Product Activation Key

My computer crashed and I lost the cover for the windows xp cd so now that
makes it impossible to reinstall it without having some code that is on the
outside of the packaging. could someone please help me??

If your computer is still operational:

Retrieve your Windows XP CD key
http://michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

If your computer is not operational:

;326246]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"brittany_2005" wrote:

| My computer crashed and I lost the cover for the windows xp cd so now that
| makes it impossible to reinstall it without having some code that is on the
| outside of the packaging. could someone please help me??

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"brittany_2005" <brittany_2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89B51CB2-7413-4D53-A275-81B87EDBC26B@microsoft.com...
> My computer crashed and I lost the cover for the windows xp cd so now that
> makes it impossible to reinstall it without having some code that is on the
> outside of the packaging. could someone please help me??

Visit here;

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326246

brittany_2005 wrote:
> My computer crashed and I lost the cover for the windows xp cd so now that
> makes it impossible to reinstall it without having some code that is on the
> outside of the packaging. could someone please help me??

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: