FPS drops to 1 every 3minutes.

visom2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Hi I have an issue with my computer and it has been a few months since I've had it, it wasn't TOO big but I couldn't find any answers.

My problem is, whenever I'm playing any types of games (even the VERY LOW requirement ones like SC or HL1) my FPS drops down to 1 for 2-3 seconds, every 3-5minutes that happens. It is extremely frustrating whenever I get killed in a FPS because of it but I don't game much so its not too bad.

I was first thinking it might be a virus or something but I kind of doubt it.
My friend thinks that it might be a problem with my RAMs (either vRAMs or memory, I forgot).
Or could it be another hardware issues?

I'm thinking about reformatting my computer to see if the problem will go anyway (and also because my friend accidentally put my 10GB backup drive as my main one lol, btw would it be bad to just have big partition instead of splitting it up into 2?)

Thanks for any help.
Sorry if this is the wrong spot.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
What are all of the hardware components in your system? Are you talking about online play or doing single player modes where you aren't connected to the net? List your components and someone can lend a hand.

For partitioning I like to keep my OS to it's own smaller partition and try to keep any important files off it. I am not a RAID person so I go this way instead. I would never recommend doing one volume but if you have no choice...screw it.

Sometimes wiping out your OS and re-installing it can really come in handy, just like what you are considering though. Sometimes viruses hit or you screw up your registry with driversweeper :pfff: ...I have even had Windows randomly end up with corrupted files and need a clean install. In any case, it is nice to have the OS separated from your other files so you don't lose anything if you have to format.

visom2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Thanks for the help about the partition spinacheater!

Ok my computer is basically an HP Pavilion a1120n which I bought on 2004 (with a few extra parts I bought)

CPU: Pentium4 3.06ghz
RAMS: 3GB (1gb pqi ram, 2gb ocz)
HDD: barracuda seagate 200GB
Video: Integrated chipset 128MB
mobo: ASUS PTGD1-LA

G

BUMP!!!!

I'm having the same problem, when I play both Wolf:ET (Online game) and Half Life 2 (Offline Single Player) every few minutes my game grinds to 1 and then 0 fps and then restabilises after about 6-7 seconds!

Manufacturer:
Hewlett-Packard
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory:
2046MB RAM
Hard Drive:
400GB (2 HDD's)
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
Monitor:
17" Widescreen
Sound Card:
Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers/Headphones:
Logitech Headset
Mouse:
Logitech MX518
Mouse Surface:
Everglide Titan
Operating System:
Windows Vista™ Home Premium

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Immediate thoughts goto a piece of spyware / malware impacting your resources on a set cycle, ie in your case every few minutes.

Done your virus scans?

G

Yeh, I was thinking so. I'm usually very careful in terms of infecting my system but I suppose there is the chance.

Quite infuriating when it happens in game and I get killed :x

I've tried many virus scanners but don't have a preferred one, any recommendations?

TRENDING THREADS