Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Wireless Router - What you recommend?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 27, 2004 7:15:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking at
DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at, or
are those the 3 biggest manufactures?

Thanks,
Gareth
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 27, 2004 7:15:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:15:36 +0100, "Big Brother" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking at
>DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at, or
>are those the 3 biggest manufactures?

No, they are just the cheapest. There are other manufacturers that
offer features, quality, reliability, and astronomical prices that
these three do not offer. Also, note that these companies do NOT
manufacture anything. They put their name on products made in China,
Taiwan, Korea, and such, and resell them. You can often find
identical guts inside different plastic boxes from different
companies. Similarly, you may find the same guts with radically
different firmware.

Since you didn't offer any applications criteria for selection, I
can't offer any specific advice. I suggest you dig through the
reviews at:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com
http://www.practicallynetworked.com
and see if anything looks interesting.


--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
August 27, 2004 7:15:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Big Brother,

From personal experience, I had two SMC wireless routers. One had
a connector in the back go bad after a year....the other had faulty firewall
(blocked images on IE), so it had to be run with firewall disabled.
Eventually, it refused to load certain pages. I bought a Linksys 54G
wireless router 3 months ago. It has excellent range and has operated
flawlessly from day one. It even works with the SMC wireless card
in my notebook.

Just my $.02.
Scott

Big Brother wrote:

> Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking at
> DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at, or
> are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
>
> Thanks,
> Gareth
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 27, 2004 11:42:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Thanks for your input. I am interested in that device, I have looked at the
dlink wireless routers, but they don't seem to provide dynamic dns options
which I'm looking for. I believe the Linksys 54G wireless router has this.

Gareth

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
news:412F7CFE.3C9626B6@uslink.net...
> Big Brother,
>
> From personal experience, I had two SMC wireless routers. One had
> a connector in the back go bad after a year....the other had faulty
> firewall
> (blocked images on IE), so it had to be run with firewall disabled.
> Eventually, it refused to load certain pages. I bought a Linksys 54G
> wireless router 3 months ago. It has excellent range and has operated
> flawlessly from day one. It even works with the SMC wireless card
> in my notebook.
>
> Just my $.02.
> Scott
>
> Big Brother wrote:
>
>> Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking
>> at
>> DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at,
>> or
>> are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gareth
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 12:16:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi, allow me to join in. Let's say I want a hotspot at home. I'll go over
your links when I can, and shop for whatever. If I were to hook something
up, care to recommend anything? My budget is not unlimited, but not really
restricted either. I can bring in DSL, cable or satellite. No I do not
need a t-1 for my needs. I don't care if the neighbors crash my system
occasionally, but I want the option to password access the system just in
case. I have two desktops at home and two notebooks. The one notebook
802.11bg, and my IBM R-40 is just 802.11b. The desktops will have whatever
I buy to put it together. Keep it simple and reliable. No external
antenna's, no range extenders, and no yagi please.



> Since you didn't offer any applications criteria for selection, I
> can't offer any specific advice. I suggest you dig through the
> reviews at:
> http://www.tomsnetworking.com
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com
> and see if anything looks interesting.
>
>
> --
> Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
> 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 2:18:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>If I were to hook something
>up, care to recommend anything? My budget is not unlimited, but not really
>restricted either. I can bring in DSL, cable or satellite.

You really need to talk about your coverage expectations and what kind of
construction you will be installing in. That said, I've been pleased with both
my Linksys WRT54G and Dlink routers. Both are available for well under $100.

www.broadbandreports.com is a good resource also.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 2:18:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

100 foot radius is fine. The lot is 50 by 200, and the house is wood frame
stucco. Most uses are within 30 feet of the wireless router. I'll check
out your link too, thanks

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:0p10j0th4m7ovtl2bd7ffjftq193tnuo2n@4ax.com...
> "Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >If I were to hook something
> >up, care to recommend anything? My budget is not unlimited, but not
really
> >restricted either. I can bring in DSL, cable or satellite.
>
> You really need to talk about your coverage expectations and what kind of
> construction you will be installing in. That said, I've been pleased with
both
> my Linksys WRT54G and Dlink routers. Both are available for well under
$100.
>
> www.broadbandreports.com is a good resource also.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 2:48:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

most routers have dyn/dns, read the spec it should show, di624 here has it.

One router worthy of a look thats not well known is compex, cpx.com.
I have one here I've played with a lot in several different setups - really
like it!
the only thing I dislike is firewall beyond NAT is a $25 option.
Has couple of extra features not heard talked of often.
They dont seem to advertise it but the np26g-USB router can be flashed into
a 4port/AP. sort of a wired or wireless client AP wds. Which is handy!

