New Wireless Router - What you recommend?

Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking at
DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at, or
are those the 3 biggest manufactures?

Thanks,
Gareth
18 answers Last reply
More about wireless router recommend

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:15:36 +0100, "Big Brother" <nospam@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking at
    >DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at, or
    >are those the 3 biggest manufactures?

    No, they are just the cheapest. There are other manufacturers that
    offer features, quality, reliability, and astronomical prices that
    these three do not offer. Also, note that these companies do NOT
    manufacture anything. They put their name on products made in China,
    Taiwan, Korea, and such, and resell them. You can often find
    identical guts inside different plastic boxes from different
    companies. Similarly, you may find the same guts with radically
    different firmware.

    Since you didn't offer any applications criteria for selection, I
    can't offer any specific advice. I suggest you dig through the
    reviews at:
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com
    and see if anything looks interesting.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Big Brother,

    From personal experience, I had two SMC wireless routers. One had
    a connector in the back go bad after a year....the other had faulty firewall
    (blocked images on IE), so it had to be run with firewall disabled.
    Eventually, it refused to load certain pages. I bought a Linksys 54G
    wireless router 3 months ago. It has excellent range and has operated
    flawlessly from day one. It even works with the SMC wireless card
    in my notebook.

    Just my $.02.
    Scott

    Big Brother wrote:

    > Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking at
    > DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at, or
    > are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gareth

    Thanks for your input. I am interested in that device, I have looked at the
    dlink wireless routers, but they don't seem to provide dynamic dns options
    which I'm looking for. I believe the Linksys 54G wireless router has this.

    Gareth

    "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > Big Brother,
    >
    > From personal experience, I had two SMC wireless routers. One had
    > a connector in the back go bad after a year....the other had faulty
    > firewall
    > (blocked images on IE), so it had to be run with firewall disabled.
    > Eventually, it refused to load certain pages. I bought a Linksys 54G
    > wireless router 3 months ago. It has excellent range and has operated
    > flawlessly from day one. It even works with the SMC wireless card
    > in my notebook.
    >
    > Just my $.02.
    > Scott
    >
    > Big Brother wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking
    >> at
    >> DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at,
    >> or
    >> are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Gareth

    Hi, allow me to join in. Let's say I want a hotspot at home. I'll go over
    your links when I can, and shop for whatever. If I were to hook something
    up, care to recommend anything? My budget is not unlimited, but not really
    restricted either. I can bring in DSL, cable or satellite. No I do not
    need a t-1 for my needs. I don't care if the neighbors crash my system
    occasionally, but I want the option to password access the system just in
    case. I have two desktops at home and two notebooks. The one notebook
    802.11bg, and my IBM R-40 is just 802.11b. The desktops will have whatever
    I buy to put it together. Keep it simple and reliable. No external
    antenna's, no range extenders, and no yagi please.

    "Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >If I were to hook something
    >up, care to recommend anything? My budget is not unlimited, but not really
    >restricted either. I can bring in DSL, cable or satellite.

    You really need to talk about your coverage expectations and what kind of
    construction you will be installing in. That said, I've been pleased with both
    my Linksys WRT54G and Dlink routers. Both are available for well under $100.

    www.broadbandreports.com is a good resource also.

    100 foot radius is fine. The lot is 50 by 200, and the house is wood frame
    stucco. Most uses are within 30 feet of the wireless router. I'll check
    out your link too, thanks

    "Clark W. Griswold, Jr." <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >If I were to hook something
    > >up, care to recommend anything? My budget is not unlimited, but not
    really
    > >restricted either. I can bring in DSL, cable or satellite.
    >
    > You really need to talk about your coverage expectations and what kind of
    > construction you will be installing in. That said, I've been pleased with
    both
    > my Linksys WRT54G and Dlink routers. Both are available for well under
    $100.

    > www.broadbandreports.com is a good resource also.

    most routers have dyn/dns, read the spec it should show, di624 here has it.

    One router worthy of a look thats not well known is compex, cpx.com.
    I have one here I've played with a lot in several different setups - really
    like it!
    the only thing I dislike is firewall beyond NAT is a $25 option.
    Has couple of extra features not heard talked of often.
    They dont seem to advertise it but the np26g-USB router can be flashed into
    a 4port/AP. sort of a wired or wireless client AP wds. Which is handy!

