Coldfoot Kicks Back.........

I've got my new Assassin up to lvl 53 or so, and have no idea where to go
next.

So far:
20 Dragon Talon
20 Blades of Ice
5 Shadow Master
1 BoS/MB/BF/DS/DF/Fade/WB, etc

I plan on adding 5 more into Shadow Master, then all remaining points are up
for grabs. Should I put some into Phoenix Strike for the BoI synergy? Pump
Death Sentry? Blade Sentinel?

I thought about Dragon Tail, but it seems like the added Fire damage doesn't
add up to much unless combined with Tiger Strike.

short - suggestions??

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:30:32 -0400, short wrote:

> I've got my new Assassin up to lvl 53 or so, and have no idea where to go
> next.

So what happened to BigAxer anyway? Is he retired?

> So far:
> 20 Dragon Talon
> 20 Blades of Ice
> 5 Shadow Master
> 1 BoS/MB/BF/DS/DF/Fade/WB, etc
>
> I plan on adding 5 more into Shadow Master, then all remaining points are up
> for grabs. Should I put some into Phoenix Strike for the BoI synergy? Pump
> Death Sentry? Blade Sentinel?
>
> I thought about Dragon Tail, but it seems like the added Fire damage doesn't
> add up to much unless combined with Tiger Strike.

I guess you need the PS synergy if you want to kill stuff with cold.
Otherwise, 20 Blades of Ice is slower and less effective than high
level MindBlast just for stopping monsters from bothering you.

keith

"short" <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote in message news:<425544c8$1_1@127.0.0.1>...
> I've got my new Assassin up to lvl 53 or so, and have no idea where to go
> next.
>
> So far:
> 20 Dragon Talon
> 20 Blades of Ice
> 5 Shadow Master
> 1 BoS/MB/BF/DS/DF/Fade/WB, etc
>
> I plan on adding 5 more into Shadow Master, then all remaining points are up
> for grabs. Should I put some into Phoenix Strike for the BoI synergy? Pump
> Death Sentry? Blade Sentinel?
>
> I thought about Dragon Tail, but it seems like the added Fire damage doesn't
> add up to much unless combined with Tiger Strike.
>

> short - suggestions??

Look up here Cold Maiden dont know if its any good.

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=126543

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:57:56 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Last2Know wrote:

>>> And I don't have the patience to
>>> trade in channel.
>>
>> Me neither unless I am just doing a "currency trade".
>> For USWSC I trade here:
>> http://www.rpgforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=24
>>
>> There are parallel forums for other realms.
>
> Thanks for the link. Wow! A thread started yesterday (Giveaway) has over a
> thousand replies!

I think you are looking at the date of the last reply to the
ongoing giveaway thread.

>>> I did try for a few days, and the best offer I got
>>> was the Milebrega set and a Vipermagi.
>>
>> If you make a hell game "CombatGC_4_IstUm" it might take
>> you an hour. If you make a hell game "CombatGC_4Ist" I
>> bet it takes less than 10 minutes. You could pick a
>> strategy in between also.
>
> Hmmm. I found a Pally combat charm the other day, I might try this, my
> pally/s doesn't need it and I can always use runes. However I have more of a
> need for Mals, Kos and Fals. How do you know that the runes you get aren't
> duped and will disappear?

I've heard a lot of talk about how dupes might disappear but never
any confirmed instances of that. Aren't SOJs still as common
as dirt off-ladder from the duping of 3 years ago (despite a
lot of pinheads selling them to try and meet DC clone)?

If Blizzard was able and willing to eliminate dupes of items,
they would have done so a long time ago. They are probably
not willing because there is no way someone trading for an
item would know it is a dupe in most cases, so they don't
want to harm innocent users. In the case of runes, the
original dupers may also have used the H-Cube to create
non-dupe versions of what started out as dupes anyway.
Also, at the end of the day, it is just a game. It's not
like one is basing real life savings on it. When a new
ladder starts most of us just end up throwing or giving
away our old gear anyway.

> I also have a bit of other gear that I'd rather trade for runes so I can
> make some of the runewords I crave. However I'd hate to lose my
> gear/runes, especially the really good stuff.

