Guys, help on ASUS P4PE 533FSB

ortuno2k

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2003
Hi. I'm new on the site and the forum, and have a couple of questions.
I recently bought an ASUS P4PE 533FSB motherboard, and I'm building a system from the ground up.
I want possibly a 2.8 GHZ or 3.06 GHZ P4.
What good choice of video card do I have? I recently noticed that the "mobo" does not have 8XAPG support...so will it work still if I plug in a ATI 9700 PRO?
Is this a good choice of motherboard? I has the Intel 845PE chipset.
I still haven't started to put stuff together as I still need to buy a bunch of stuff...video card, case, sound card, monitor, and most important...the processor.
Help on this matter would be appreciated it.

Good choice for the mobo. Next, you need a good case. Newegg has a pretty good selection. I would go with a chieftec or antec with 350-420 watt dual fan power supply. For the video card, the nvidia 4200 or ati 8500 are good values. The newer 9500 pro won't break your budget either. As for the cpu, do you really need hyperthreading? If not, go with the 2.4b or 2.53 and overclock them a little. They should run pretty stable at about 150 fsb. Agp 8x doesn't even run stable on some boards at the 8x setting, and your board doesn't support it, so go for value. I use newegg's refurbished section for video cards. If you find one you like, order it fast, as they sell out in minutes or even seconds. Memory is pretty cheap right now. Go for samsung, crucial (micron), or corsair. 512 megs of pc2700 or pc3200 is plenty.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
It will work just fine with 9700PRO. In truth, 8X AGP is very, very overrated. It really adds nothing at all to the system, but at least it is backward compatible with older AGP standards.

IF you are trying to decide where the best place is to invest your money, let me give you two pieces of advice I have learned from experience. Buy an excellent case, and an excellent monitor. After all, both the case and the monitor will survive and serve you well through multiple upgrades, whereas the processor, graphics card--even the RAM and hard drives--will be practically obsolete within 18 months. I bought a Sony E400 19" Trinitron almost four years ago, and I'm still using it, and it still gives me a better image than 90% of other monitors I've seen. Yes, it did cost me twice as much as an ordinary monitor but hell...the MONITOR is what you're gonna be LOOKIN AT all day. The best graphics card in the world won't make a crappy monitor look good, whereas a really good monitor will bring out the best in even a cheap graphics card.

Okay, so I'm a monitor-phile. It's really hard for me not to run out and buy the Mitsu Diamondtron 22". since I've heard it looks even better than Trinitron. :) Just don't get me started on cases. Hehe!

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.