windows98 upgrade to xp

Hello,

I am currently running windows 98 on a 7 year old dell dimension with a 400
celeron processor.

I just bought my wife a 20 gig i-pod and find that I need xp to run it.

Can I simply upgrade my OS to XP?

HELP!

thanks in advance for any help
4 answers Last reply
More about windows98 upgrade

    It will cost you at least $100 to buy an upgrade Windows XP
    CD (Home version) and very likely, some of the hardware in
    the old computer will be inadequate to run XP. You may need
    to but more RAM, possibly a bigger hard drive. Since you
    can buy a new Dell for less than $400 with USB 2.0 which is
    40 times faster than the USB 1.1 you may have now, and with
    a new case, monitor, etc. spending money on a seven year old
    400 MHz computer seems to be foolish.
    The very least expensive new computer is so much better than
    what you, and is likely to be less expensive too.
    They have lots of Christmas deals now, but be careful to
    read all the specs so you get what you want. Caution with
    Dell, they are now selling printers and they are the only
    source for ink refills.

    --
    Merry Christmas
    Have a Safe and Happy New Year

    Pool-Boy wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am currently running windows 98 on a 7 year old dell dimension with a 400
    > celeron processor.
    >
    > I just bought my wife a 20 gig i-pod and find that I need xp to run it.
    >
    > Can I simply upgrade my OS to XP?
    >
    > HELP!
    >
    > thanks in advance for any help

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    A 7-year old computer is usually not a very good candidate for XP. At 400
    MHZ, your CPU is barely adequate. IMO you should also have at least 256 MB
    of memory and a 20 GB or larger hard drive. In addition to that, some of
    your device drivers may or may not be compatible with Windows XP, and some
    of your apps may or may not be compatible either.

    So before making the upgrade, and before investing any money, borrow
    someone's XP disk. It contains a program that will analyze your existing
    setup for Windows XP suitability and issue a report of any potential
    problems.

    "Pool-Boy" <Pool-Boy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am currently running windows 98 on a 7 year old dell dimension with a
    > 400
    > celeron processor.
    >
    > I just bought my wife a 20 gig i-pod and find that I need xp to run it.
    >
    > Can I simply upgrade my OS to XP?
    >
    > HELP!
    >
    > thanks in advance for any help

    Due to the age of your computer etc, I don't believe you would successfully, but
    that's my opinion only. Check out the below links for further information regarding
    your question.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx
    Windows XP Professional System Requirements

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx
    Windows XP Upgrade Advisor

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpupgdissues.html
    Win 98/Me/2000 to XP Upgrade Issues

    "Pool-Boy" <Pool-Boy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am currently running windows 98 on a 7 year old dell dimension with a 400
    > celeron processor.
    >
    > I just bought my wife a 20 gig i-pod and find that I need xp to run it.
    >
    > Can I simply upgrade my OS to XP?
    >
    > HELP!
    >
    > thanks in advance for any help

Windows 98 Windows XP