WPA/PSK: need to REPAIR to connect to inet

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I am having a problem with wireless internet connectivity using Windows
XP Pro SP2 (the same problem existed for me with SP1.. was hoping SP2 would
fix it, but no such luck).

Every odd time I boot my Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop (on average ~1/3 the
time), I cannot bring up web pages - explorer just times out while saying,
ex. www.microsoft.com... for several seconds followed by a DNS error. I am
using a 802.11g Dell Truemobile 1450 card, Win XP SP2, and a D-Link DI-624
router with cablemodem. I have DHCP DISabled on the router, and instead use
a static IP config. When the web pages are timing out, everything LOOKS
GOOD from a network/IP perspective. I.E. the laptop ALWAYS shows
"connected" for the wireless connection (with excellent signal strength),
windows correctly displays "Connected: WPA enabled wireless network",
WPA/PSK is setup on the router with the same passphrase used on both
systems, and I have assigned permission for the laptop's IP address/MAC on
the router. If I do a "IPCONFIG.EXE /ALL" or right-click "STATUS" on the
laptop's network in system tray, everything is assigned and registering
properly (ex. IP, gateway, subnet, DNS) even while every web page times
out!!

If I right click the wireless icon in system tray, and select REPAIR, most
of the time it cycles thru its stuff , and I can then access the internet
and everything works perfectly. About 10% of the time even a REPAIR will
not get the internet up and running, and I am forced to reboot to make
things work. When things do work, the wireless STATUS info lists the exact
same parametwers (IP, gateaway... etc) as listed when things AREN'T working.

If I change the router's/XP's encryption to WEP or SHARED KEY, everything
works perfect and I never have this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions why WPA is being so troublesome?

Thanks!!!!

Lance

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I'm not sure if it's WPA, I had the same problem with my wife's computer
using WEP on XP SP2.

I have a shotgun approach that usually works, though I'm sure network
experts will cringe.

1. Download latest drivers/firmware/BIOS from Dell (use your Service Tag
# and Dell finds all the latest drivers/etc for you).

2. Save/write down any special NIC configuration you may changed.

3. Uninstall then reinstall network card using the Device Manager.
Update drivers/etc if required. Setup the WPA again.

4. See if things work OK, if not then continue

5. This step will screw up my Cisco VPN client requiring an
uninstall/reinstall (which is another adventure). Maybe there's some
netowrk software on your machine that will also require this. This MS KB
article will repair WinSock2 corruption and reset your TCP/IP stack. Use
the section "How to Recover from Winsock2 corruption."

How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811259&Product=winxp>

Lance
*****

Sabian Smith thought carefully and wrote on 8/26/2004 9:13 PM:

> I am having a problem with wireless internet connectivity using Windows
> XP Pro SP2 (the same problem existed for me with SP1.. was hoping SP2 would
> fix it, but no such luck).
>
> Every odd time I boot my Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop (on average ~1/3 the
> time), I cannot bring up web pages - explorer just times out while saying,
> ex. www.microsoft.com... for several seconds followed by a DNS error. I am
> using a 802.11g Dell Truemobile 1450 card, Win XP SP2, and a D-Link DI-624
> router with cablemodem. I have DHCP DISabled on the router, and instead use
> a static IP config. When the web pages are timing out, everything LOOKS
> GOOD from a network/IP perspective. I.E. the laptop ALWAYS shows
> "connected" for the wireless connection (with excellent signal strength),
> windows correctly displays "Connected: WPA enabled wireless network",
> WPA/PSK is setup on the router with the same passphrase used on both
> systems, and I have assigned permission for the laptop's IP address/MAC on
> the router. If I do a "IPCONFIG.EXE /ALL" or right-click "STATUS" on the
> laptop's network in system tray, everything is assigned and registering
> properly (ex. IP, gateway, subnet, DNS) even while every web page times
> out!!
>
> If I right click the wireless icon in system tray, and select REPAIR, most
> of the time it cycles thru its stuff , and I can then access the internet
> and everything works perfectly. About 10% of the time even a REPAIR will
> not get the internet up and running, and I am forced to reboot to make
> things work. When things do work, the wireless STATUS info lists the exact
> same parametwers (IP, gateaway... etc) as listed when things AREN'T working.
>
> If I change the router's/XP's encryption to WEP or SHARED KEY, everything
> works perfect and I never have this problem.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions why WPA is being so troublesome?
>

> Thanks!!!!

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Taking a moment's reflection, Sabian Smith mused:

| I am having a problem with wireless internet connectivity using Windows
| XP Pro SP2 (the same problem existed for me with SP1.. was hoping SP2
| would fix it, but no such luck).

If you enable SSID Broadcasting, does it work as expected?

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

When I upgraded to Xp SP2, I actually formatted my HD and reinstalled
windows fresh. And I installed the latest dell network drivers. So I do not
believe anything should be corrupt, although I will try what you suggested.
SSID broadcast was mentioned - I actually have this ON.

"Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>> internet and everything works perfectly. About 10% of the time even a
>> REPAIR will not get the internet up and running, and I am forced to
>> reboot to make things work. When things do work, the wireless STATUS info
>> lists the exact same parametwers (IP, gateaway... etc) as listed when
>> things AREN'T working.
>>
>> If I change the router's/XP's encryption to WEP or SHARED KEY,
>> everything works perfect and I never have this problem.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions why WPA is being so troublesome?
>>

>> Thanks!!!!

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Taking a moment's reflection, Sabian Smith mused:

| I am having a problem with wireless internet connectivity using Windows
| XP Pro SP2 (the same problem existed for me with SP1.. was hoping SP2

Are you using the Wireless Zero Configuration utility, or some other
connectivity software? Do you get the same behaviour with both?

ZAC

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue in my setup (below),
irregardless of Static/DHCP. As far as I can tell, it's related to
WPA since the problem goes away if WEP is used instead. Anyone? The
repair rarely works. Oddly, rebooting might (3/5 times?).

Wireless Client: Broadcom 802.11g (belkin fd7000 PCI)
Client Box: WinXP SP2 on a generic P4/2.0/512
Router: Dell 2300 802.11g (Soon to go - Miracle if it stays up for
more then a day, even with latest firmware. This is a different issue
though -- the Dell can't handle more then 1 or 2 port forwards
reliably).

Thanks -Z