I guess if you really value something then you shouldn't trade
it anyway. If you only value it a little and just want to
be extra cautious you could always trade for the runes below
and then cube up a fresh rune. I am close to 100% sure that Blizz
would not be able to know if some of the runes that went into
a randomly cubed new rune signature were dupes.

> Is it best to trade in hell games?

It seems like there is more trading in hell level games
than in norm games. My general sense is that the rpgforums
are an informed buyers market, the battlenet forums are
an informed sellers market, and bnet games are an uninformed
sellers market. So "best" depends on your needs. I use
rpgforums for buying and selling because the pace is leisurely,
I don't need to check it constantly or wait around, and
the people are sane - I often mule trade and when I do
meet people in games they generally just drop stuff on
the ground.

alice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004

Last2Know wrote:
> [...]

Channel is best when you are looking for random items, meaning you are
just watching / hoping for something interesting - that you don't
really need - being offered at good price. When you are there squelch
all the bots.

Game list could also be used for same purpose as channel. Furthermore,
it is also good to "buy currency" fast.

> > Hmmm. I found a Pally combat charm the other day, I might try this,
my
> > pally/s doesn't need it and I can always use runes. However I have
more of a
> > need for Mals, Kos and Fals. How do you know that the runes you get
aren't
> > duped and will disappear?

You can't tell. Generally, Mal and below are safe, Ist is somewhat
risky, Gul is risky, Vex is very risky, the rest are definitely duped.
C'mon, none would trade their Sur rune for mere 2 Ist (W SCL) after
almost getting carpal tunnel syndrome finding one.

Misfit, if you are afraid something might disappear, consider Sylas.
The high runes for Doom, 2x CoH, and Beast are most definitely duped.
Heck, even his Ist's are quite likely to be dupes (except the one from
Kai). Lastly, even though his Vex and Zod are legit (there is the
answer to the question you asked sometime ago), his Eth Zerker came
from a trade. I am quite sure they don't / won't disappear for the
same reason as Last2Know said.

> I've heard a lot of talk about how dupes might disappear but never
> any confirmed instances of that. Aren't SOJs still as common
> as dirt off-ladder from the duping of 3 years ago (despite a
> lot of pinheads selling them to try and meet DC clone)?

Nope, SoJ's are not too common. If they are, they won't be sold at
Ist+Um, in fact they were sometimes sold for 2 Ist the last few weeks I
played. Do dupes disappear? Several said so, but obviously there is
no way to prove it.

> It seems like there is more trading in hell level games
> than in norm games. My general sense is that the rpgforums
> are an informed buyers market, the battlenet forums are
> an informed sellers market, and bnet games are an uninformed

If you are an informed buyer, doesn't that make you an informed seller?
e.g. Knowing Jah rune worths 2 Ist, would you pay 2 Ist + Um, or would
you sell it for Ist + 2 Um? Unless time is a factor, I doubt you will.

> sellers market. So "best" depends on your needs. I use

Absolutely. For example, my definition of best is where I can buy at
cheapest price and sell at highest price. Keep an eye for the bottom
line - profit - so I am taught. Knowing each market characteristics
helps you to get your "best" trading needs, whatever your definition of
"best" is.

> rpgforums for buying and selling because the pace is leisurely,
> I don't need to check it constantly or wait around, and
> the people are sane - I often mule trade and when I do
> meet people in games they generally just drop stuff on
> the ground.

RPGTraders is even more leisurely paced. Both are maintained by
diabloii.net. I believe all trading communities practices drop trades
among their well known members. RPGTraders for one has a rating system
based on number of positive feedbacks, once you get a high rating,
newcomers or those with lower rating usually drop their items first or
send their mules first without you asking - or just ask them to if they
don't :)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:38:17 -0700, Alice wrote:

> Last2Know wrote:

> You can't tell. Generally, Mal and below are safe, Ist is somewhat
> risky, Gul is risky, Vex is very risky, the rest are definitely duped.
> C'mon, none would trade their Sur rune for mere 2 Ist (W SCL) after
> almost getting carpal tunnel syndrome finding one.

If they don't need Sur for a runeword and the going rate is
2 Ist (for whatever reason seems to actually be Ist 2 Um for
high runes on WSCL these days) then 2Ist might be there best option.

I've seen lots of instances of Ist being spent like water or used
as tips, so I figure they are often duped too.

