Windows Explorer crippled after upgrade to XP - fix? reins..

HI - I upgraded a PC from WIN98SE to WINXP Home SP2. Went great, except
for one very odd thing:

in Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options

1) Under General - "Show common tasks in folders" is greyed out, as is
"single-click to open an item".
2) Under View - "Apply to all folders" doesn't work.

#2 is quite annoying - everything shows up in Icon view.

What happened? How to fix?

I'm thinking -
a) tweak registry?
b) copy Explorer.exe from another XP machine?
c) Repair Install?

Thanks!
/j

PS - I found and tried all the registry-related fixes related to
....Shell/Bags and BagMRU Size - didn't help at all (sigh). any ideas of
what ELSE it might be?

Jeff W wrote:

>HI - I upgraded a PC from WIN98SE to WINXP Home SP2. Went great, except
>for one very odd thing:
>

>in Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options
>
>1) Under General - "Show common tasks in folders" is greyed out, as is
>"single-click to open an item".
>2) Under View - "Apply to all folders" doesn't work.
>
>#2 is quite annoying - everything shows up in Icon view.
>
>What happened? How to fix?
>
>I'm thinking -
>a) tweak registry?
>b) copy Explorer.exe from another XP machine?
>c) Repair Install?
>

>Thanks!
>/j

For the 1st problem, disable the ClassicShell. Read here:

"Single-click to open an item" in the Folder Options is grayed out:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555140
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/singleclickfolder.htm

Verify the equivalent path under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive as well.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

#2 is quite annoying - everything shows up in Icon view.

What happened? How to fix?

I'm thinking -
a) tweak registry?
b) copy Explorer.exe from another XP machine?
c) Repair Install?

Thanks!
/j

Thanks Ramesh - it's the 2nd one I really want to fix ...

in Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View - "Apply to all folders" doesn't work.

/j

Ramesh [MVP] wrote:

>For the 1st problem, disable the ClassicShell. Read here:
>
>"Single-click to open an item" in the Folder Options is grayed out:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555140
>http://windowsxp.mvps.org/singleclickfolder.htm
>
>Verify the equivalent path under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive as well.

Actually Ramesh - this fix fixed BOTH my problems (apply current view
to all folders works now)

THANKS!!!!
/j

Ramesh [MVP] wrote:

>For the 1st problem, disable the ClassicShell. Read here:
>
>"Single-click to open an item" in the Folder Options is grayed out:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555140
>http://windowsxp.mvps.org/singleclickfolder.htm
>
>Verify the equivalent path under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive as well.

You're welcome, Jeff.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User