Thinking of selling my system - what's it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
System specs are as follows:
intel core i7 920 D0 @ 3.8GHz
12 GB patriot viper 1600 MHz low latency ram
sapphire radeon HD5870 vapor-X oc 1GB
Asus p6t deluxe V2
vigor monsoon iii LT cpu heatsink
1TB WD caviar black 7200rpm
antec tpq 850 PSU
antec 900 chassis
LG super multi blu ray drive

windows 7 pro
photoshop CS4
office 2007
etc.

In doing this don't add the cost of the software as most people buying a system are not going to want to pay for software like photoshop, office , Windows, etc. that someone else has had access to the license key (even if it is a legitimately purchased copy having it installed and used by someone else makes it difficult to purchase and use with confidence in this day and age -and for most of them there are other free or low cost options so not many people are going to buy a used system and pay much for the used software.

I don't want to discourage anyone from selling their used system. I don't think the software is a serious issue. Same software issue holds true for people who purchase oem systems with no restore disk, then have the board go out on them. Some folks don't even bother creating a restore dvd.

I agree was just noting that since Office 2007 retails for $350 - $700 depending on the version and Photoshop is the same, that trying to include 66% of that in the selling price would pretty much keep it from being sold !!

thenoob700

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
don't forget to switch out that hard drive to prevent identity theft. even if you formatted it, deleted it, used a program to seriously erase all data. The info is still there.

No it isn't if you do that !! -- the info is stored a 0's and 1's and if you use a real security program to erase it then the disk will be written over with all 0's so that there is effectively NO DATA on the HDD -- That is what the secure programs are made for - while you are correct if someone simply does a simple reformat or deletion some of the info can be retrieved if you use a wipe program then nothing is there to be retreived since it has all been written over to clear it !

thenoob700

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

i am paranoid, usually when I change out my hard drive, i smash the old one with a sledge hammer. fear the pro hackers.

rlf3911

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I'd think 1200-1300 would be a good price(depends on the shape/use of the items also). Maybe higher if you can find someone who has the extra cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.