how secure are XP passwords?

December 20, 2004 7:27:54 AM

If a person steals my computer, but doesn't know my password to get into XP
pro, is there any way he can access the documents on my hard-drive?

thanks

More about : secure passwords

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 7:27:55 AM

Canaray wrote:
> If a person steals my computer, but doesn't know my password to get
> into XP pro, is there any way he can access the documents on my
> hard-drive?

Physical access to a PC and time - be it a Windows, *nix, whatever OS -
means a person *can* access anything on it - given the proper skills/tools.

--
<- Shenan ->
December 20, 2004 7:27:55 AM

If someone is determined, it's only a matter of time. That's true of any
computer running any operating system.

Ted Zieglar

"Canaray" <dristo@misy.com> wrote in message

> If a person steals my computer, but doesn't know my password to get into
> XP pro, is there any way he can access the documents on my hard-drive?
>
> thanks

December 20, 2004 7:27:55 AM

If your XP computer is stolen and they person who gets it
uses the Windows XP installed on the computer to try and log
on, and you have a secure password, it is very difficult.
That is if your logon password and the hidden default admin
account are both are password protected with something
like.... w%klk4659-3Tp21 instead of yellowbird.
But if they install a second cheap hard drive with Windows
XP and boot from that drive and use the procedure to take
ownership of the files and folders, then the issue is did
you encrypt and password protect the files and folders
themselves.

If the FBI/CIA has your computer or a thief had their tools,
the data can be read using an electron microscope, bit by
bit.

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year
"Canaray" <dristo@misy.com> wrote in message

| If a person steals my computer, but doesn't know my
password to get into XP
| pro, is there any way he can access the documents on my
hard-drive?

| thanks

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 7:27:55 AM

No.
See #3 on this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/colu...
If you lose physical control of the computer, the data now belongs to
whoever controls the computer.

An exception may be encryption.
But if improperly used, you may permanently lose access to the data:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Canaray" <dristo@misy.com> wrote in message

> If a person steals my computer, but doesn't know my password to get into
> XP pro, is there any way he can access the documents on my hard-drive?
>
> thanks

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 7:27:55 AM

He can easily reset the password with a simple password hacking program that
is readily available for free download.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Canaray" <dristo@misy.com> wrote in message

> If a person steals my computer, but doesn't know my password to get into
> XP pro, is there any way he can access the documents on my hard-drive?
>
> thanks

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 9:05:23 PM

If a person comes into possession of your PC, they can easily own whatever
is contained within.

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP

"Canaray" <dristo@misy.com> wrote in message

> If a person steals my computer, but doesn't know my password to get into
> XP pro, is there any way he can access the documents on my hard-drive?
>
> thanks

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 2:42:35 AM

Thank you all for your perspectives.

I was thinking more around the scenario of a "common thief" who wants to
turn around and make a buck off what he steals. More along the lines about
how easy it would be for the "average" person to hack into. I guess most
people who would buy a hot computer may not be "average" anyways.

My current password is a combo of 3 letters and 3 numbers - just to make my
logging in less of a headache. but, like some of you have said, if a
"window password hack" is easily downloadable, it ma not make any difference
to invent a really cryptic password anyway.

would it make any difference to buy one of those utilities that applies an
extra password layer to your log-in?

thanks!
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 2:42:36 AM

It all depends on what you're trying to secure. If you care
about those emails from Grandma that talk about your potty
training and your cute Underoos. If you have your family
life and banking/tax history you need more. If you are
planning a bank robbery or a terrorist attack, you should
check with the FBI for free web storage.

--

| Thank you all for your perspectives.
|
| I was thinking more around the scenario of a "common
thief" who wants to
| turn around and make a buck off what he steals. More
along the lines about
| how easy it would be for the "average" person to hack
into. I guess most
| people who would buy a hot computer may not be "average"
anyways.

| My current password is a combo of 3 letters and 3
numbers - just to make my
| logging in less of a headache. but, like some of you have
said, if a
| "window password hack" is easily downloadable, it ma not
make any difference
| to invent a really cryptic password anyway.
|
| would it make any difference to buy one of those utilities
that applies an
| extra password layer to your log-in?
|

| thanks!

