Floppy and Flash Drive No Longer Work

I'm encountering a strange problem I can't seem to solve on my own. Starting
today, I can't display files on my floppy drive or SanDisk Cruzer Mini USB
Flash Drive. Both drives appear normally in My Computer. Both also appear in
Device Manager where they are shown to be "working normally" but I can't
open the drives to display the files or copy files to the drives. Each time
I try to do so, I see the error message "Please insert a disk into Drive A:
(or Drive F:)".

Because I'm encountering problems on both drives simultaneously, I suspect
the problem is somewhere in Windows rather than on the drives themselves. I
tried "uninstalling" the floppy drive in Device Manager, rebooting and
watching Windows XP reinstall it but the problem remained.

I am using Windows XP Home SP2. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thank you.

Nick Cellino

Hi,

check for your connections in the motherboard to these devices...
Probably some cable in the hardware is loose.

Balaji R

"Nick Cellino" wrote:

> I'm encountering a strange problem I can't seem to solve on my own. Starting
> today, I can't display files on my floppy drive or SanDisk Cruzer Mini USB
> Flash Drive. Both drives appear normally in My Computer. Both also appear in
> Device Manager where they are shown to be "working normally" but I can't
> open the drives to display the files or copy files to the drives. Each time
> I try to do so, I see the error message "Please insert a disk into Drive A:
> (or Drive F:)".
>
> Because I'm encountering problems on both drives simultaneously, I suspect
> the problem is somewhere in Windows rather than on the drives themselves. I
> tried "uninstalling" the floppy drive in Device Manager, rebooting and
> watching Windows XP reinstall it but the problem remained.
>
> I am using Windows XP Home SP2. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thank you.
>
> Nick Cellino

Hi, Nick.

Many of the things that we used to do with Device Manager and other tools in
earlier versions of Windows are now handled by Disk Management. One way to
get to Disk Management is to enter at the Run prompt: diskmgmt.msc

Both My Computer and Device Manager still have some useful functions, but
only Disk Management can handle some jobs, such as creating or deleting
partitions, formatting them and changing their drive letters. In Disk
Management, maximize the window, then click View to customize it to suit
yourself. I like to see the Volume List at the top and the Graphical View
on the bottom. Disk Management does not handle the floppy drives, but you
should see your HDDs, CD/DVDs and your flash drive there. It even shows my
SanDisk SD card reader. The Help file here explains much more than previous
versions.

Some USB devices require their own drivers to be installed. Also, if a USB
device is plugged into a different port than last time, it might need to be
re-detected. It might now be Drive X: instead of F:. If you right-click on
the drive in Disk Management and then click Properties, you can change some
settings, such as whether to Optimize for quick removal or to Optimize for
performance.

Maybe none of these ideas apply to your problem, but Disk Management is a
tool that every WinXP user should get to know.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Nick Cellino" <mechanic123@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I'm encountering a strange problem I can't seem to solve on my own.
> Starting today, I can't display files on my floppy drive or SanDisk Cruzer
> Mini USB Flash Drive. Both drives appear normally in My Computer. Both
> also appear in Device Manager where they are shown to be "working
> normally" but I can't open the drives to display the files or copy files
> to the drives. Each time I try to do so, I see the error message "Please
> insert a disk into Drive A: (or Drive F:)".
>
> Because I'm encountering problems on both drives simultaneously, I suspect
> the problem is somewhere in Windows rather than on the drives themselves.
> I tried "uninstalling" the floppy drive in Device Manager, rebooting and
> watching Windows XP reinstall it but the problem remained.
>
> I am using Windows XP Home SP2. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thank
> you.
>
> Nick Cellino

I checked the connections which are normal. Here's one additional clue. The
floppy drive does not appear on the information screen that appears at
startup.

Nick
"convertor00" <convertor00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> check for your connections in the motherboard to these devices...
> Probably some cable in the hardware is loose.
>
> Balaji R
>
> "Nick Cellino" wrote:
>
>> I'm encountering a strange problem I can't seem to solve on my own.
>> Starting
>> today, I can't display files on my floppy drive or SanDisk Cruzer Mini
>> USB
>> Flash Drive. Both drives appear normally in My Computer. Both also appear
>> in
>> Device Manager where they are shown to be "working normally" but I can't
>> open the drives to display the files or copy files to the drives. Each
>> time
>> I try to do so, I see the error message "Please insert a disk into Drive
>> (or Drive F:)".
>>
>> Because I'm encountering problems on both drives simultaneously, I
>> suspect
>> the problem is somewhere in Windows rather than on the drives themselves.
>> tried "uninstalling" the floppy drive in Device Manager, rebooting and
>> watching Windows XP reinstall it but the problem remained.
>>
>> I am using Windows XP Home SP2. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thank
>> you.
>>
>> Nick Cellino

TRENDING THREADS