    "Big Brother" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your input. I am interested in that device, I have looked at
    the
    > dlink wireless routers, but they don't seem to provide dynamic dns options
    > which I'm looking for. I believe the Linksys 54G wireless router has this.
    >
    > Gareth
    >
    > "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > > Big Brother,
    > >
    > > From personal experience, I had two SMC wireless routers. One had
    > > a connector in the back go bad after a year....the other had faulty
    > > firewall
    > > (blocked images on IE), so it had to be run with firewall disabled.
    > > Eventually, it refused to load certain pages. I bought a Linksys 54G
    > > wireless router 3 months ago. It has excellent range and has operated
    > > flawlessly from day one. It even works with the SMC wireless card
    > > in my notebook.
    > >
    > > Just my $.02.
    > > Scott
    > >
    > > Big Brother wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been
    looking
    > >> at
    > >> DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking
    at,
    > >> or
    > >> are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Gareth

    Cisco 350 is 802.11b. I don't need g today, but I think the system should
    incorporate g. 1200 system looks a bit expensive for a 3 or 4 node home
    system. I just don't know what I'm buying for the extra cost.

    Big Brother wrote:

    > Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking at
    > DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at, or
    > are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gareth

    I have a d-link model DI-514 that I haven't thrown in the trash yet, but
    I probably will. (I never could get it to work and I went back to wired
    network.) I'll probably never buy another d-link product, even though
    my employer buys *lots* of their switches and hubs. They buy Cisco
    wireless stuff.

    Bob

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:33:47 -0700, "Alesandra"
    <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Cisco 350 is 802.11b. I don't need g today, but I think the system should
    >incorporate g. 1200 system looks a bit expensive for a 3 or 4 node home
    >system. I just don't know what I'm buying for the extra cost.

    Sorry, my brain wasn't in gear. The Cisco 350 and 1200 hardware is
    for my commercial customers. It's overkill for a home user, although
    used hardware is often available for tolerable prices. The major
    advantages of such hardware is that it has remote management
    capabilties (SNMP) and a real operating system (IOS).

    Also, you may have a potential problem running a mixed 802.11b and
    802.11g system. 802.11g slows down somewhat in the presence of
    802.11b radios in order to maintain 802.11b compatibility. It's only
    a problem if you're doing high speed file copies between your machines
    or a local server. Data from the internet via a DSL or Cable modem
    will be slower than what 802.11g will run at such speeds, so you won't
    see much of an effect. If possible, you may need to upgrade the R40
    to 802.11g. However, I would try it with the existing 802.11b adapter
    first as it will probably be adequate for the intended purpose.

    >"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:16:28 -0700, "Alesandra"
    >> <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> Disclaimer: These aren't the best. They're just what I've played
    >> with and kinda like. For my customers with money, I tend to buy Cisco
    >> 350 and 1200 systems.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    the stucco is probably laid over a wire mesh that looks something like
    chicken wire which is stapled to the framing. in my house so constructed i
    found that it was difficult to transmit to/from the house from outside.

    jtm

    "Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    100 foot radius is fine. The lot is 50 by 200, and the house is wood frame
    stucco. Most uses are within 30 feet of the wireless router. I'll check
    out your link too, thanks

    "Clark W. Griswold, Jr." <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >If I were to hook something
    > >up, care to recommend anything? My budget is not unlimited, but not
    really
    > >restricted either. I can bring in DSL, cable or satellite.
    >
    > You really need to talk about your coverage expectations and what kind of
    > construction you will be installing in. That said, I've been pleased with
    both
    > my Linksys WRT54G and Dlink routers. Both are available for well under
    $100.

    > www.broadbandreports.com is a good resource also.

    Big Brother,

    I'm not sure what you mean by dynamic dns settings. If you could be
    more specific, I can check my Linksys 54G router to see if it has
    that option.

    Scott

    Big Brother wrote:

    > Thanks for your input. I am interested in that device, I have looked at the
    > dlink wireless routers, but they don't seem to provide dynamic dns options
    > which I'm looking for. I believe the Linksys 54G wireless router has this.
    >
    > Gareth
    >
    > "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > > Big Brother,
    > >
    > > From personal experience, I had two SMC wireless routers. One had
    > > a connector in the back go bad after a year....the other had faulty
    > > firewall
    > > (blocked images on IE), so it had to be run with firewall disabled.
    > > Eventually, it refused to load certain pages. I bought a Linksys 54G
    > > wireless router 3 months ago. It has excellent range and has operated
    > > flawlessly from day one. It even works with the SMC wireless card
    > > in my notebook.
    > >
    > > Just my $.02.
    > > Scott
    > >
    > > Big Brother wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking
    > >> at
    > >> DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at,
    > >> or
    > >> are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Gareth

  13. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

    >I'm not sure what you mean by dynamic dns settings. If you could be
    >more specific, I can check my Linksys 54G router to see if it has
    >that option.

