Need fast advice changing board

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Hi all.

Got an asus a7V8x last week, and some 3200 corsair xms, and a 2600+ 333 chip, had a prob getting the board to see 400Mhz ram speed, it would only see this (or give the option in bios) if I clocked the fsb down from 166 to 133 - thus seing the cpu as a 2000+ not a 2600, not a lot of use really, I WILL be overclocking it and so unlocking the cpu, but why should I loose all that fsb speed!!
So, its going back tomorrow, and Im going to change it, I looked at maybe the asus A7N8X but I see it has only 3 ram slots- I was under the impression I needed the paired memory to get best performance- how will this work with 3 ?. I have an abit kt7aR which I have had since that was one of the best boards around, and wouldnt mind another abit, the only ones I see tho are either legacy free, or 333's apart from maybe the nf7 or nf7-s, does anyone have any input on any of these? I DO like the Qfan control on the asus since Im not watercooled anymore

All suggestions/comments welcome

TIA

CALV

Oh, and it needs to be one of THESE since thats where I got it (I always reccomend people DONT go to scan but I got me new chip last weekend and "NEEDED" the board and ram immediatly.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
yes, the dual ddr or whatever you want to call it only works with pairs, in the case of the board you mentioned, you can only do this with slot 1 and 3.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
bloody stupid that a lot of boards have 3, you would have thought theyd be in pairs.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

sterlon

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2003
To get dual ddr support you need to have the dims in slot 2 + 3. These are the blue slots. This has repeatedly been discused in this forum.

OH crap its on fire again