Incomplete BIOS flash

jmoyer

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2003
I have a Shuttle SN41G2 and it no longer will boot. It had been working fine and then I flashed in the latest BIOS update (fn41s00y.exe) from Shuttle website. I started the program and after a minute or so wait I saw no change in the update screen, so thinking it was done, I believe I may have prematurely ended the flash. Now when I press reset button, the bios works up to a point but then right after it does all the memory verification and shows IDE drives, it goes to a blank screen with just a flashing cursor up in the left corner. Will not boot from Harddrive nor floppy.

At first I thought I may have flashed in a wrong bios, but I rechecked and bios file for fn41 is the right one. I do have the bios update on floppy if it would let me boot so I could run it. I see in the motherboard manual for FN41 that there is a CMOS reset jumper but I assume that will only reset parameter values and not the whole bios program.

Anyone have ideas how I might recover or do I need to send motherboard back?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Try the BIOS jumper first... it may be simply a parameters problem (scrambled by the flash).

It could also be that you got a bad download of the new bios in which case I'd suggest going out and getting new copies of the original and the update. Put them on floppies according to Shuttle's instructions...

If you can get it to boot to the floppy, with the jumper, try re-flashing it.

If that doesn't work, try with the original BIOS.

If that doesn't get it going... you're probably going to have to send it back.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Definitely clear the c-mos. if there is no jumper unplug the power and remove the bios battery for about 10 sec then try to post.

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!