Help choosing P4 motherboard

I am looking to build a Intel machine with a P4 2.4GHZ processor. I am having difficulty choosing a motherbaoard for this system. My main items are stability and best performance for under $100.00
8 answers Last reply
More about help choosing motherboard
  1. If it's stability you're after, consider running through Intel's motherboard selector and choose an Intel chipset and motherboard combination. I'd recommend the 845PE chipset for you, unless you also want integrated graphics, then maybe the 845GE, GL or GV.

<A HREF="http://appzone.intel.com/boards/index.asp" target="_new">http://appzone.intel.com/boards/index.asp</A>

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---
  2. I would prefer to install a AGP card for graphics. Someone may say that onboard graphics is ok but then they change what the computer is use and want better graphics.
    I am leaning towards a Intel board with onboard sound. Is "*845" the best chipset for general usage in a computer?"
  3. 845 is very different from 845PE. You don't want 845 unless you are really, really on a budget. 845 only supports a 400MHz bus, while 845PE supports 533Mhz.

I recommeded the 845PE as a good choice for stability and cost. If you use Intel's mobo selecter, it will show you Intel mobo's that use that chipset.

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---
  4. what is your opinion of the "D845PESVL" from Microsoft?
  5. Well, I don't think that's from Microsoft. I think it's an Intel mobo with the 845PE chipset, and, for that reason, I'd say its a good choice for you.

6. You're right it is a Intel motherboard, slip of the gears in my brain.

Thanks
  7. Yes, Intel's i845PE boards are built for stability above all else, and perform adequately.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
  8. I haven't followed the news of Intel products closely, but is i845PE the last of the i845 series? In other words, will Intel release any more new chipset based on the i845 design?
    Thanx.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Build Intel Processors