    The dynamic DNS feature means that your router will report your dynamic IP
    address to a DNS organization, which in turn will map a domain name to that
    address. That means that if you are hosting a web server or other server behind
    a cable modem or DSL service that changes your IP address, you don't need to
    manually update or keep track of your new address.

    The Linksys WRT54G supports this with dyndns.org and tzo.com.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    my dlink, an older 614+ that's the "b" standard works just fine except in
    one corner of the house; tech support has been very good
    "Clark W. Griswold, Jr." <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>If I were to hook something
    >>up, care to recommend anything? My budget is not unlimited, but not
    >>really
    >>restricted either. I can bring in DSL, cable or satellite.
    >
    > You really need to talk about your coverage expectations and what kind of
    > construction you will be installing in. That said, I've been pleased with
    > both
    > my Linksys WRT54G and Dlink routers. Both are available for well under
    > $100.
    >
    > www.broadbandreports.com is a good resource also.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    For people that don't have a static ip, there is an alternative.

    "The Dynamic DNSSM service allows you to alias a dynamic IP address to a
    static hostname in any of the many domains we offer, allowing your computer
    to be more easily accessed from various locations on the Internet. We
    provide this service, for up to five (5) hostnames, free to the Internet
    community"

    http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/

    There should be an option on the router where you can enter a username or
    address and password. E.g myname.dyndns.org

    > Big Brother,
    >
    > I'm not sure what you mean by dynamic dns settings. If you could be
    > more specific, I can check my Linksys 54G router to see if it has
    > that option.
    >
    > Scott
    >
    > Big Brother wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for your input. I am interested in that device, I have looked at
    >> the
    >> dlink wireless routers, but they don't seem to provide dynamic dns
    >> options
    >> which I'm looking for. I believe the Linksys 54G wireless router has
    >> this.
    >>
    >> Gareth
    >>
    >> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    >> > Big Brother,
    >> >
    >> > From personal experience, I had two SMC wireless routers. One had
    >> > a connector in the back go bad after a year....the other had faulty
    >> > firewall
    >> > (blocked images on IE), so it had to be run with firewall disabled.
    >> > Eventually, it refused to load certain pages. I bought a Linksys 54G
    >> > wireless router 3 months ago. It has excellent range and has operated
    >> > flawlessly from day one. It even works with the SMC wireless card
    >> > in my notebook.
    >> >
    >> > Just my $.02.
    >> > Scott

  16. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Big Brother wrote:
    > For people that don't have a static ip, there is an alternative.
    >
    > "The Dynamic DNSSM service allows you to alias a dynamic IP address to a
    > static hostname in any of the many domains we offer, allowing your computer
    > to be more easily accessed from various locations on the Internet. We
    > provide this service, for up to five (5) hostnames, free to the Internet
    > community"
    >
    > http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/
    >
    > There should be an option on the router where you can enter a username or
    > address and password. E.g myname.dyndns.org
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gareth

    Check ZyXEL G-2000. Good, stable router with a real OS, SPI firewall...

    -L
  17. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Clark,

    Yes, I checked my Linksys router and it supports dyndns.org and tzo.com,
    as you say.

    Scott

    "Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote:

    > Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm not sure what you mean by dynamic dns settings. If you could be
    > >more specific, I can check my Linksys 54G router to see if it has
    > >that option.
    >
    > The dynamic DNS feature means that your router will report your dynamic IP
    > address to a DNS organization, which in turn will map a domain name to that
    > address. That means that if you are hosting a web server or other server behind
    > a cable modem or DSL service that changes your IP address, you don't need to
    > manually update or keep track of your new address.
    >
    > The Linksys WRT54G supports this with dyndns.org and tzo.com.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Big Brother wrote:

    > Hi, I would like to purchase a Wireless Router (Wireless G). Been looking at
    > DLink, Netgear and Linksys. Are there any others I should be looking at, or
    > are those the 3 biggest manufactures?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gareth

    I have had generally positive experiences with Netgear products, of
    which I have several, but universally negative with the company. For all
    practical purposes they offer no support. For that reason alone I would
    strongly recommend against Netgear.

Wireless Router Wireless Wireless Networking