Can I replace my notebook motherboard myself?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

I have an HP notebook that, like several others I've read about in the
HP support forums, stopped working just a few months after the
warranty expired. I followed the HP tech's advice and removed the
memory and disk drive. When I turn it on, the fan comes on and the
lights light up, so I know the power suppy is working. But there is
no beeping, which according to the tech support, means it's either the
CPU or motherboard. I took the thing apart looking for lose wires and
connections but found nothing. I've checked repair prices and it can
be quite expensive to have this replaced. So I'm wondering if I can
do it myself? Replacing the CPU should be easy, but I have no idea if
it's easy to replace the motherboard. Also I'm not sure how to tell
for sure if it's the motherboard or CPU. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

I only paid $850 for it after rebates, and now it's a year and a half
old. so I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix it. I'm not even
sure it's worth it at all.

Thanks,
Michael

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Michael,

Cut your losses. Replace your HP notebook with a better brand. Try IBM or Dell
this time around... Ben Myers

On 27 Jul 2004 04:16:56 -0700, newsbirdie@hotmail.com (NewsBirdie) wrote:

>I have an HP notebook that, like several others I've read about in the
>HP support forums, stopped working just a few months after the
>warranty expired. I followed the HP tech's advice and removed the
>memory and disk drive. When I turn it on, the fan comes on and the
>lights light up, so I know the power suppy is working. But there is
>no beeping, which according to the tech support, means it's either the
>CPU or motherboard. I took the thing apart looking for lose wires and
>connections but found nothing. I've checked repair prices and it can
>be quite expensive to have this replaced. So I'm wondering if I can
>do it myself? Replacing the CPU should be easy, but I have no idea if
>it's easy to replace the motherboard. Also I'm not sure how to tell
>for sure if it's the motherboard or CPU. Any ideas would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>I only paid $850 for it after rebates, and now it's a year and a half
>old. so I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix it. I'm not even
>sure it's worth it at all.
>
>Thanks,
>Michael

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

> Cut your losses. Replace your HP notebook with a better brand. Try IBM or Dell
> this time around... Ben Myers

I'm now trying to figure out how I can test the processor (Athlon). I
checked a few places and an HP motherboard is $400. So if it's the
CPU I can replace it myself, if it's the motherboard I'll put it on
ebay for spare parts. In any case, I'll never buy a HP/Compaq
notebook again. I'll be spreading the word. We use Dell at work and
they seem to be very solid. Next time I will buy a Dell.

> Michael,
>
> Cut your losses. Replace your HP notebook with a better brand. Try IBM
or Dell
> this time around... Ben Myers
>
> On 27 Jul 2004 04:16:56 -0700, newsbirdie@hotmail.com (NewsBirdie) wrote:
>
> >I have an HP notebook that, like several others I've read about in the
> >HP support forums, stopped working just a few months after the
> >warranty expired. I followed the HP tech's advice and removed the
> >memory and disk drive. When I turn it on, the fan comes on and the
> >lights light up, so I know the power suppy is working. But there is
> >no beeping, which according to the tech support, means it's either the
> >CPU or motherboard. I took the thing apart looking for lose wires and
> >connections but found nothing. I've checked repair prices and it can
> >be quite expensive to have this replaced. So I'm wondering if I can
> >do it myself? Replacing the CPU should be easy, but I have no idea if
> >it's easy to replace the motherboard. Also I'm not sure how to tell
> >for sure if it's the motherboard or CPU. Any ideas would be greatly
> >appreciated.
> >
> >I only paid $850 for it after rebates, and now it's a year and a half
> >old. so I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix it. I'm not even
> >sure it's worth it at all.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Michael

Or try Toshiba.....

Jase

In comp.sys.laptops NewsBirdie <newsbirdie@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have an HP notebook that, like several others I've read about in the
> HP support forums, stopped working just a few months after the
<snip>
> I only paid $850 for it after rebates, and now it's a year and a half
> old. so I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix it. I'm not even
> sure it's worth it at all.

Ebay for one with a dead screen.
Sell on keyboard/drives/plastics/...

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"NewsBirdie" <newsbirdie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Cut your losses. Replace your HP notebook with a better brand. Try IBM
or Dell
> > this time around... Ben Myers
>
> I'm now trying to figure out how I can test the processor (Athlon). I
> checked a few places and an HP motherboard is $400. So if it's the
> CPU I can replace it myself, if it's the motherboard I'll put it on
> ebay for spare parts. In any case, I'll never buy a HP/Compaq
> notebook again. I'll be spreading the word. We use Dell at work and
> they seem to be very solid. Next time I will buy a Dell.

You will always find a problem with any brand. We used to use Dell at work
and had so many problems with the Dell desktop and notebooks that we will
never go back to Dell. Also the service we got from dell was laughable.
I'm not recommending any one brand in particular because some one will be
able to come back with the lousy experience they had with that company.
There will always be some one that has bad luck with any company.

hey try this put it back together and try this if will start -up at all as soon as you hit the power switch hold fln and f11 till it it beeps and reboots i have a compaq laptop (hp samething i hear) and thing screw up on me and i tried that and it work it make be it s that. mine wouldn't get passed the start-up screen till i did that it would just go to the dianostics screen

HELPFULSERVANTOFTHELORD :hello: its moshu aka gurt