Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

BlakHart

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Hey all!

I just wanted to see what everyone thinks should be considered the Best PC First Person shooter of 2008. Forgive me if I did not include a game you might like I just pulled what I thought were "Big Titles."

Feel free to comment and explain your vote. Christmas time is coming and this will help those who are wondering what I want this year. :sol:

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Fallout 3 isnt FPS in my mind, its a RPG.

Some may call that picky. My reasoning is that the shooting isnt core to the game, character advancement, story and exploration is what Fallout 3 is about, with combat a means to an end.
Mirrors Edge - Action / Adventure.

The rest are what i would consider FPS.
Of them i'd have to pick S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky. Loved the graphics and the general atmosphere of the game and the package added up to a very pleasurable experience.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Heya,

Take Crysis WH off the list. It's a 4 hour game that adds nothing to Crysis.
Take FailCry2 off the list. Seriously.
Take Fallout3 off the list, it's an RPG that is first person or 3rd person that can be played without shooting you know.

Add:

Hell's Highway, Brothers in Arms

--- Left 4 Dead, even though it's just out, will easily top the charts. It's a real FPS, ie, first person and you do nothing but shoot. It's fast, it's fun and it's all about multiplayer. This is the very definition of FPS gaming. A good single player FPS will never match a good multiplayer FPS. Simple as that.

Very best,

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I suppose Fallout 3 could be played without shooting if you count hacking, slashing, punching, and bonking to not be shooting. You really are forced into combat situations quite often.

I can see calling Fallout 3 an FPS as long as it is acknowledged that it is an RPG first, and an RTS second.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Based on the demo alone, Left 4 Dead should have gotten Game of the Year status. The full game is even better, the complete campaigns are unbelievable and Versus mode is just sick.

As malveaux said, Far Cry 2 doesn't belong anywhere near the "top" of any year's games list.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
^ I agree. I was really looking forward to FC2 but it really fell short. It is not game of the year material.

I agree with malveaux too, Warhead is the same as Crysis...it is mildly entertaining to me but it is pretty much a mod, not a full title. That isn't a game of the year candidate either.

I haven't played CODWAW, but I hear it really let everyone down after COD4. I don't see that being a list topper other than in sales.

Left 4 Dead might be a good choice. I haven't played it but have been hearing nothing but good reviews. It is the next game I am going to get. The co-op play sounds pretty fun.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
None of the other games comes close to L4D. The game play is unmatched. Tons of fun. Man, Valve nailed the gameplay on this game. The blend of excitement, tense movie moments, and scary scenes is great. I just love when a player runs off by himself, u see that blue silhouette get smaller, you just know hes going to get jumped by Hunter. :pt1cable: And then he starts screaming over the mic"help me guys!" :cry:

mattycakes

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2008
Far Cry 2 really added up to little more than prancing back and forth across a tediously huge map while being molested by super-intelligent, constantly re-spawning and virtually indestructible bare chested guerrillas. A real let-down indeed.
Left 4 Dead is an amazing achievement in multiplayer gaming but that's about it. I fear that in a few few months once the hype and initial adrenaline wears off it will Left 4 Dead in the annals of history. There's not enough depth, variation or raw entertainment. I bought the game and am already bored with it, too monotonous.
That being said, FALLOUT 3 is by far the best shooter of the year without even intending to! Anything I could say won't to it justice so just buy it and play it, its a glimpse of gaming in heaven!

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
COD: WaW is a real let down. I had the chance to play it today, and it's definitely noticeable that it wasn't created by Infinity Ward. It has that designed for console feel to the maps, like your boxed in by a 1 foot high hill, and restricted to a small path in a jungle with a bunch of invisible barriers. It seems like the worst COD game to date, well maybe the 3rd is worse, but that didn't even make it to the PC.

As far as best FPS this year, I'd say Fallout 3 is the best game on the list, but it's more like RPG as others have mentioned, so I voted for Warhead. All in all, I think this year was disappointing for FPS on the PC. It seems like there were quite a few let downs after major hype.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
warhead was not that much of a let down after all,, we all knew that the folks at crytek,got their act together technically,positively stunning graphics,, but when it comes to telling a story and,, giving the player his head well ,,they are way out in left field with their hands in their pockets,,don't even want to get started of far cry 2,after all the hype,zilch,nada,rien,zero,and i actually saw a recommended review can't ,and do not want to remember when or where,out a sight out a mind..
Fallout 3 way to go Bethesda ,are you going to do a follow up,the one thing that gets me is,, where is all the food coming from 200 years after the event and,,there are no farmers,anyhow there should be user maps/mods out fairly soon i hope ,,yea Bethesda go,go...:)

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Clear Sky is about the best of the FPS games I've played this year.

I liked S.O.C. but CS is just more playable and more fun, as well as being substantially more involving. The graphics are gorgeous, and the enemies are much improved from the 1st game as well. Add in the RPG elements to involve you more in the story, and you get a rather nice game. It is a bit buggy at times, but provided you don't forget to save at key points you're fine. If you die less than once an hour you're probably doing it wrong. So for me it's my game of the year.

FarCry 2 I'm not impressed with, after driving jeeps into rivers for a couple of hours It just doesn't grab me. It's not a bad game, it's a rather pretty, but workmanlike FPS game. It just doesn't feel like it's got the same level of tactics as the 1st one.

I played Fallout 3 on my mate's machine, and after a couple of hours I was bored. That said Oblivion didn't grab me either, so I don't know why I thought Fallout would. There are obvious improvements, but none that make it enough for me to spend money on.

Not played the others yet, mainly because they haven't jumped off the shelf into my hand yet. However they can't be any more dissapointing than Red Alert 3, which for me regardless of genre is The Most Dissapointing Game Of The Year.