1. Which motherboard? Gigabyte suggestions only, please. I am interested in overclocking.
Do the more expensive motherboards offer my build any advantage, overclocking or otherwise? OTherwise I'll just go with the cheapest, considering combo deals.
Will the USB 3.0 or Sata 3.0 matter at all for my build?
2. Which RAM? G.skill only, please. I'd like to OC. With an i5/nehalem system, does a faster CPU mean worse RAM timings, and if so, does it make up for worse RAM timings?
If so, I would like as much OC as possible on air cooling. How fast speed should I get? How will I know if the RAM is plug and play? I don't really wanna pay more than about $130 for RAM.
Can I still get a fast CPU speed with 1333 or 1600 RAM? Even if all these RAMs recommend 2t command rate, will they all, especially the more expensive ones, be able to get a 1t command rate?
3. Will I have any problems trying to install windows Xp 32 bit with my build? For example, I do not think these mobos have a connection for a floppy drive.
Will I need a floppy with SATA drivers to install XP onto a SATA drive? Would I have to use an external floppy?
4. Are RAM sticks like this with slightly names manufactured exactly the same, except the higher model ones tested better?
e.g. F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO, F3-10666CL8D-4GBECO, F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO. What does the first F in g.skill's ram models stand for?
5. Is the newer SSD worth waiting like a week+ for? Does anyone know any specific differences between SSDSA2MH080G2C1 / SSDSA2MH080G2R5 and the newer SSDSA2M080G2GC / SSDSA2M080G2GN?
6. Which video card and heatsink/fan should I get?
7. To any overclockers out there, how often does your computer crash? Does firefox crash more with an unstable OC? And is it possible to get a high OC and never fail prime95?
8. If I want to upgrade an LGA 775 build to 1156, could I just format x25m SSD HD(after plugging it into another computer),
swap in a mobo and cpu, and reinstall Windows? Would I run into any problems?
9. Has anyone here ever used a RAMdisk to make use of more than 4 gigs of RAM on a 32 bit OS?
Anyone know a good place to look for info about that?
10. Does anyone have any links to sites that show windows xp significantly beating windows 7 in benchmarks?
11. Is 1 stick of 4 gigs more likely to fail than 2 sticks of 2gb?
12. I'm thinking about a getting a laptop for word processing. Is a $400 new laptop off newegg worth spending more on than a $100-200 dollar one off of ebay?
13. Should I look into getting parts from any other website besides newegg? I live in the US.
14. Anyone here ever gotten recertified or open box stuff off newegg? Anyone ever gotten new PC parts off ebay?
15. I heard Intel makes makes all the CPUs the same, then makes them worse for lower models. Why do they do that?
16. If you got a gigabyte board, and RAM slots 1 and 3 didnt work, and a lot of people were complaining about that problem, but RAM slots 2 and 4 did, and it overclocked stable, would you return/refund the board or just keep it?
I suggest moving this thread to the New Build forum instead of classifieds as you are not selling or wanting to buy anything from individual buyers. Also, Try asking each of those questions separately in their appropriate forums, you'll get a much better response.
This forum doesn't sell anything, so there aren't any price comparisions. The Classified section is basically a specialized Craiglist for parts. Most of the stuff posted here is actually links to eBay.
That said, Newegg is the best source for new parts, period. No one else can compete with their prices (counting combos), selection, easy of searching and information. I rarely find something on other sites (Amazon, TigerDriect, ZipZoomFly, etc.) that's cheaper or that Newegg doesn't have (not counting out of stock items). As for eBay, I'm not sure I trust the people on there enough to spend some real money on hardware there.