Num Lock key does not come on by default anymore

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to get my Num Lock on by default
at start up.
Many thanks

John Gudgin wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to get my Num Lock on by
> default at start up.

<- Shenan ->

John Gudgin wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to get my Num Lock on by default
> at start up.
> Many thanks

WinXP, like its predecessors WinNT and Win2K, by design, ignores
the BIOS settings for the NumLock key as a standard security feature.
(I'm afraid I can't remember the "security" issue initially addressed.)
By default, the NumLock key is turned off as WinXP starts, and keeps
it off until someone logs in and initializes a user profile. WinXP will
remember the NumLock's last state, meaning that if you log out with the
NumLock on, it will automatically turn on the next time you log in; If
you log out with the NumLock off, it will be off the next time you log in.

If you need the NumLock on _before_ logging in, a registry edit can
be used to change WinXP's default behavior:

How to Set the NUM LOCK State at Logon in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314879

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: