Problem powering on the computer

ranrnic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
Sorry if this question is in the wrong place. I recently put together a computer but I am having problems turning it on. The "power" button on the front will not work right away. I have to turn off the power supply switch for about a minute and then turn it back on, then the power button on front of the case will turn on the system. I called the place where I got the motherboard and they told me it could be the power supply. I just wanted to get some opinions before I have to spend money on a new power supply and finding out it is something else like the motherboard.

Here is my computer's setup. I have a 400 watt power supply (I forgot the brand but something like EnerSomething), Asus A7N8X motherboard with an AMD 2100+ processor, Asus 8x GeForce Ti 4200 video card, Pioneer Dvd drive, Pioneer DVD-RW drive, Sony CD-RW, floppy drive, 2 512meg sticks of PC2700 memory, Western Digital 100gig HD, Coolermaster HD bay cooler, Vantec CPU fan, 2 case fans plugged into the motherboard, 2 lighted fans plugged directly to the power supply.

Hope that information helps. If this is a real stupid question, I'm sorry, I guess I'm just a real stupid person. I appreciate any and all feedback that you have to offer. Thanks.

G

chances are ENERsomething is Enermax, which is a very good company of power supplies. Are there any other problems you are having with the computer? Is it overclocked? I remeber one time i had a similar problem where the problem was one of those things you screw into the case to screw the motherboard into was touching ther motherboard and bridge some stuff and caused it to turn itself off immediately whenever I tried to turn it on. Could this be your problem?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Hello Ranrnic,
It probably is the power supply. There is logic in the power supply itself that more or less directly monitors that front power switch, through the motherboard.

That it will turn on the first time after power off/power on pretty much vindicates the motherboard... it does pass the signal along.

If the supply is new, just take it back and get it replaced under warranty. Shouldn't cost you anything.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

spfowler

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
I've got an Enermax 380watt supply in my system. It will occassionally do the same thing. It only happens if I have just powered down my system and within a short time try to power it up again. I think it is because my case cooling isn't the best and it's a thermal reset that keeps the power supply from coming on. The case I have doesn't allow a front cooling fan. You can mount one but there is no air intake (good thinking Nikao!).
I would try another power supply and see what happens.

No AOL flames please. I've had this email address since 1994 and don't want to give it up!

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I had a problem with mine where it would turn on, all fans would spin for a sec then turn off. I would have to cycle the PS, turn the switch in the back off then on, and it would do the same thing. After clearing the CMOS, with a jumper, everything ran fine.

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"