Getting really low performance, need help

I know this is more of a hardware question, but since I didn't see a general performance board and this is a gaming rig, I thought maybe you guys could help me here. Here's the specs:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5400+ Black Edition 2.6 Ghz
NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT x2
4 gigs of RAM
Windows XP Home

Naturally, my expectations are pretty high for the machine. However, I get pretty dramatic framerate drops playing games like Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 with max settings, going as low as the 20's. My average temps are about.

GPU: ~50 C idle, ~65 C load (fan speed is all the way up).
CPU: ~40 C idle, ~55-60 C load.

I thought maybe overheating was the problem, but after searching the net a bit these temperatures seem to be pretty standard for the hardware. However, I am open to any suggestions and all, and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
2 answers Last reply
More about getting performance help
  1. Sounds about right for a pair of 8800 GT cards in SLI.

At least... looking at the charts posted here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/benchmarks,30.html

You'd expect slightly better numbers than from crysis and that's exactly what you're seeing, ya?
  2. What resolution are you running? Unless very high res, the stock clocked X2 5600+ looks like the weak link vs a pair of 8800GT's.

I don't think it's a temp issue. CPU is on the high side for stock clocks, but not terrible and within range; GPU is totally fine. What cooler are you running with that Black Edition? If it were a non BE I'd assume a retail AMD cooler.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Hardware Performance Video Games