program listing

December 24, 2004 9:31:03 AM

I have installed new programs to my Windows Xp but they do not show up in the
All programs list when I click start and ALL PROGRAMS. They do show up in the
Add and Remove . How does one get to have it listed in the program list.
Thanks Moe103
--
moe

More about : program listing

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 2:00:23 PM

moe103 wrote:
> I have installed new programs to my Windows Xp but they do not show
> up in the All programs list when I click start and ALL PROGRAMS. They
> do show up in the Add and Remove . How does one get to have it listed
> in the program list. Thanks Moe103

How a program installs is determined by the program itself.

When you make your description, should you have added "for all users" or
something similar? What I mean is - do they show up for the user who
installed them, but no one else? That is a symptom many people notice
because many applications were not written for the multi-user OS - meaning
they create their icons in the users profile and when another user logs in -
well - that is a different profile.

--
<- Shenan ->
December 25, 2004 1:40:58 AM

If these programs have not added the shortcuts to your 'All Programs' folder
you can still manually add them there. They folder is located at
'C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name or account>\Start Menu\Programs.
Find the programs you want listed here and drag into this folder.

"moe103" <moe103@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed new programs to my Windows Xp but they do not show up in
>the
> All programs list when I click start and ALL PROGRAMS. They do show up in
> the
> Add and Remove . How does one get to have it listed in the program list.
> Thanks Moe103
> --
> moe
December 25, 2004 8:13:02 AM

In following your procedure , and copying the desk top shortcuts to the
Start menu the programs were entered in that start list. What I was needing
was a way to get the programs to be Listed in the ALL PROGRAMS window where
all the programs are visible after clicking the start button and All
programs.It was not a shortcut I was wanting to list , but the program itself
..I hope I made myself clear on this . Thanks for what assistance you can give
me . Moe103

"ras" wrote:

> If these programs have not added the shortcuts to your 'All Programs' folder
> you can still manually add them there. They folder is located at
> 'C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name or account>\Start Menu\Programs.
> Find the programs you want listed here and drag into this folder.
>

> "moe103" <moe103@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have installed new programs to my Windows Xp but they do not show up in
> >the
> > All programs list when I click start and ALL PROGRAMS. They do show up in
> > the
> > Add and Remove . How does one get to have it listed in the program list.
> > Thanks Moe103
> > --
> > moe

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 10:04:47 AM

On 25/12/2004 moe103 wrote:

> In following your procedure , and copying the desk top shortcuts to
> the Start menu the programs were entered in that start list. What I
> was needing was a way to get the programs to be Listed in the ALL
> PROGRAMS window where all the programs are visible after clicking the
> start button and All programs.It was not a shortcut I was wanting to
> list , but the program itself .I hope I made myself clear on this .
> Thanks for what assistance you can give me . Moe103

Follow the previous instructions but drag them to C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Start Menu.

You don't really want the programs there, just the shortcuts.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Thanks for the info, but I still haven't gotten the answer to my question .
Maybe I am addressing it wrong . Since I have installed some new programs and
got a little Blurb that New Programs were installed, I expected them to be
listed in the full screen version that comes up when I clic the Start button
in the task bar and then clic on the arrow where it says All Programs . This
opens a full window showing all my programs such as Accessories , Lotus ,
Microsoft , Quicken, Outlook etc. This is where I am trying to get my
programs (not shortcuts)listed.
I hope that I have made myself clearer on this . Thanks anyone for the help.
Moe 103

"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

> On 25/12/2004 moe103 wrote:
>
> > In following your procedure , and copying the desk top shortcuts to
> > the Start menu the programs were entered in that start list. What I
> > was needing was a way to get the programs to be Listed in the ALL
> > PROGRAMS window where all the programs are visible after clicking the
> > start button and All programs.It was not a shortcut I was wanting to
> > list , but the program itself .I hope I made myself clear on this .
> > Thanks for what assistance you can give me . Moe103
>
> Follow the previous instructions but drag them to C:\Documents and
> Settings\All Users\Start Menu.
>
> You don't really want the programs there, just the shortcuts.
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines
> Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:03:14 PM

On 25/12/2004 moe103 wrote:

> "Jeff Gaines" wrote:
>
> > On 25/12/2004 moe103 wrote:
> >
> > > In following your procedure , and copying the desk top shortcuts
> > > to the Start menu the programs were entered in that start list.
> > > What I was needing was a way to get the programs to be Listed in
> > > the ALL PROGRAMS window where all the programs are visible after
> > > clicking the start button and All programs.It was not a shortcut
> > > I was wanting to list , but the program itself .I hope I made
> > > myself clear on this . Thanks for what assistance you can give
> > > me . Moe103
> >
> > Follow the previous instructions but drag them to C:\Documents and
> > Settings\All Users\Start Menu.
> >
> > You don't really want the programs there, just the shortcuts.

> Thanks for the info, but I still haven't gotten the answer to my
> question . Maybe I am addressing it wrong . Since I have installed
> some new programs and got a little Blurb that New Programs were
> installed, I expected them to be listed in the full screen version
> that comes up when I clic the Start button in the task bar and then
> clic on the arrow where it says All Programs . This opens a full
> window showing all my programs such as Accessories , Lotus ,
> Microsoft , Quicken, Outlook etc. This is where I am trying to get my
> programs (not shortcuts)listed. I hope that I have made myself
> clearer on this . Thanks anyone for the help. Moe 103

When you click on Start | All Programs a menu appears.

