Preserving WinXp Taskmanager Options

Hi!
I am having an annoying problem. When I use the Windows Task Manager and
personalize its use by setting up its options, resizing it on screen or
selecting columns, and then later close the program, when I reopen the Task
Manager again all my settings sometimes get lost. Why is this and how do I
preserve my settings? I am using Windows XP Home SP1.

Thanks!
Nikki
6 answers Last reply
More about preserving winxp taskmanager options

    Hi Nikki,

    Try resetting the Task Manager settings in the registry:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/TaskManager_Reset.reg

    Close Task Manager.
    Download the REG file to the Desktop and double-click it.
    Open Task Manager and reset your preferences.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Nikki" <anon@anonymous.com> wrote in message news:ef7zRq$6EHA.3856@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

    Hi!
    I am having an annoying problem. When I use the Windows Task Manager and
    personalize its use by setting up its options, resizing it on screen or
    selecting columns, and then later close the program, when I reopen the Task
    Manager again all my settings sometimes get lost. Why is this and how do I
    preserve my settings? I am using Windows XP Home SP1.

    Thanks!
    Nikki

    Thanks Ramesh for your reply.
    I have done what you recommended and it has not fixed my problem. The task
    manager still opens to the default settings.

    I tried backing up my Task Manager registry settings after changing the Task
    Manager options and closing the Task Manager. I would then restore the Task
    Manager registry settings to the registry before restarting Task Manager
    hoping to see what happens. The Task Manager seems to ignore the registry
    settings when starting up but accesses and resets the registry to the
    defaults when it is closes.

    Any further insights into this problem would be appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Nikki

[...]

    I'm not sure if you've applied the REG fix. Or, try deleting the key manually:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TaskManager

    Also verify the permissions for this registry key.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Nikki" <anon@anonymous.com> wrote in message news:uMoHrpM7EHA.2804@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
[...]

    I have downloaded and applied the fix according to your instructions.
    Problem still exists when I close and reopen the program.

    I backed up the key then I tried deleting the key manually. The problem
    still persists.

    I then did an experiment where I restored the backed up registry settings
    then reopened the Task Manager. (All the while, I monitored the registry
    looking for the point where it gets reset.) The Task Manager "ignored" the
    restored settings and opened to default. Task Manager did not alter the
    registry settings when it restarted but did change them back to default
    settings when it was closed.

    It is almost as if the Task Manager software is unable to read the registry
    when starting but can still write to it when closing...

[...]

    Very weird. I'd monitor the read/write operations using Regmon. It does query these two values:

    ----
    taskmgr.exe:1260 QueryValue HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TaskManager\UsrColumnSettings
    taskmgr.exe:1260 QueryValue HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TaskManager\Preferences
    ----

    Other than that, no clue as of now.
    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Nikki" <anon@anonymous.com> wrote in message news:uUNpgYZ7EHA.3700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

[...]

    Although I am not familiar with regmon, it does seem to indicate that Task
    Manager is successfully accessing the registry (Query Value - SUCCESS) and
    writing back to the registry (SetValue - SUCCESS). However, it is still
    ignoring what it is reading in the registry when it starts up. Also, I have
    noticed that this problem seems to be a somewhat inconsistent problem as
    occasionally Task Manager would start up and accept the values restored to
    the registry...

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP