add to favorites functioning slowly in Windows XP Pro, slo..

December 27, 2004 4:38:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers, alt.os.windows-xp, microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I switched to a new computer that was supposed to be about five times
as fast as my old computer; the new computer is loaded with XP Pro,
supposedly superior to the Windows Millenium (ME) on my old computer.
In several ways so far as I can tell this seems to have been a giant
step backwards for me.

Case in point: When I add a web page to favorites in the Explorer
browser, using the new XP Pro computer, every time I do this, the
hourglass comes on freezing everything for about three or four seconds.

I knew how to deal with such problems using ME: defrag, scandisk,
reducing start-up program load, ad-aware to search out and delete
spyware infections causing slowdown. So far all I have done on the XP
Pro computer is run defrag (I read that in XP such runs scandisk
automatically) and restart the computer but such has not solved the
problem.

What is the best way to remove slowdown creating spyware using XP?

How is start up program load reduced in XP? With ME such was tricky
because certain things cannot be deleted from the startup program load.

What are the techniques someone who knows how to speed up Windows ME
should know in order to speed up Windows XP Pro?
---

David Virgil Hobbs
http://www.angelfire.com/ma/vincemoon
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 3:59:41 PM

vincemoon@rcn.com wrote:

> I switched to a new computer that was supposed to be about five times
> as fast as my old computer; the new computer is loaded with XP Pro,
> supposedly superior to the Windows Millenium (ME) on my old computer.
> In several ways so far as I can tell this seems to have been a giant
> step backwards for me.
>
> Case in point: When I add a web page to favorites in the Explorer
> browser, using the new XP Pro computer, every time I do this, the
> hourglass comes on freezing everything for about three or four seconds.
>

> I knew how to deal with such problems using ME: defrag, scandisk,
> reducing start-up program load, ad-aware to search out and delete
> spyware infections causing slowdown. So far all I have done on the XP
> Pro computer is run defrag (I read that in XP such runs scandisk
> automatically) and restart the computer but such has not solved the
> problem.
>
> What is the best way to remove slowdown creating spyware using XP?
>
> How is start up program load reduced in XP? With ME such was tricky
> because certain things cannot be deleted from the startup program load.
>
> What are the techniques someone who knows how to speed up Windows ME
> should know in order to speed up Windows XP Pro?
> ---
>

> David Virgil Hobbs
> http://www.angelfire.com/ma/vincemoon

You have installed any patches/updates available for IE right?

Later
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:52:19 AM

What worked for me:
Start->Run->cmd->sfc->ENTER

I found the answer to the problem at tip 29 in:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:g7_Bt_fAIM8J:smart...

Evidently, sfc, which stands for system file checker, is not supposed
to have anything to do with Explorer, but, since Windows has become so
tightly integrated with Explorer, this solution works. I know it did
for me.

Other sources say that the command line prompts I listed below, should
end with sfc/scannow. when I did that, after a long scan I got a
messagebox saying that I have to load a CD, the XP CD 2 CD, into the
computer so that some Dlls can be copied. I did not have this CD. It
did not come with the computer. But in the end it was not necessary to
solve this problem.
January 12, 2005 7:34:01 AM

The sfc-ENTER trick, worked like a charm at first; but then, the
hourglass/delay appearing after add-to-favorites problem re-surfaced,
and the sfc-ENTER trick was no longer effective. I had to close all
windows--there were many open--, and restart the computer: only then
did the add-to-favorites function work quickly again..

Seems you get to a point where you have to re-start or close all
windows, either before or after running the sfc-ENTER trick, in order
for the sfc-ENTER trick to be effective.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:56:53 AM

ADD TO FAVORITES DELAY SOLVED WITHOUT RESTART THROUGH CLOSING ALL
WINDOWS

The hourglass/delay appearing after add-to-favorites problem again
re-surfaced, and the sfc-ENTER trick was again no longer effective.

This time, I had to close all windows--there were many open--, only
then did the add-to-favorites function work quickly again.
But I did not need to restart.

Seems you get to a point where you have to close all windows, either
before or after running the sfc-ENTER trick, in order
for the sfc-ENTER trick to be effective. Either that or closing all
windows without the sfc-ENTER trick can sometimes solve the problem.

The 'group similar icons' checkbox in taskbar properties: leaving this
checkbox unchecked is often preferable, but checking it will make
closing all open windows quicker and easier.

Does anyone know about how to use the NET framework language to write
out code that would simplify the process of altering task-bar
properties? I would like to know how to write code that would enable me
to for example, toggle the 'group similar icons' property on and off by
clicking a quicklaunch/toolbar icon or context menu option. Adding the
ability to group one type of icon but not another, would be a step
forward.

As far as I know, the XP Pro Media Center Operating System is unique in
that it itself is written using the .NET framework and comes with .NET
framework pre-loaded (you do'nt have to download it).

This all may sound petty, but innovations that save one user a few
seconds a day, can save the world the equivalent of hundreds of
millions of dollars when they are applied by millions of users; even
more important such innovations help to reduce fatigue produced through
excess unnecessary activities performed by the hand, eye, and brain.

Such fatigue may not be enormous in and of itself; problem is, it
occurs at times when the mind is at a peak state, such as times when
the user is creatively brainstorming while using the computer; the
'annoyances' that produce this fatigue, interrupt the train of thought,
and eat up precious seconds of peak state time, which can be worse than
eating up hours of common-state-of-mind time.
!