"Big Brother" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:cgnvah$91m$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Thanks for your input. I am interested in that device, I have looked at
the
> dlink wireless routers, but they don't seem to provide dynamic dns options
> which I'm looking for. I believe the Linksys 54G wireless router has this.
>
> Gareth
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> news:412F7CFE.3C9626B6@uslink.net...
> > Big Brother,
> >
> > From personal experience, I had two SMC wireless routers. One had
> > a connector in the back go bad after a year....the other had faulty
> > firewall
> > (blocked images on IE), so it had to be run with firewall disabled.
> > Eventually, it refused to load certain pages. I bought a Linksys 54G
> > wireless router 3 months ago. It has excellent range and has operated
> > flawlessly from day one. It even works with the SMC wireless card
> > in my notebook.
> >
> > Just my $.02.
> > Scott
> >
> > Big Brother wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been
looking
> >> at
> >> DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking
at,
> >> or
> >> are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Gareth
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 3:33:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Cisco 350 is 802.11b. I don't need g today, but I think the system should
incorporate g. 1200 system looks a bit expensive for a 3 or 4 node home
system. I just don't know what I'm buying for the extra cost.

"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
news:o t30j0ptd4c6c9avd95ero0k7egeu9sskp@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:16:28 -0700, "Alesandra"
> <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Disclaimer: These aren't the best. They're just what I've played
> with and kinda like. For my customers with money, I tend to buy Cisco
> 350 and 1200 systems.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 3:40:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Big Brother wrote:

> Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking at
> DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at, or
> are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
>
> Thanks,
> Gareth
>
>


I have a d-link model DI-514 that I haven't thrown in the trash yet, but
I probably will. (I never could get it to work and I went back to wired
network.) I'll probably never buy another d-link product, even though
my employer buys *lots* of their switches and hubs. They buy Cisco
wireless stuff.

Bob
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 12:45:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:33:47 -0700, "Alesandra"
<rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Cisco 350 is 802.11b. I don't need g today, but I think the system should
>incorporate g. 1200 system looks a bit expensive for a 3 or 4 node home
>system. I just don't know what I'm buying for the extra cost.

Sorry, my brain wasn't in gear. The Cisco 350 and 1200 hardware is
for my commercial customers. It's overkill for a home user, although
used hardware is often available for tolerable prices. The major
advantages of such hardware is that it has remote management
capabilties (SNMP) and a real operating system (IOS).

Also, you may have a potential problem running a mixed 802.11b and
802.11g system. 802.11g slows down somewhat in the presence of
802.11b radios in order to maintain 802.11b compatibility. It's only
a problem if you're doing high speed file copies between your machines
or a local server. Data from the internet via a DSL or Cable modem
will be slower than what 802.11g will run at such speeds, so you won't
see much of an effect. If possible, you may need to upgrade the R40
to 802.11g. However, I would try it with the existing 802.11b adapter
first as it will probably be adequate for the intended purpose.

>"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
>news:o t30j0ptd4c6c9avd95ero0k7egeu9sskp@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:16:28 -0700, "Alesandra"
>> <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Disclaimer: These aren't the best. They're just what I've played
>> with and kinda like. For my customers with money, I tend to buy Cisco
>> 350 and 1200 systems.
>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 1:01:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

the stucco is probably laid over a wire mesh that looks something like
chicken wire which is stapled to the framing. in my house so constructed i
found that it was difficult to transmit to/from the house from outside.

jtm


"Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:2paljaFilm2eU1@uni-berlin.de...
100 foot radius is fine. The lot is 50 by 200, and the house is wood frame
stucco. Most uses are within 30 feet of the wireless router. I'll check
out your link too, thanks

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:0p10j0th4m7ovtl2bd7ffjftq193tnuo2n@4ax.com...
> "Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >If I were to hook something
> >up, care to recommend anything? My budget is not unlimited, but not
really
> >restricted either. I can bring in DSL, cable or satellite.
>
> You really need to talk about your coverage expectations and what kind of
> construction you will be installing in. That said, I've been pleased with
both
> my Linksys WRT54G and Dlink routers. Both are available for well under
$100.
>
> www.broadbandreports.com is a good resource also.
August 28, 2004 3:57:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Big Brother,

I'm not sure what you mean by dynamic dns settings. If you could be
more specific, I can check my Linksys 54G router to see if it has
that option.

Scott

Big Brother wrote:

> Thanks for your input. I am interested in that device, I have looked at the
> dlink wireless routers, but they don't seem to provide dynamic dns options
> which I'm looking for. I believe the Linksys 54G wireless router has this.
>
> Gareth
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> news:412F7CFE.3C9626B6@uslink.net...
> > Big Brother,
> >
> > From personal experience, I had two SMC wireless routers. One had
> > a connector in the back go bad after a year....the other had faulty
> > firewall
> > (blocked images on IE), so it had to be run with firewall disabled.
> > Eventually, it refused to load certain pages. I bought a Linksys 54G
> > wireless router 3 months ago. It has excellent range and has operated
> > flawlessly from day one. It even works with the SMC wireless card
> > in my notebook.
> >
> > Just my $.02.
> > Scott
> >
> > Big Brother wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking
> >> at
> >> DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at,
> >> or
> >> are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Gareth
> >
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 3:57:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>I'm not sure what you mean by dynamic dns settings. If you could be
>more specific, I can check my Linksys 54G router to see if it has
>that option.

