100 MHz works 133 doesn't?

Lord_Arthur

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2001
I'm very confused and am fishing for suggestions...

Here's the scoop:
System:
Motherboard Asus A7V266E That's with the KT266A chipset
Athlon XP 1900+
2 Dimms of 512 meg PC 2100 Ram

Problem:
When my system is clocked at 133 MHz FSB and 133 MHz RAM I experiance alot of random crashing

when my system is clocked at 100 MHz FSB and 100 MHz RAM the system seems quite stable

When my sytem is clocked at 133 MHz FSB and 100 MHz Ram (3/4 multiplyer) lots of random crashes.

Note: all speeds are what the bios say's, the actually speed will of course be doubled...

Questions:
Could this be a motherboad problem, and how do I check for it?

Could this be a Proceesor problem, and how would I check?

Could this be a Ram issues? even thought with RAM clocked at 100 and FSB at 133 it still crashes?

or could this be a software problem (I'm running win2k) is it time to format?

or, could this be a diffrent component malfunctioning? such as the video card or nic or some such thing? I would assume not on this because the clock on these stays the same regardless of the FSB because the multiplyers work correctly...

Unfortunalty I don't have alot of other hardware around to try and swap things around and find the problem... so it'd be really helpfull if any checking could be done with just the system I have...

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
The problem seems, from your description, to come up when you put the CPU at 133fsb.

1) Is your BIOS updated to a version with timings for XP1900+?

2) You may have to uninstall and re-install your VIA 4 in 1 drivers. (latest version recommended)

3) Check temperatures and voltages, be sure they are in range.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Does your MB allow you to adjust voltage settings? I believe you need to give your cpu some more juice.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
ok, I just looked At your MB specs and you do have voltage options. I would start upping the cpu voltage 1 increment at a time til its stable, i would also bump the memory voltage up 1 notch just for good measure.On the fsb/pci ratio, I would lock it @ 33/66 and leave it there.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

<b>WHOA DUDE</b>

Just did that to make sure I got your attention.

Obviously you're M/B was marketed in the earlier days of the Palomino because your switched multiplier only goes to 10.5x, which by 133Mhz FSB takes you to the rating of a XP1600+ which is 1400Mhz well actually 1396.5Mhz.

Heres what you need to do:

Step 1;
Check some M/B settings;
Some may be set right but if not change them to these settings;

Use your manual and find the PALO_FREQ jumper block;
Set (FID0,FID1,FID2,FID3) all to 1&2, this sets you up for the Palomino Core;

Offset at the base of PALO_FREQ is the THEMCPU jumper, set to 1&2.

Find the JEN jumper block, put the jumper on pins 2&3;
This activates Jumper Free Mode, which will allow BIOS setting of the CPU and Multiplier.

Find the CPU RATIO switchblock and the CYSCLK switchblock and set all the switches to OFF.

Step 2;
In the CMOS setup or BIOS setup, whatever your M/B calls it set the FSB to 133, Set the multiplier or ratio (whatever its called for your M/B)to 12x. (NOTE:If you don't show a 12x multiplier you'll have to flash the BIOS), Save the settings and reboot the machine.

It should auto-recognize the 1900+, and be running at 1600Mhz;
If it doesn't you will have to flash the BIOS to the latest BIOS version available from ASUS, Read their instructions carefully and follow them to the letter, also read the Flashing instructions in your manual itself, flash the BIOS to the newest one, after flashing find the Clear CMOS directions in the manual and clear the CMOS (On your M/B its listed as CLR_RTC jumper located at the CMOS M/B Battery) and reset the settings, you may want to write down the settings before you do the procedure, because clearing the CMOS will reset to factory shipping status, Load Setup Defaults will get you going.

If you have any problems or questions post them.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Lord_Arthur

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2001
NEAT !

thanx for all the help. I haven't had much time to do any testing the last couple of days, but I'll get on it as soon as I can.

Lord_Arthur

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2001
Umm questions about the voltage adjustment.. I've never actually changed the voltage on a system before… Mostly cause I don’t overclock… What exactly does it do? I mean I can understand that it would clean up the signals a bit… but doesn’t the increase in voltage decrees component life (in this case the processor)? Well, granted I’d rather risk it a little and have the extra 400 MHz.. but I don’t know the full effects and I’m curious…

<begin related tangent>
From a physical stand point it seems that increasing the voltage would increase the heat output right? Because….

Power (Watt) = voltage * amperage

and heat output is a percentage of power? Does that seem right? This isn’t really important I’m just curious….
<end related tangent>

From a physical stand point it seems that increasing the voltage would increase the heat output right?
Absolutely yes!

If you didn't know to change it in the beginning your CPU Vcore voltage should be set to default by factory specs and is not your problem, changing the CPU voltage does not change the Front Side Bus Frequency.

Until you get your system set right and stabilized, I would leave the CPU voltage set to default, that way your CPU will automatically set the voltage itself, later if you want to overclock ,you can play around with it, but first get everything properly set.

Chapter 3 (6 of your manual covers your Vcore settings

I suggest you find the (Voltage Regulator Output Jumper Block) and check to see if its set to the default setting and if not set VID1,VID2,VID3,VID4, all on jumper 2&3 which is the default setting.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.