testing PCI slots

bangzula

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
Anybody know how to test to see if the PCI slots are okay on the motherboard.

My main problem is that I'm getting a lot of packet losses. I replaced my Network Card but problem still persist a few weeks later. I was wondering if my pci slot is bad.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
it could also be your connection or a bunch of other things.
what type of isp?

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

bangzula

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
My connection with with Comcast using an RCA cable modem. The Comcast technician has come to check the line multiple times. Each time he determine it to be related to the network card. I was getting a good connection for about 3 weeks until today with the new network card.
I just tried to move the network card to a different PCI slot. It seemed to work a little better but then started showing the same symptoms again.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
have u tried any cable connection testers? Look for a site on the net that will analyze your connection and its properties. A good example (for dsl mind you) is DSLReports.com

Also, can u borrow or get a laptop or something convenient and set up the connection on it and see how it performs?

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Put your old network card back in and see if the problem clears up...

Sounds like you've got a bad network card.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>