Window 98 unattended installation

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Is it possible to perform a 100% unattended installation of Windows 98?

I used the Batch.exe utility located inside the \Tools\Reskit\ folder on Windows 98 CD ROM. Everything is automated but when installation process reaches the "User Information" dialogue box, then it stops there and I have to click Next button three times for 'User Information', Licence Agreement, and Windows Product Key dialogue boxes.

Is there a way to avoid these clicks?

Thanks in advance!

<font color=red><i>"All delays are dangerous in war."</font color=red></i>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If the answer file does not have such options to put in user's info, it is no go. I don't think 98 was designed for unattended installation. I've done 2k and XP a lot, but not 98.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Batch.exe tool which is used to create the answer file for Windows 98 unattended install, does have option for 'User Information', Windows key etc. And even there is an option "Auto-accept user information", but it doesn't seem to work.

I even tried <A HREF="http://www.911cd.net/911disks/win_setup/" target="_new">The 911 Windows Setup Assistant</A>, but -- same results.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why do you even try to use unattended install. What kind of need for that? Why don't you use Ghost image for "new" installs.

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Because I have to Install Windows 98 on systems with completely different hardware -- and I don't think it would be a good idea to use a single ghost image for a 'new' installation on these different system. I'm not in a position to create separate images for all the systems because sometimes, I even don't know what kind of hardware the system contains.

Thanks!

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The beauty of W9x installs that after you take a harddrive from one machine and place it into completely other, W9x will happily find new hardware and recorfigure itself in a matter of a reboot or two. And from the things that you are trying "to achive" your solution will help you maybe just a bit more than a single Ghost image, caz anyway you will need drivers for the rest of the bunch whatever those will be. Sounds like you have some "Job" after W98 was pernaunced "outdated" a couple of months ago.