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 2:42:36 AM

It is likely that the reseller (the person who buys the system from the
thief) will wipe the drive and probably reinstall an OS of some sort to make
the hot system more attractive for resale. However if the thief hopes to
check your system out for files, information such as credit card numbers or
other data he/she can take advantage of then they will either hack it
themselves or find someone who can hack the system for them.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Canaray" <dristo@misy.com> wrote in message

> Thank you all for your perspectives.
>
> I was thinking more around the scenario of a "common thief" who wants to
> turn around and make a buck off what he steals. More along the lines
> about how easy it would be for the "average" person to hack into. I guess
> most people who would buy a hot computer may not be "average" anyways.
>
> My current password is a combo of 3 letters and 3 numbers - just to make
> my logging in less of a headache. but, like some of you have said, if a
> "window password hack" is easily downloadable, it ma not make any
> difference to invent a really cryptic password anyway.
>
> would it make any difference to buy one of those utilities that applies an
> extra password layer to your log-in?
>

> thanks!

Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:24:23 AM

Canaray,
> would it make any difference to buy one of those utilities that applies an
> extra password layer to your log-in?>

If it makes you feel a bit safer, you can go into the BIOS and set a boot
password up. Problem is that you'll have to use it every time you boot the
machine.

> thanks! >
You're welcome.

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:30:02 AM

Harry,
Most thieves only want what they can steal for a fast turnaround. They only
look forward to a fast buck for a quick fix in the arm, up the nose et al.
I doubt this category will be surfing the files.

The occasional more sophisticated (tho I use that term with abandon here)
perp would try to 'get rid of the evidence' with a rebuild of the unit.

A white collar crook determined to get your personal stuff probably will,
especially if he has physical control of the box.

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP

> It is likely that the reseller (the person who buys the system from the
> thief) will wipe the drive and probably reinstall an OS of some sort to
> make the hot system more attractive for resale. However if the thief hopes
> to check your system out for files, information such as credit card
> numbers or other data he/she can take advantage of then they will either
> hack it themselves or find someone who can hack the system for them.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Canaray" <dristo@misy.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Thank you all for your perspectives.
>>
>> I was thinking more around the scenario of a "common thief" who wants to
>> turn around and make a buck off what he steals. More along the lines
>> about how easy it would be for the "average" person to hack into. I
>> guess most people who would buy a hot computer may not be "average"
>> anyways.
>>
>> My current password is a combo of 3 letters and 3 numbers - just to make
>> my logging in less of a headache. but, like some of you have said, if a
>> "window password hack" is easily downloadable, it ma not make any
>> difference to invent a really cryptic password anyway.
>>
>> would it make any difference to buy one of those utilities that applies
>> an extra password layer to your log-in?
>>

>> thanks!

Anonymous
December 23, 2004 1:36:37 PM

"Ron Chamberlin" <ronchamberlin@msn.msn.com> wrote in message
news:o 75Ys%23K6EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
> Canaray,
>> would it make any difference to buy one of those utilities that
>> applies an extra password layer to your log-in?>
>
> If it makes you feel a bit safer, you can go into the BIOS and set a
> boot password up. Problem is that you'll have to use it every time
> you boot the machine.
>

>> thanks! >
> You're welcome.
>
> Ron Chamberlin
> MS-MVP

And that is also relatively easy to get around.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Ron,
I agree. I think what you've said expands on what I was alluding to.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> Harry,
> Most thieves only want what they can steal for a fast turnaround. They
> only look forward to a fast buck for a quick fix in the arm, up the nose
> et al. I doubt this category will be surfing the files.
>
> The occasional more sophisticated (tho I use that term with abandon here)
> perp would try to 'get rid of the evidence' with a rebuild of the unit.
>
> A white collar crook determined to get your personal stuff probably will,
> especially if he has physical control of the box.
>
> Ron Chamberlin
> MS-MVP
>
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
>> It is likely that the reseller (the person who buys the system from the
>> thief) will wipe the drive and probably reinstall an OS of some sort to
>> make the hot system more attractive for resale. However if the thief
>> hopes to check your system out for files, information such as credit card
>> numbers or other data he/she can take advantage of then they will either
>> hack it themselves or find someone who can hack the system for them.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>

>> "Canaray" <dristo@misy.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Thank you all for your perspectives.
>>>
>>> I was thinking more around the scenario of a "common thief" who wants to
>>> turn around and make a buck off what he steals. More along the lines
>>> about how easy it would be for the "average" person to hack into. I
>>> guess most people who would buy a hot computer may not be "average"
>>> anyways.
>>>
>>> My current password is a combo of 3 letters and 3 numbers - just to make
>>> my logging in less of a headache. but, like some of you have said, if a
>>> "window password hack" is easily downloadable, it ma not make any
>>> difference to invent a really cryptic password anyway.
>>>
>>> would it make any difference to buy one of those utilities that applies
>>> an extra password layer to your log-in?
>>>

>>> thanks!

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 12:39:34 AM

Frank,

<And that is also relatively easy to get around.>

'Twas why I prefaced the remark with "if it makes you feel a little bit
safer..." :)

Ron

news:o ak7M1Q6EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

!