Help! High Ping after five minutes of game play!

sackcheck

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
This is something really new to me and sounds like a virus of some sort maybe.

It started happening a month ago while I was playing COD4, I would connect to my usual server and start playing with a ping of 35-55, then after five minutes my ping would sky rocket to 200 and keep going.

At first I thought it was the server then tried multiple servers with the same problem. Then I thought it was my other computers in my house, after shutting them down and restarting my game nothing changed. Then I updated punkbuster thinking it was that and nothing.

It isn't just COD4 it happens with BF2 and BF2142, but when it happens in BF2 my in game connection reads a good (44).

I ran a full virus and spyware check on my system, and found a handful of Trojans and the typical amount of cookies. After deleting them all restarting my com and BF2 same crap.

I sure you can imagine the frustration I'm going through when playing a sweet round of COD4 then It gets laggy as ****.

Please can some one HELP me, Left 4 Dead will be coming out soon and I don't want to deal with this while playing......HELP!

How do you connect to the net? Sounds like a router issue to me - does it go away temporarily if you reboot your router? Some routers (cough DLink cough) can have issues with anything other than basic browsing.

mi1ez

Splendid

My DLink router's about as reliable as a bowl of jelly. Sometimes it come up as 2 networks and won't let you connect to either. overheating? I know my router gets pretty warm even though it gets good ventilation...

I don't know if it's overheating or crap firmware or what - but they've slipped a long way from back in the day when they made the *only* reliable print servers for less than £150.

I spent a few weeks tryig to diagnose one for one of the directors here - I wouldn't say that one was getting too warm as it was on a hard surface in a well ventilated place etc, but maybe the case design is *that* bad... :)