ATTACHED BY ADS

xp pro sp2 ie6--spent last several nights trying to get rid of
(winserver,optimizer,wsem dll and others. these ads installed themselves
through ie into ie browser add on, control panel and registry. how do i stop
this? how do i know if i got rid of all of them?
--
corn
11 answers Last reply

    cornfused wrote:
    > also,while attempting to remove ads i can no longer click on ie and
    > get on the internet. i have to go to connect to then my isp. like i
    > lost a link between ie and my isp how do i recover?

    Clean up first, worry about fixing the dial-up settings link later..

    You can make your dial-up access automatically dial when you attempt to
    access the Internet..

    To have your computer automatically dial the modem whenever an application
    (Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, etc.) needs a network connection, go to
    the Internet Options control panel. (Start menu->Control Panel. Switch to
    Classic view, double-click Internet Options).
    Once you have the Internet Options control panel open, click the Connections
    tab. Choose Dial whenever a network connection is not present. Select one of
    your Dial-up sessions and click the Set Default button. Your computer will
    now dial the modem automatically when you try to use an application that
    requires it.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Hi

    Please try these programs to check for any spyware that may be on your
    system:

    Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
    CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

    Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

    Also see the following links:

    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    cornfused wrote:
    > xp pro sp2 ie6--spent last several nights trying to get rid of
    > (winserver,optimizer,wsem dll and others. these ads installed themselves
    > through ie into ie browser add on, control panel and registry. how do i stop
    > this? how do i know if i got rid of all of them?

    To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
    "spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Smiley Central, Xupiter,
    Bonzai Buddy, or KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately
    (but without understanding the consequences) installed, two products
    that are quite effective (at finding and removing this type of
    scumware) are Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search &
    Destroy from www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions.
    It's even possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your
    system against most future intrusions. I use both and generally
    perform manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

    Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
    varieties of scumware are available here:

    PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
    http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

    Neither adware nor spyware, collectively known as scumware,
    magically install themselves on anyone's computer. They are almost
    always deliberately installed by the computer's user, as part of some
    allegedly "free" service or product.

    While there are some unscrupulous malware distributors out there,
    who do attempt to install and exploit malware without consent, the
    majority of them simply rely upon the intellectual laziness and
    gullibility of the average consumer, counting on them to quickly click
    past the EULA in his/her haste to get the latest in "free" cutesy
    cursors, screensavers, "utilities," and/or wallpapers.

    If you were to read the EULAs that accompany, and to which the
    computer user must agree before the download/installation of the
    "screensaver" continues, most adware and spyware, you'll find that
    they _do_ have the consumer's permission to do exactly what they're
    doing. In the overwhelming majority of cases, computer users have no
    one to blame but themselves.

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
    to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
    have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

    Home PC Firewall Guide
    http://www.firewallguide.com/

    Scumware.com
    http://www.scumware.com/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    i have sp2, firewall on,popup blocker on, security custom ( on win me would
    have been considered high), searching for camcorder info and i get a popup at
    whatever site i clicked on--no bigggee--i right clicked to close the popup
    and thats when all this junk got installed. its from some group in neveda it
    takes over ie installs a plugin on the browser installs several programs
    listed in control panel ,installs many files, installs entries in the
    registry. i finally had to reboot in safe mode and search and delete what i
    could find. i have since and am in process of trying to use advise givin
    here. as to my updates the belarc site mentioned gave me all green checks, i
    also delete temporary ie files every day or two and clean my hard disk at
    least once a week, i did not have my user account password protected. by the
    way iam not cleared up yet, but thanks for the help.

