Burning CDs

I have had a mixed result with burning files onto CD-R and CD-RW. Depending
on the
computer reading the CD either -

none of the files appear in the list of files

only some files appear in the list of files

all the files appear in the list of files

Can anyone tell me the reason for this and, more importantly, how to avoid
the problem?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway
5 answers Last reply
More about burning

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:00:38 GMT, Bill Ridgeway wrote:

    > I have had a mixed result with burning files onto CD-R and CD-RW. Depending
    > on the
    > computer reading the CD either -
    >
    > none of the files appear in the list of files
    >
    > only some files appear in the list of files
    >
    > all the files appear in the list of files
    >
    > Can anyone tell me the reason for this and, more importantly, how to avoid
    > the problem?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway

    It has to do with 1) what method was used to burn the CDs and 2) the
    capabilities of each drive.

    When using CDRW and packet writing software (InCD from Ahead or Drag to
    Disk from Roxio, for example), a special format is used so that the disks
    can be used for frequent writes and rewrites. Often, this type of disk is
    readable on only the system that created it or on a system that has the
    same software installed.

    You may find options in the burning software to "make CD readable on any
    computer." Answering yes, may bar you from changing the CDRWs contents
    without erasing the entire disk but it should be interchangeable with other
    drives and systems.

    When using CDR, multisessions are possible - multiple writes before closing
    the disk. Not all drives are capable of reading multisession disks. To
    resolve this, gather up all the files you want to copy. Burn and close the
    disk. It will then be usable on just about any system or drive. Once a CDR
    is closed, no further writes are possible.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:00:38 GMT, Bill Ridgeway wrote:

    > only some files appear in the list of files

    PS: Drives that have trouble reading multisession disks will only see some
    of the files.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Bill Ridgeway wrote:
    > I have had a mixed result with burning files onto CD-R and CD-RW

    With what program you of burning? I advise Nero Burning ROM, there is
    no problem with it!

    WBR, Tom Frisch
    HideIt! - The best wizard to hide secret files
    http://www.guard-software.com/

    And in some cases XP will not show files in subdirectories even though the
    originating program will.

    Check this Knowledge Base Article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320174

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have had a mixed result with burning files onto CD-R and CD-RW.
    >Depending on the
    > computer reading the CD either -
    >
    > none of the files appear in the list of files
    >
    > only some files appear in the list of files
    >
    > all the files appear in the list of files
    >
    > Can anyone tell me the reason for this and, more importantly, how to avoid
    > the problem?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway

Burner CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP