Problems running XP upgrade

I have recently tried to upgrade from Windows ME to XP.
After several unsuccessful attempts to actually get it installed, I believed
I had managed, as XP loaded once (the upgrade CDROM was still in the drive,
and I now wonder whether it simply booted from that). Each time I attempt to
start the PC now, I get the message that windows needs to check the files,
for something to do with FAT32 (this is prior to windows loading). I allowed
this to run through - which took about 48 hours, and it told me that it had
repaired several files etc, then rebooted - and gave me exactly the same
message. If I cancel the check, the PC simply reboots again - and provides
the same message, and when I run the check (which now completes within a few
minutes), it again just reboots, so I can't actually get it to run windows.
I don't know whether it is linked, but I ran Scandisk in ME, as it prompted
me to each time I loaded, and this too took around 48 hours to complete. Is
this likely to be an error on the Hard Drive? I can however reinstall ME,
and it works perfectly now.
Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get over this problem?
3 answers Last reply
More about problems running upgrade

    A computer needs to be prepared properly for installation of
    a new operating system, whether it is an upgrade from 98/ME
    or an update to SP2.
    Some steps should be taken to prevent problems, such as
    removing some incompatible software, disabling anti-virus
    off or uninstalling it, removing some hardware and the
    drivers, such as printers, scanners so that the proper XP
    drivers will install when you complete the OS upgrade and
    reinstall the hardware.
    There are hardware and software compatibility checks. Start
    with
    this
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx
    read
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941
    and see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/default.mspx

    --
    Merry Christmas
    Have a Safe and Happy New Year

    "Aradia" <Aradia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |I have recently tried to upgrade from Windows ME to XP.
    | After several unsuccessful attempts to actually get it
    installed, I believed
    | I had managed, as XP loaded once (the upgrade CDROM was
    still in the drive,
    | and I now wonder whether it simply booted from that).
    Each time I attempt to
    | start the PC now, I get the message that windows needs to
    check the files,
    | for something to do with FAT32 (this is prior to windows
    | this to run through - which took about 48 hours, and it
    told me that it had
    | repaired several files etc, then rebooted - and gave me
    exactly the same
    | message. If I cancel the check, the PC simply reboots
    again - and provides
    | the same message, and when I run the check (which now
    completes within a few
    | minutes), it again just reboots, so I can't actually get
    it to run windows.
    | I don't know whether it is linked, but I ran Scandisk in
    ME, as it prompted
    | me to each time I loaded, and this too took around 48
    hours to complete. Is
    | this likely to be an error on the Hard Drive? I can
    however reinstall ME,
    | and it works perfectly now.
    | Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get over
    this problem?

    Aradia <Aradia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have recently tried to upgrade from Windows ME to XP.
    >After several unsuccessful attempts to actually get it installed, I believed
    >I had managed, as XP loaded once (the upgrade CDROM was still in the drive,
    >and I now wonder whether it simply booted from that). Each time I attempt to
    >start the PC now, I get the message that windows needs to check the files,
    >for something to do with FAT32 (this is prior to windows loading). I allowed
    >this to run through - which took about 48 hours, and it told me that it had
    >repaired several files etc, then rebooted - and gave me exactly the same
    >message. If I cancel the check, the PC simply reboots again - and provides
    >the same message, and when I run the check (which now completes within a few
    >minutes), it again just reboots, so I can't actually get it to run windows.
    >I don't know whether it is linked, but I ran Scandisk in ME, as it prompted
    >me to each time I loaded, and this too took around 48 hours to complete. Is
    >this likely to be an error on the Hard Drive? I can however reinstall ME,
    >and it works perfectly now.
    >Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get over this problem?

    See former MVP Gary Woodruff's article on upgrading to XP at
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    Do you need to upgrade your existing WindowsMe installation to
    preserve installed applications etc? If not then it is possible to
    do a clean install of XP using the Upgrade disk and then reinstall
    your application programs and restore your data files from backups.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    How to troubleshoot problems during installation when you upgrade from
    Windows 98
    or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    HTH,

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Aradia" <Aradia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have recently tried to upgrade from Windows ME to XP.
    > After several unsuccessful attempts to actually get it installed, I
    believed
    > I had managed, as XP loaded once (the upgrade CDROM was still in the
    drive,
    > and I now wonder whether it simply booted from that). Each time I attempt
    > start the PC now, I get the message that windows needs to check the files,
    > for something to do with FAT32 (this is prior to windows loading). I
    allowed
    > this to run through - which took about 48 hours, and it told me that it
    had
    > repaired several files etc, then rebooted - and gave me exactly the same
    > message. If I cancel the check, the PC simply reboots again - and
    provides
    > the same message, and when I run the check (which now completes within a
    few
    > minutes), it again just reboots, so I can't actually get it to run
    windows.
    > I don't know whether it is linked, but I ran Scandisk in ME, as it
    prompted
    > me to each time I loaded, and this too took around 48 hours to complete.
    Is
    > this likely to be an error on the Hard Drive? I can however reinstall ME,
    > and it works perfectly now.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get over this problem?

Microsoft Windows XP