it downloaded a java runtime update.
I did a restore to the first restore point and got a box wanting to upgrade
it.
I re-setup the account info and it works fine now.
must be something in the upgrade, Ya think?
well all that matters is it is working now.

"ricardo" wrote:

> LostinXP wrote:
> > Can some one tell me why Outlook express is such a pain in the ass in windows
> > XP.....
> > today it works tommorow it dont the next day maybe!
> > whats up with this, its driving me %$#@ing nuts.
> > Im so sick of this OS, the bad thing is once they get all the bugs out of it
> > there will be a new one forced upon us as this one was.
> > and if you think its bad now, just setback and see.
> >
> > Win 98 all the way baby!!!
> SSL on a pop3 account uses port 995 try using port 110 with SSL de-selected.

Oh Well!
that must have not been the trouble, Now it's not working.
Looks like web based mail is what its going to be.
Since thats the case, this is solved as for as I can see.
OS or OE is broke.

"LostinXP" wrote:

> as of now its working i think the auto update is the trouble.
> seems that after i had it set up it downloaded a java runtime update.
> I did a restore to the first restore point and got a box wanting to upgrade
> it.
> I re-setup the account info and it works fine now.
> must be something in the upgrade, Ya think?
> well all that matters is it is working now.
>
> "ricardo" wrote:
>
> > LostinXP wrote:
> > > Can some one tell me why Outlook express is such a pain in the ass in windows
> > > XP.....
> > > today it works tommorow it dont the next day maybe!
> > > whats up with this, its driving me %$#@ing nuts.
> > > Im so sick of this OS, the bad thing is once they get all the bugs out of it
> > > there will be a new one forced upon us as this one was.
> > > and if you think its bad now, just setback and see.
> > >
> > > Win 98 all the way baby!!!
> > SSL on a pop3 account uses port 995 try using port 110 with SSL de-selected.

What did they say in the OE newsgroups when you asked there?

--

> Oh Well!
> that must have not been the trouble, Now it's not working.
> Looks like web based mail is what its going to be.
> Since thats the case, this is solved as for as I can see.
> OS or OE is broke.
>
> "LostinXP" wrote:

Yes, Start up in safe mode, go to folder that contains index.dat, tight
click on the file and hit the delete key. go to desktop and empty the
recycle bin. And it is gone.

> What did they say in the OE newsgroups when you asked there?
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "LostinXP" <LostinXP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Oh Well!
>> that must have not been the trouble, Now it's not working.
>> Looks like web based mail is what its going to be.
>> Since thats the case, this is solved as for as I can see.
>> OS or OE is broke.
>>
>> "LostinXP" wrote:

and this will fix it??

I have found that if i reboot it works.
pain in the but to have to reboot to get my mail, but maybe it will tell you
guys whats going on.