Problems running XP upgrade

I have recently tried to upgrade from Windows ME to XP.
After several unsuccessful attempts to actually get it installed, I believed
I had managed, as XP loaded once (the upgrade CDROM was still in the drive,
and I now wonder whether it simply booted from that). Each time I attempt to
start the PC now, I get the message that windows needs to check the files,
for something to do with FAT32 (this is prior to windows loading). I allowed
this to run through - which took about 48 hours, and it told me that it had
repaired several files etc, then rebooted - and gave me exactly the same
message. If I cancel the check, the PC simply reboots again - and provides
the same message, and when I run the check (which now completes within a few
minutes), it again just reboots, so I can't actually get it to run windows.
I don't know whether it is linked, but I ran Scandisk in ME, as it prompted
me to each time I loaded, and this too took around 48 hours to complete. Is
this likely to be an error on the Hard Drive? I can however reinstall ME,
and it works perfectly now.
Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get over this problem?

A computer needs to be prepared properly for installation of
a new operating system, whether it is an upgrade from 98/ME
or an update to SP2.
Some steps should be taken to prevent problems, such as
removing some incompatible software, disabling anti-virus
off or uninstalling it, removing some hardware and the
drivers, such as printers, scanners so that the proper XP
drivers will install when you complete the OS upgrade and
reinstall the hardware.
There are hardware and software compatibility checks. Start
with
this
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx
read
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941
and see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/default.mspx

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year

"Aradia" <Aradia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have recently tried to upgrade from Windows ME to XP.
| After several unsuccessful attempts to actually get it
installed, I believed
| I had managed, as XP loaded once (the upgrade CDROM was
still in the drive,
| and I now wonder whether it simply booted from that).
Each time I attempt to
| start the PC now, I get the message that windows needs to
check the files,
| for something to do with FAT32 (this is prior to windows
| this to run through - which took about 48 hours, and it
told me that it had
| repaired several files etc, then rebooted - and gave me
exactly the same
| message. If I cancel the check, the PC simply reboots
again - and provides
| the same message, and when I run the check (which now
completes within a few
| minutes), it again just reboots, so I can't actually get
it to run windows.
| I don't know whether it is linked, but I ran Scandisk in
ME, as it prompted
| me to each time I loaded, and this too took around 48
hours to complete. Is
| this likely to be an error on the Hard Drive? I can
however reinstall ME,
| and it works perfectly now.
| Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get over
this problem?

Aradia <Aradia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have recently tried to upgrade from Windows ME to XP.
>After several unsuccessful attempts to actually get it installed, I believed
>I had managed, as XP loaded once (the upgrade CDROM was still in the drive,
>and I now wonder whether it simply booted from that). Each time I attempt to
>start the PC now, I get the message that windows needs to check the files,
>for something to do with FAT32 (this is prior to windows loading). I allowed
>this to run through - which took about 48 hours, and it told me that it had
>repaired several files etc, then rebooted - and gave me exactly the same
>message. If I cancel the check, the PC simply reboots again - and provides
>the same message, and when I run the check (which now completes within a few
>minutes), it again just reboots, so I can't actually get it to run windows.
>I don't know whether it is linked, but I ran Scandisk in ME, as it prompted
>me to each time I loaded, and this too took around 48 hours to complete. Is
>this likely to be an error on the Hard Drive? I can however reinstall ME,
>and it works perfectly now.
>Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get over this problem?

See former MVP Gary Woodruff's article on upgrading to XP at
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

Do you need to upgrade your existing WindowsMe installation to
preserve installed applications etc? If not then it is possible to
do a clean install of XP using the Upgrade disk and then reinstall
your application programs and restore your data files from backups.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

How to troubleshoot problems during installation when you upgrade from
Windows 98
or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--