Does everyone new to XP feel as dumb as I do?

I'm new to XP. My old one had Win 98 and I felt like I had a pretty
knowledgable grip on using my it to the fullest.

After buying the new model, I learned that my older printer and scanner
wouldn't work with my new equipment, so I bought new. Not a problem, I like
to buy new stuff.

The difficulties I encountered with my printer led me to this newsgroup, and
others groups associated with XP. The more I read, the more I realize how
little I know, and feel like I've gone backwards instead of forward.

Do I have any company here?

Lois

Lois.
Probably.
But you also may be a step ahead of many if you are realistically seeing
your limitations and acting accordingly.

I guess it is to late now, but you did verify with the printer and scanner
manufacturer there were no Windows XP drivers?

You will most likely love Windows XP once you really how to use it.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote in message
> I'm new to XP. My old one had Win 98 and I felt like I had a pretty
> knowledgable grip on using my it to the fullest.
>
> After buying the new model, I learned that my older printer and scanner
> wouldn't work with my new equipment, so I bought new. Not a problem, I
> like to buy new stuff.
>
> The difficulties I encountered with my printer led me to this newsgroup,
> and others groups associated with XP. The more I read, the more I realize
> how little I know, and feel like I've gone backwards instead of forward.
>
> Do I have any company here?
>
> Lois

Check here
1) Click Start->Help and Support

2) Spend some time here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/default.mspx

3) There are a number of excellent resources here as well
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/best_xp_sites.htm

4) click the link under my signature below
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote in message
> I'm new to XP. My old one had Win 98 and I felt like I had a pretty
> knowledgable grip on using my it to the fullest.
>
> After buying the new model, I learned that my older printer and scanner
> wouldn't work with my new equipment, so I bought new. Not a problem, I
> like to buy new stuff.
>
> The difficulties I encountered with my printer led me to this newsgroup,
> and others groups associated with XP. The more I read, the more I realize
> how little I know, and feel like I've gone backwards instead of forward.
>
> Do I have any company here?
>
> Lois

Are you kidding? There was a time when I was so dangerous to a computer that
Norton wanted to classify me as a virus!

But I survived and so will you. There is an enormous amount to learn to make
a computer run well, and it takes a lot of reading to understand it all.
Don't get discouraged. Just take your time and follow these rules:

1. Don't do anything to your computer until you thoroughly understand what
you are about to do. That means a lot of reading and preparation, but it's
all worthwhile.

2. Learn how to backup and do it often. Backing up is like kissing: You can
never do it too much and it always feels good.

3. Learn how to protect your privacy and security.

4. If you're not sure about something, ASK. The Internet is chock full of
places where you can ask questions and find good answers. These newsgroups
can help. I've already made every mistake you've made, and several mistakes
that would never even occur to you to make.

Ted Zieglar

"Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote in message
> I'm new to XP. My old one had Win 98 and I felt like I had a pretty
> knowledgable grip on using my it to the fullest.
>
> After buying the new model, I learned that my older printer and scanner
> wouldn't work with my new equipment, so I bought new. Not a problem, I
> like to buy new stuff.
>
> The difficulties I encountered with my printer led me to this newsgroup,
> and others groups associated with XP. The more I read, the more I realize
> how little I know, and feel like I've gone backwards instead of forward.
>
> Do I have any company here?
>
> Lois

I agree with everyone else who's responded. Like you, I migrated from 98SE
to XP Pro a few months ago. I had a pretty good knowledge of the 98SE but
felt like a real idiot when it came to XP! I figured the more I know, the
more I realise that I don't know!

I agree with Ted's comment about the Internet being packed with useful tips
but I'd add a note of caution - I prefer to check out the NG or the websites
of reputable folks (their names will soon emerge if you just hang around the
NGs for a couple of weeks) rather than merely googling for something that
you want to resolve and take the first advice you find. You can always
check another site to see if the advice is identical. I suppose I could be
regarded as paranoid but I guess it's like asking a workman to come and do
some repairs at home - I'd tend to get at least two, if not three, estimates
before agreeing for someone to do the work!

HTH

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement.

After having a couple of traumatic experiences with so-called
"knowledgeable" technical support people giving me bad advice, I've come to
question just about everything, and will tread very carefully with my new
investment.

Oh yes, I'll also continue to lurk here and see what other pointers I can
pick up.