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> [...]
    > have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    > claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    > no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    > inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    > too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    > in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    > they're about to click.
    >
    > Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    > and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    > but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    > user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    > every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.
    >

    > To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    well, thanks to you people i got rid whatever. i can connect using ie again,
    thanks

    "cornfused" wrote:

    > xp pro sp2 ie6--spent last several nights trying to get rid of
    > (winserver,optimizer,wsem dll and others. these ads installed themselves
    > through ie into ie browser add on, control panel and registry. how do i stop
    > this? how do i know if i got rid of all of them?
    > --
    > corn

    To help mitigate against further infestations of parasitic malware,
    download and install Spyware Blaster :

    Read the FAQ'S to learn how to enable it's protection, take a system
    snapshot when the system is clean, obtain updates, etc. :
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/2/0/

    MowGreen [MVP]
    ==============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    cornfused wrote:

    > well, thanks to you people i got rid whatever. i can connect using ie again,
    > thanks
    >
    > "cornfused" wrote:
    >

    >>xp pro sp2 ie6--spent last several nights trying to get rid of
    >>(winserver,optimizer,wsem dll and others. these ads installed themselves
    >>through ie into ie browser add on, control panel and registry. how do i stop
    >>this? how do i know if i got rid of all of them?
    >>--
    >>corn

    > Neither adware nor spyware, collectively known as scumware,
    > magically install themselves on anyone's computer. They are almost
    > always deliberately installed by the computer's user, as part of some
    > allegedly "free" service or product.

    Not true, Bruce. They also use exploits to infest unpatched systems with
    NO User intervention. Lately, they've taken to exploit Sun's JRE
    versions prior to 1.4.2_06. Once the system is infested, the User can no
    longer update successfully either.
    Misleading pop up windows are another favorite of the miscreants. "
    You're system is infested with SPYWARE. Click here for a free scan !"
    The system is then innundated with various malware.
    The issue is the BAD GUYS that are doing their nefarious deeds, not the
    naive Users. Maybe a firing squad would end this nonsense.

    MowGreen [MVP]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

    > Not true, Bruce. They also use exploits to infest unpatched systems with
    > NO User intervention. Lately, they've taken to exploit Sun's JRE
    > versions prior to 1.4.2_06. Once the system is infested, the User can no
    > longer update successfully either.

    I think the key word above is "unpatched." Remember, one of the key
    components to computer security that I've identified is the maintaining
    of current patch/service pack levels. I've not seen nor heard of one
    that can penetrate a properly maintained (including patches) system yet,
    but I wouldn't be too surprised to see one come along. I do think the
    threat could be mitigated by properly managing one's Java (and ActiveX,
    if applicable) security options from within the browser. Anyway, I've
    always acknowledged the existence of such a possibility in a small
    number of cases; such exploits can exist, but are, to my knowledge,
    exceedingly rare.

    > Misleading pop up windows are another favorite of the miscreants. "
    > You're system is infested with SPYWARE. Click here for a free scan !"
    > The system is then innundated with various malware.

    Proving my point. The Black Hats mostly rely upon the gullibility (and
    often greed) of their victims. The phenomenon even has a widely
    publicized name: Social Engineering. A properly educated computer user
    wouldn't fall for such an obvious scam.

    > The issue is the BAD GUYS that are doing their nefarious deeds, not the
    > naive Users.

    Granted, it's ultimately the fault of the bad guys. But there always
    have been, and always will be, bad guys. People need to think for
    themselves and abandon their naivete; just because there are bad guys to
    blame is no reason not to defend oneself.

    > Maybe a firing squad would end this nonsense.

    Perhaps, but that'd be too quick and painless. I prefer to envision a
    fate involving partial burial, honey, and ants.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > Perhaps, but that'd be too quick and painless. I prefer to envision
    > a fate involving partial burial, honey, and ants.

    Hmmm, that sounds even better than a quick execution ;)

    Unfortunately, unpatched vulns keep appearing that require NO User
    intervention :
    http://freehost07.websamba.com/greyhats/sp2rc-analysis.htm

    " Severity
    ---------
    Critical - Remote code execution, no user intervention "

    >>> Misleading pop up windows are another favorite of the miscreants. "
    >>> You're system is infested with SPYWARE. Click here for a free scan !"
    >>> The system is then innundated with various malware.
    >>

    >> Proving my point. The Black Hats mostly rely upon the gullibility
    >> (and often greed) of their victims. The phenomenon even has a widely
    >> publicized name: Social Engineering. A properly educated computer user
    >> wouldn't fall for such an obvious scam.

    The misleading popups frighten the Users more than they appeal to their
    collective greed what with all the media misinformation .

    It appears that the only truly safe surfing must be done with all
    scripting and images disabled . Yuck ...