>> I've heard a lot of talk about how dupes might disappear but never
>> any confirmed instances of that. Aren't SOJs still as common
>> as dirt off-ladder from the duping of 3 years ago (despite a
>> lot of pinheads selling them to try and meet DC clone)?
>
> Nope, SoJ's are not too common. If they are, they won't be sold at
> Ist+Um, in fact they were sometimes sold for 2 Ist the last few weeks I
> played.

Wow. I don't pay much attention to NL but I still often see SOJ
just being thrown into trades. Maybe those people trading are
out of date, but I'm sure they are not trading their last 1 or 2
SOJ.

>Do dupes disappear? Several said so, but obviously there is
> no way to prove it.

Bugged items disappear, so duped bugged items go poof along
with that. But I haven't run into anybody reliable who
reported that just high runes or something disappeared
from their account. Also, sometimes passwords are stolen
so its possible that spurious reports about duping deletion
could be generated by someone who was robbed.

>> It seems like there is more trading in hell level games
>> than in norm games. My general sense is that the rpgforums
>> are an informed buyers market, the battlenet forums are
>> an informed sellers market, and bnet games are an uninformed
>
> If you are an informed buyer, doesn't that make you an informed seller?
> e.g. Knowing Jah rune worths 2 Ist, would you pay 2 Ist + Um, or would
> you sell it for Ist + 2 Um? Unless time is a factor, I doubt you will.

Yes. "Buyers market" means that overall price equilibrium favors
buyers (i.e. prices low) and "Sellers market" means that overall
price equilibrium favors sellers. 'Relative to what?' is a good
question - I mean relative to each other and the channel. Informed
means that a high proportion of buyers and sellers are informed
about current pricing in general.

>> sellers market. So "best" depends on your needs. I use
>
> Absolutely. For example, my definition of best is where I can buy at
> cheapest price and sell at highest price.

A given market tends to have an equilibrium price for a commonly
traded good, but there can be a high proportion of uninformed
or "in a hurry" buyers or sellers that give better deals.

Another, perhaps more important point to make is that pricing of valued
stuff in most of the markets we are talking about are dominated by
dedicated PvP players. A more casual PvM player like me (or, I think,
most readers of AGD) can take advantage of that by valuing items
differently and not caring too much whether a given item is close to
perfect stats or whether an effective char has optimal gear - e.g
I basically don't care about a different of 30-40 Defense on
an item while some PvP players will pay Ist multiples difference
for the higher defense version.

>> rpgforums for buying and selling because the pace is leisurely,
>> I don't need to check it constantly or wait around, and
>> the people are sane - I often mule trade and when I do
>> meet people in games they generally just drop stuff on
>> the ground.
>
> RPGTraders is even more leisurely paced. Both are maintained by
> diabloii.net.

Thanks for the reminder. That similarity of names, hosting, interface,
and other things like the ads on the sites, is confusing to the point
where I had visited rpgtraders a long time ago and not realized
it was unconnected.

>I believe all trading communities practices drop trades
> among their well known members. RPGTraders for one has a rating system
> based on number of positive feedbacks, once you get a high rating,
> newcomers or those with lower rating usually drop their items first or
> send their mules first without you asking - or just ask them to if they
> don't :)

Lots of people who didn't know me at all still dropped first when
I encountered them. I did get burned exactly once when I tried to trade
a NL anni for ladder stuff without realizing that I could ask for
a mod or how valuable it was (didn't have much value to me because
I wasn't playing NL anymore, but I could have done things differently
and traded it for a lot of L stuff).

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> Last2Know wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:57:56 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
> >
> >> Last2Know wrote:

<snippers>

> >> Is it best to trade in hell games?
> >
> > It seems like there is more trading in hell level games
> > than in norm games. My general sense is that the rpgforums
> > are an informed buyers market, the battlenet forums are
> > an informed sellers market, and bnet games are an uninformed
> > sellers market. So "best" depends on your needs. I use
> > rpgforums for buying and selling because the pace is leisurely,
> > I don't need to check it constantly or wait around, and
> > the people are sane - I often mule trade and when I do
> > meet people in games they generally just drop stuff on
> > the ground.
>
> Thanks for that. Food for thought.
> --

I don't know if its "best" to trade in hell games, but I see more of them on
the list than when I'm looking at the list of normal games nowadays.

short