Sign in with
Your question

Left 4 Dead Demo Tomorrow for Pre-orders

Last response: in Video Games
November 5, 2008 10:31:19 PM

Quote:
Left 4 Dead early access demo begins Thursday, November 6th at 7AM PST on the PC and 2AM PST on the Xbox 360, from a press release:

November 5, 2008 - Early access to the Left 4 Dead demo begins Thursday, November 6 on both the PC and Xbox 360. The early demo access is scheduled to begin around 2 am PST on the Xbox 360 and 7 am PST on the PC.

This promotion is being offered in addition to the 10% savings for those who pre-order and applies to all Steam PC pre-orders and all PC and Xbox 360 pre-orders from GameStop and EB Games in North America.

On November 11 the demo will be made available to all PC and Xbox 360 gamers worldwide, with no obligation to purchase. The demo concludes on November 18, when Left 4 Dead will be made available at retail outlets across North America and worldwide via Steam.

For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com

The last time I was excited for a game like this I was in high school waiting for the next final fantasy title.
November 6, 2008 12:56:16 AM

Yup I got my code in an e-mail a little while ago and plan to start downloading at 9am tomorrow...which is when I leave for class ironically enough.

Best,

3Ball
November 6, 2008 12:57:32 AM

Tell us how it is. I watched the opening movie they had on steam today, and that looked really good. Still trying to same some money, so I don't want to jump the gun and be stuck with a game I end up not liking.
Related resources
November 6, 2008 3:36:09 AM

Well public demo is out on the 11th anyways. Just wait till then.
November 6, 2008 5:06:18 AM

No worries, I will let ya know what I think. On another note...if anyone has a PS3. Resistance 2 was quite impressive. It beat all of my expectations. Hopefully L4D will do the same.

Best,

3Ball
November 6, 2008 10:47:48 AM

I wish the computer that I was using was mine, the trailer is making me hyped for it.
November 6, 2008 7:00:09 PM

3Ball do you think you can post some youtube vids for us on high quality so we can take a look?

I'm still thinking if I should get this game or not and I want it cheaper so if it is, I'll buy before pre-order period ends.
November 6, 2008 11:12:24 PM

Absolutely epic. Especially on the harder difficulties, this game DEFINITELY delivered, despite all the massive amounts of hype that surrounded it. The only bad thing (that valve is ironing out) is that server browsing has to be properly implemented (Valve launched the demo with only matchmaking, but later today they released the traditional server browser).

I can't make some vids/pics atm, because I'm busy, but if by tomorrow you guys don't have enough material, I'll be sure to drop a few timedemos/pics.

EDIT: After Valve fixes the connection issues and people get some stable dedicated servers for this game, I definitely think this is GOTY 2008, even above Fallout 3.
November 7, 2008 12:03:54 AM

This is one of the best games i have every played. I recommend this game for anyone who like fast pace action!
November 7, 2008 1:19:01 AM

I just went and recorded a quick run through of about 7 min or so. Its nuthin special, but once it finishes compiling I will upload it to youtube and link it when I get back to my apt. I have all the settings maxed in the vid with res of 1680x1050 @ 4x AA, but the youtube quality doesnt do it to much justice. Alas, it is better than nuthin. Faps lowered my FPS to around 30, but in the game without fraps I play well into the hundreds (its the source engine...so yea!).

Best,

3Ball
November 7, 2008 2:25:21 AM

Here ya go guys. This shows a quick run through of the first part of one of the maps. I dont think it is possible to "waste" money on this game. It is a very good game and I am not a big zombie shooter fan. Its just fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFBDX0S4WO8

Best,

3Ball
November 7, 2008 5:02:17 AM

Let me just remind you. The difference between advanced and expert is WORLDS apart. When you beat subway on expert theres a great sense of satisfaction. It was really intense.
November 7, 2008 5:20:28 AM

squiZZ said:
Let me just remind you. The difference between advanced and expert is WORLDS apart. When you beat subway on expert theres a great sense of satisfaction. It was really intense.

We died once on both expert and advanced only because we were just being stupid. I would say that we beat Normal, Advanced and Expert in a total of about 1.5 hours or so (maybe less). I didnt get much more satisfaction from it than I did the others, but maybe we just got lucky.

Best,

3Ball
November 7, 2008 7:15:14 AM

I have beaten it twice on Advaced.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!

It is also the most I have seen my Q6600 work out of any game. About 50-60% unless there are massive hordes of zombies everywhere then it hits 70% across all 4 cores.

+10000000000 for VALVe. I have no doubt this game will be just amazing.
November 7, 2008 7:52:06 AM

I'm looking forward to this, gunna see if I can pre-order tonight. Need a nice polished game after Fail Cry 2.
November 9, 2008 1:55:09 AM

I haven't done any testing on the core usages yet but the game is absolutely smooth on C2D E8400 @ 4 ghz. I have all the graphics settings maxed out and at no point did I feel the slighest bit of lag.

I like to give a hand to valve for making a game that's very scalable and that even with maxed game settings it won't lag :) 

I was shocked by the amount of zombies that you actually get (I'm playing on advanced mode). I died once or twice because the hulk looking zombie is so friggin hard to kill.

It's more or less spray and pray so if you guys like loads of bullet unloading this is the perfect game you can't miss. I like the graphics a lot. I'm playing it on 1680x 1050. I haven't done any measurements on the fps but I'm very happy with the results considering I have AA x 16, MSAA x8, all settings turned to max.

I could tell valve has spent a lot of time into the details of the game from banners on the walls to the fire effects.

I think in order to get a realistic feel for the game you should play on advanced mode or higher.
November 11, 2008 7:55:30 PM

Its suppost to be available to all today.
November 11, 2008 11:05:37 PM

We'll see how lowly my e6750 @ stock does with the game in about an hour. I have high hopes though, I'm pretty sure my 4870 will be adequate.

November 12, 2008 10:56:44 AM

Played it last night for a couple hours, hell yeah! Getting this Tuesday even if I can't afford it lol.
November 14, 2008 8:23:12 PM

This game is FUN, FUN, FUN! A must have for coop mindless zombie(oxymoron?) killing goodness! Its nice when a game company can actually deliver the goods. It is valve so their track record speaks for themselves. Some how I don't think we will be hearing valve executives months from now crying about how pirates have contributed to low sales....cough :cry:  epic, ubisoft, crytek :cry:  .....cough........

Like everyone has said, if you make a great MULTIPLAYER ONLINE game , they will come.......................... :hello: 
November 19, 2008 10:26:51 AM

Only play this game on Expert level, its soo much fun and hard too! Cant wait til friday when europe gets the full release :) 
November 19, 2008 10:45:18 AM

San Pedro said:
We'll see how lowly my e6750 @ stock does with the game in about an hour. I have high hopes though, I'm pretty sure my 4870 will be adequate.

How'd it go?

Cant imagine any probs aside from perhaps some slowdown with a full screen?
!