The dynamic DNS feature means that your router will report your dynamic IP
address to a DNS organization, which in turn will map a domain name to that
address. That means that if you are hosting a web server or other server behind
a cable modem or DSL service that changes your IP address, you don't need to
manually update or keep track of your new address.

The Linksys WRT54G supports this with dyndns.org and tzo.com.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 5:12:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

my dlink, an older 614+ that's the "b" standard works just fine except in
one corner of the house; tech support has been very good
"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:0p10j0th4m7ovtl2bd7ffjftq193tnuo2n@4ax.com...
> "Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>If I were to hook something
>>up, care to recommend anything? My budget is not unlimited, but not
>>really
>>restricted either. I can bring in DSL, cable or satellite.
>
> You really need to talk about your coverage expectations and what kind of
> construction you will be installing in. That said, I've been pleased with
> both
> my Linksys WRT54G and Dlink routers. Both are available for well under
> $100.
>
> www.broadbandreports.com is a good resource also.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 10:05:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

For people that don't have a static ip, there is an alternative.

"The Dynamic DNSSM service allows you to alias a dynamic IP address to a
static hostname in any of the many domains we offer, allowing your computer
to be more easily accessed from various locations on the Internet. We
provide this service, for up to five (5) hostnames, free to the Internet
community"

http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/

There should be an option on the router where you can enter a username or
address and password. E.g myname.dyndns.org

Thanks,
Gareth



"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
news:4130C77E.6BD467C@uslink.net...
> Big Brother,
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by dynamic dns settings. If you could be
> more specific, I can check my Linksys 54G router to see if it has
> that option.
>
> Scott
>
> Big Brother wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your input. I am interested in that device, I have looked at
>> the
>> dlink wireless routers, but they don't seem to provide dynamic dns
>> options
>> which I'm looking for. I believe the Linksys 54G wireless router has
>> this.
>>
>> Gareth
>>
>> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
>> news:412F7CFE.3C9626B6@uslink.net...
>> > Big Brother,
>> >
>> > From personal experience, I had two SMC wireless routers. One had
>> > a connector in the back go bad after a year....the other had faulty
>> > firewall
>> > (blocked images on IE), so it had to be run with firewall disabled.
>> > Eventually, it refused to load certain pages. I bought a Linksys 54G
>> > wireless router 3 months ago. It has excellent range and has operated
>> > flawlessly from day one. It even works with the SMC wireless card
>> > in my notebook.
>> >
>> > Just my $.02.
>> > Scott
>> >
>> > Big Brother wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been
>> >> looking
>> >> at
>> >> DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking
>> >> at,
>> >> or
>> >> are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
>> >>
>> >> Thanks,
>> >> Gareth
>> >
>
August 28, 2004 10:05:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Big Brother wrote:
> For people that don't have a static ip, there is an alternative.
>
> "The Dynamic DNSSM service allows you to alias a dynamic IP address to a
> static hostname in any of the many domains we offer, allowing your computer
> to be more easily accessed from various locations on the Internet. We
> provide this service, for up to five (5) hostnames, free to the Internet
> community"
>
> http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/
>
> There should be an option on the router where you can enter a username or
> address and password. E.g myname.dyndns.org
>
> Thanks,
> Gareth

Check ZyXEL G-2000. Good, stable router with a real OS, SPI firewall...

-L
August 29, 2004 3:18:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Clark,

Yes, I checked my Linksys router and it supports dyndns.org and tzo.com,
as you say.

Scott

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote:

> Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure what you mean by dynamic dns settings. If you could be
> >more specific, I can check my Linksys 54G router to see if it has
> >that option.
>
> The dynamic DNS feature means that your router will report your dynamic IP
> address to a DNS organization, which in turn will map a domain name to that
> address. That means that if you are hosting a web server or other server behind
> a cable modem or DSL service that changes your IP address, you don't need to
> manually update or keep track of your new address.
>
> The Linksys WRT54G supports this with dyndns.org and tzo.com.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 29, 2004 1:03:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Big Brother wrote:

> Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking at
> DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at, or
> are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
>
> Thanks,
> Gareth
>
>

I have had generally positive experiences with Netgear products, of
which I have several, but universally negative with the company. For all
practical purposes they offer no support. For that reason alone I would
strongly recommend against Netgear.
!