    MowGreen [MVP]
    ===============
    Bruce Chambers wrote:

    > MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
    >

    >> Not true, Bruce. They also use exploits to infest unpatched systems
    >> with NO User intervention. Lately, they've taken to exploit Sun's JRE
    >> versions prior to 1.4.2_06. Once the system is infested, the User can
    >> no longer update successfully either.
    >

    > I think the key word above is "unpatched." Remember, one of the key
    > components to computer security that I've identified is the maintaining
    > of current patch/service pack levels. I've not seen nor heard of one
    > that can penetrate a properly maintained (including patches) system yet,
    > but I wouldn't be too surprised to see one come along. I do think the
    > threat could be mitigated by properly managing one's Java (and ActiveX,
    > if applicable) security options from within the browser. Anyway, I've
    > always acknowledged the existence of such a possibility in a small
    > number of cases; such exploits can exist, but are, to my knowledge,
    > exceedingly rare.
    >

    >> Misleading pop up windows are another favorite of the miscreants. "
    >> You're system is infested with SPYWARE. Click here for a free scan !"
    >> The system is then innundated with various malware.
    >

    > Proving my point. The Black Hats mostly rely upon the gullibility
    > (and often greed) of their victims. The phenomenon even has a widely
    > publicized name: Social Engineering. A properly educated computer user
    > wouldn't fall for such an obvious scam.
    >

    >> The issue is the BAD GUYS that are doing their nefarious deeds, not
    >> the naive Users.
    >

    > Granted, it's ultimately the fault of the bad guys. But there
    > always have been, and always will be, bad guys. People need to think
    > for themselves and abandon their naivete; just because there are bad
    > guys to blame is no reason not to defend oneself.
    >

    >> Maybe a firing squad would end this nonsense.
    >>

    > Perhaps, but that'd be too quick and painless. I prefer to envision
    > a fate involving partial burial, honey, and ants.

    well, your right this thing is still attacking. now as clkoptimizer and
    qoologic. i have adaware and spyblaster and avg. avg is calling these files
    qoologic k virus. i read your last posts but not sure those actions are
    within my realm. will check out blaster site for info.

    "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

    > To help mitigate against further infestations of parasitic malware,
    > download and install Spyware Blaster :
    >
    > Read the FAQ'S to learn how to enable it's protection, take a system
    > snapshot when the system is clean, obtain updates, etc. :
    > http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/2/0/
    >

    > MowGreen [MVP]
    > ==============
    > *-343-* FDNY
    > Never Forgotten
    > ===============
    >

    > cornfused wrote:
    >
    > > well, thanks to you people i got rid whatever. i can connect using ie again,
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > "cornfused" wrote:
    > >

    > >>xp pro sp2 ie6--spent last several nights trying to get rid of
    > >>(winserver,optimizer,wsem dll and others. these ads installed themselves
    > >>through ie into ie browser add on, control panel and registry. how do i stop
    > >>this? how do i know if i got rid of all of them?
    > >>--
    > >>corn

    Here's a thread at CastleCops that dealt with the same variant :
    http://castlecops.com/postp404934.html

    If you find it too difficult to carry out advise you to download Hijack
    This http://castlecops.com/downloads-file-328.html then read the
    guidelines : http://castlecops.com/postt8864.html for posting.
    Register and then post, according to the guidelines, here :
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

    MowGreen [MVP]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    cornfused wrote:
    > well, your right this thing is still attacking. now as clkoptimizer and
    > qoologic. i have adaware and spyblaster and avg. avg is calling these files
    > qoologic k virus. i read your last posts but not sure those actions are
    > within my realm. will check out blaster site for info.
    >
    > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
    >

    >>To help mitigate against further infestations of parasitic malware,
    >>download and install Spyware Blaster :
    >>http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    >>
    >>Read the FAQ'S to learn how to enable it's protection, take a system
    >>snapshot when the system is clean, obtain updates, etc. :
    >>http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/2/0/
    >>

    >>MowGreen [MVP]
    >> *-343-* FDNY
    >>Never Forgotten
    >>

    >>cornfused wrote:
    >>

    >>>well, thanks to you people i got rid whatever. i can connect using ie again,
    >>>thanks

Internet Explorer Windows XP