Should gams with non-revocable installs be classified as rentals?

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
And I'm talking officially here, as in clearly marked "rental" on the packaging?

Last week I installed Alpha Centauri on a laptop I'll be using on business trips. I've installed this game off of the same CD probably over 30 times on at least 10 different PCs over the last 8-9 years.

Just the thought of having only 5 installs makes me really angry.

But call them "rentals" and price accordingly? I might be more tolerant of that.

It seems more honest.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Kind of a moot point since I don't see publishers sticking with the EA/Spore formula very long.
I'm not really a fan of a rental system either since "price accordingly" would most likely be taken to mean monthly fees like MMOs have.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I would rather they just not restrict the installs. It is stupid. Just put in a clause where they can ban for abuse and then define abuse as X number of installs over a period of X weeks. Say 5 installs per month or something. I could live with that.

The idea of not being able to install a game I paid full price for again some time down the road because the publisher is short sighted and greedy... that doesn't sit well with me.

If they called it a rental and priced it at 20 or 30 dollars, I'd be fine with it I suppose, but I would much rather they do away with this idiotic concept alltogether, it does nothing to stop piracy and hampers legitimate users rather notably.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
I'd be up for that, but I don't think it's ever going to happen.

Currently, I'm just voting with my dollars and not buying these full price 'rental' games.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

And here lies the core of the problem with this DRM. It forces otherwise legitimate customers to resort to the tools of pirates in order to use what they paid for. This in turn legitimized the very piracy that the DRM was designed to prevent and failed utterly to.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

I doubt the publishers don't know that. After all, an .exe with the 3 install limit is just as easy to crack as one without. They're probably intentionally limiting paid users' copies, so you'd have to buy a new one when the install limit runs out. :kaola: