Hello,

I am currently running windows 98 on a 7 year old dell dimension with a 400
celeron processor.

I just bought my wife a 20 gig i-pod and find that I need xp to run it.

Can I simply upgrade my OS to XP?

HELP!

thanks in advance for any help

It will cost you at least $100 to buy an upgrade Windows XP
CD (Home version) and very likely, some of the hardware in
the old computer will be inadequate to run XP. You may need
to but more RAM, possibly a bigger hard drive. Since you
can buy a new Dell for less than $400 with USB 2.0 which is
40 times faster than the USB 1.1 you may have now, and with
a new case, monitor, etc. spending money on a seven year old
400 MHz computer seems to be foolish.
The very least expensive new computer is so much better than
what you, and is likely to be less expensive too.
They have lots of Christmas deals now, but be careful to
read all the specs so you get what you want. Caution with
Dell, they are now selling printers and they are the only
source for ink refills.

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year

Pool-Boy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently running windows 98 on a 7 year old dell dimension with a 400
> celeron processor.
>
> I just bought my wife a 20 gig i-pod and find that I need xp to run it.
>
> Can I simply upgrade my OS to XP?
>
> HELP!
>
> thanks in advance for any help

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

papa

A 7-year old computer is usually not a very good candidate for XP. At 400
MHZ, your CPU is barely adequate. IMO you should also have at least 256 MB
of memory and a 20 GB or larger hard drive. In addition to that, some of
your device drivers may or may not be compatible with Windows XP, and some
of your apps may or may not be compatible either.

So before making the upgrade, and before investing any money, borrow
someone's XP disk. It contains a program that will analyze your existing
setup for Windows XP suitability and issue a report of any potential
problems.

"Pool-Boy" <Pool-Boy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am currently running windows 98 on a 7 year old dell dimension with a
> 400
> celeron processor.
>
> I just bought my wife a 20 gig i-pod and find that I need xp to run it.
>
> Can I simply upgrade my OS to XP?
>
> HELP!
>
> thanks in advance for any help

Due to the age of your computer etc, I don't believe you would successfully, but
that's my opinion only. Check out the below links for further information regarding
your question.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx
Windows XP Professional System Requirements

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx
Windows XP Upgrade Advisor

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpupgdissues.html
Win 98/Me/2000 to XP Upgrade Issues