Thanks again,
Lois

Jennifer

2. Learn how to backup and do it often. Backing up is like kissing: You can
never do it too much and it always feels good.

Speaking of backing up? How the heck do I back up to a CD? 98 had a
command for it in accessories not xp. Happy to read about it if you link me
to something I can study :) Thanks

Jennifer wrote:
> 2. Learn how to backup and do it often. Backing up is like kissing:
> You can never do it too much and it always feels good.
>

> Speaking of backing up? How the heck do I back up to a CD? 98 had a
> command for it in accessories not xp. Happy to read about it if you
> link me to something I can study :) Thanks

How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

Yes - you still need some sort of external media to store the results
on, but you could schedule the backup to occur when you are not around,
then burn the resultant data onto CD or DVD or something when you are
(while you do other things!)

--
<- Shenan ->

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 03:24:12 -0600, "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com>
wrote:

Best, fastest, safest way to backup is to have a 2 drive system. 1 drive for
data [larger than the boot drive].
Then use some sort of clone command from DOS Xcopy will do the trick in a batch
file.
Xcopy -s C: D:
One thing about this though I find it happening all the time I'll rename or
move something [system files excepted] usually an image file or an extremely
poorly named [32 characters or more] folder. But not after the bad one had
already been backed up. creating useless dupes on the backup taking up space.
Plus with this method when you need to recover, you need to boot your system.
What better than to boot from the backup drive and do a reverse Xcopy ?
no searching for a good backup CD.

Jennifer wrote:

>Speaking of backing up? How the heck do I back up to a CD? 98 had a
>command for it in accessories not xp. Happy to read about it if you link me
>to something I can study :) Thanks

Needs third party software. Eg at www.sonic.com look at Simple Backup
or the more expensive Backup My PC

Actually, XP does have a backup utility but it's not installed by default.
Insert the installation CD and browse for NTBackup.

"Alex Nichol" <alexn.mvpdts@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote in message
> Jennifer wrote:
>

>>Speaking of backing up? How the heck do I back up to a CD? 98 had a
>>command for it in accessories not xp. Happy to read about it if you link
>>me
>>to something I can study :) Thanks
>>

> Needs third party software. Eg at www.sonic.com look at Simple Backup
> or the more expensive Backup My PC
>

> --
> Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
> Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

Windows XP Pro has it installed by default, but not Home.
Also many OEMs do not provide the necessary files with their Windows XP Home
CDs so for them a 3rd party solution is necessary.

--

"Augie Doggie" <zippy@pinhead.org> wrote in message
> Actually, XP does have a backup utility but it's not installed by default.
> Insert the installation CD and browse for NTBackup.

Jennifer

THANKS EVERYONE who answered me and gave me some starting points at least.
Lots of reading material anyway huh? lol

Windows XP Pro has it installed by default, but not Home.
Also many OEMs do not provide the necessary files with their Windows XP Home
CDs so for them a 3rd party solution is necessary.

I have XP home and its OEM so I am going to read through the resources all
of you kind people shared with me and get back to you with what I discover!
One thought though....If its standard with xp shouldnt i be able to get it
for free from microsoft...I mean I paid for a puter with xp installed and
have my codes. Just a thought. Thanks again everyone.

Jennifer;
If you have Windows XP Home, NTBACKUP is not standard.
It is an optional component that some OEMs choose not to provide.

Also since NTBACKUP has limitations:
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=315255
3rd party options are usually preferred.

--

> 2. Learn how to backup and do it often. Backing up is like kissing: You
> can
> never do it too much and it always feels good.
>

> Speaking of backing up? How the heck do I back up to a CD? 98 had a
> command for it in accessories not xp. Happy to read about it if you link
> me
> to something I can study :) Thanks

Hi Jennifer. I'm afraid that Windows 98 did not have a command to backup to
CD. You need third party software to do that. In XP it is possible to use
the built in burning engine with NTBackup if you use a work around like one
here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/saving_files_to_cd.htm However XP's
NTBackup is very limited in it's abilities. There is an add-on called
Firestreamer http://www.firestreamer.com/ that enables you use burn directly
to DVD from NTBackup. However it isn't designed to work with CDs and will
only work with the DVD "+" format.

If you want to create full system backups you should look into decent
software that will meet your needs.

Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell\User]
www.webtree.ca