The items on those menus are shortcuts to programs.

Any shortcuts in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu will
show up on that menu. So if you drag the shortcuts into that folder
they will also appear on the menu.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 3:09:34 PM

Hi, Moe,

The programs listed in the start menu, are actually pointers to the
programs.
Some you can install manually, and others by XP.

They are actually shortcuts, for easy access.

If the programs are written to install automatically, you will get them
installed on the start menu, and some will place Icons on the desktop for
you.

Others you create as a shortcut, and the icons can then be dragged onto the
startmenu.

Sometimes it's hard to explain to new users.
Good Luck,
Jerry

> Thanks for the info, but I still haven't gotten the answer to my question
> .
> Maybe I am addressing it wrong . Since I have installed some new programs
> and
> got a little Blurb that New Programs were installed, I expected them to
> be
> listed in the full screen version that comes up when I clic the Start
> button
> in the task bar and then clic on the arrow where it says All Programs .
<Snip>
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 4:43:22 PM

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:43:01 -0800, moe103 wrote:

> Thanks for the info, but I still haven't gotten the answer to my question .
> Maybe I am addressing it wrong . Since I have installed some new programs and
> got a little Blurb that New Programs were installed, I expected them to be
> listed in the full screen version that comes up when I clic the Start button
> in the task bar and then clic on the arrow where it says All Programs . This
> opens a full window showing all my programs such as Accessories , Lotus ,
> Microsoft , Quicken, Outlook etc. This is where I am trying to get my
> programs (not shortcuts)listed.
> I hope that I have made myself clearer on this . Thanks anyone for the help.
> Moe 103

Is it possible you have "Scroll Programs" selected in the Start Menu
properties? Click the arrows at the bottom (and sometimes top) of the
column to see more listings. You could also turn that setting off in
Taskbar/StartMenu Properties and then you would see a full listing of
programs.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi all: I have had a lot of help with this and appreciate everyone writing ,
I will now have to try the solutions and see what happens . thanks veeryone
for the help. Moe103

"JerryM (ID)" wrote:

> Hi, Moe,
>
> The programs listed in the start menu, are actually pointers to the
> programs.
> Some you can install manually, and others by XP.
>
> They are actually shortcuts, for easy access.
>
> If the programs are written to install automatically, you will get them
> installed on the start menu, and some will place Icons on the desktop for
> you.
>
> Others you create as a shortcut, and the icons can then be dragged onto the
> startmenu.
>
> Sometimes it's hard to explain to new users.
> Good Luck,
> Jerry
>

> "moe103" <moe103@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the info, but I still haven't gotten the answer to my question
> > .
> > Maybe I am addressing it wrong . Since I have installed some new programs
> > and
> > got a little Blurb that New Programs were installed, I expected them to
> > be
> > listed in the full screen version that comes up when I clic the Start
> > button
> > in the task bar and then clic on the arrow where it says All Programs .
> <Snip>

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 2:17:01 PM

Many people do not understand the START menu. EVERYTHING there is a shortcut.
Most user installed programs are physically in c:p rogram Files\. The
directory c:D ocuments and Settings\ contain folders for each user and for all
users. These contain shortcut entries that will appear in the START menu and
the desktop. The last mentioned folder structure also contains your data
files.

Just browse through the folder structure and you will see how the START menu
and desktop are maintained.

"moe103" wrote:

> Hi all: I have had a lot of help with this and appreciate everyone writing ,
> I will now have to try the solutions and see what happens . thanks veeryone
> for the help. Moe103
>
> "JerryM (ID)" wrote:
>
> > Hi, Moe,
> >
> > The programs listed in the start menu, are actually pointers to the
> > programs.
> > Some you can install manually, and others by XP.
> >
> > They are actually shortcuts, for easy access.
> >
> > If the programs are written to install automatically, you will get them
> > installed on the start menu, and some will place Icons on the desktop for
> > you.
> >
> > Others you create as a shortcut, and the icons can then be dragged onto the
> > startmenu.
> >
> > Sometimes it's hard to explain to new users.
> > Good Luck,
> > Jerry
> >

> > "moe103" <moe103@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for the info, but I still haven't gotten the answer to my question
> > > .
> > > Maybe I am addressing it wrong . Since I have installed some new programs
> > > and
> > > got a little Blurb that New Programs were installed, I expected them to
> > > be
> > > listed in the full screen version that comes up when I clic the Start
> > > button
> > > in the task bar and then clic on the arrow where it says All Programs .
> > <Snip>

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:01:01 AM

I got a lot of sound knowledge from all the answers and I know have one last
question on this subject. Knowing that the programs are listed in the SUB
MENU of the list after clicking on Start , All Programs : how do I get to
make the fonts smaller here in this Sub Menu so that I can see ALL the
programs listed .I still get the bubble with the words NEW PROGRAMS ADDED,
but can't see them at the bottom of the list.I would assume that there is not
enought space to list them out . Thanks for the information from everyone .
Moe \

!